Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

1A to PRG. Can I just tag your bag to put it under the seat in front of you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1A to PRG. Can I just tag your bag to put it under the seat in front of you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by nux
The problem is that the tagging staff do not all understand that being in certain seats means the baggage must go in the overhead anyway.
...or that staff can't count up to 1
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Ahhh it gets REALLY confusing for them when you are in row 27 on domestic 767 -
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...and Mucci.
Originally Posted by nux
I have had this occur on numerous occasions when seated in row 1, F/CW or an exit row when travelling on BA both shorthaul and longhaul. The problem is that the tagging staff do not all understand that being in certain seats means the baggage must go in the overhead anyway.
According to CIHY and Bealine in other threads, the policy is to tag the 2nd piece of hand luggage only, regardless of cabin, exit row etc. The cabin crew are then responsible for allowing the 2nd piece to go above in exit/bulkhead/CW/F.

However, the operational execution of this policy is totally inconsistent today, you may or may not get the 2nd piece tagged. My strike rate is at best 50%. Staff tagging the 2nd piece aren't doing anything wrong according to policy even if you are in exit etc (whether the policy makes any sense is another issue).

However, the OP's point was that they only had one piece, and according to policy this should not be tagged regardless of which row/cabin you are in (though I guess there is nothing to stop staff asking you to accept one voluntarily on a busy flight, it happens all the time at LCY).

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 10, 2015 at 10:08 am Reason: Amend quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
And in my experience it is the "one piece" that they try and tag.....and frankly i will be damned if I am always trying to get it under the seat..they supply hang all leg room now so it should go over in the bin above, just beacuse I have a small bag does that mean I should pay the consequence of those with larger bags not in the hold/ Another mess from BA in terms of "baggage only fares" that in reality are now about the same costs as hold fares a year ago!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
I seem to recall the mantra being "it's a very full flight". Commercially I am happy for you, but it's my one piece of cabin baggage. It's nice and compact and it's going in the overhead. I don't recall an announcement "it's a very empty flight, please bring on board whatever you want".
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
I was on a DUB-LCY recently (E170) and the gate staff were proactively asking for volunteers to check their bags into the hold. Guess how many volunteers they got? None! They ended up checking about six bags in the end because those people were last on, and there was simply no room left. That was five minutes' faff.

Best way forward is to simply force people to check them and return them at the bottom of the steps when you land. It's really not hard for regional jets like the Embraers.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 10, 2015 at 10:09 am Reason: Remove response to deleted post
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
At NCL this morning the gate agents tagged every bag! Green label for overhead luggage and yellow for the second bag. There were a few moans telling the agents 'how ridiculous' this was and 'I don't need a label because ... ...'.

As the ticketed occupant of 1F, the agent came and put a tag on my bag and all she got from me was a simple thank you and a smile.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...and Mucci.
Originally Posted by paul4040

Back on topic: I was on a DUB-LCY recently (E170) and the gate staff were proactively asking for volunteers to check their bags into the hold. Guess how many volunteers they got? None! They ended up checking about six bags in the end because those people were last on, and there was simply no room left. That was five minutes' faff.

Best way forward is to simply force people to check them and return them at the bottom of the steps when you land. It's really not hard for regional jets like the Embraers.
The gate agents at LCY are quite adept at asking for "volunteers", though of course they tend to be more successful on the leisure routes/days.

Like the idea of having the gate checked bags returned at the aircraft on arrival, would it work at destinations where there is an airbridge, and would it be allowed at LCY? Part of the reason I sometimes take POUGs from LCY (apart from TPs) is to avoid being asked to gate check, I'd be a lot more willing if I could get the bag back at the aircraft.

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
At NCL this morning the gate agents tagged every bag! Green label for overhead luggage and yellow for the second bag. There were a few moans telling the agents 'how ridiculous' this was and 'I don't need a label because ... ...'.
Isn't the green tag simply to show that your bag is within allowable size for cabin baggage? Even less reason to moan about it.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:41 am
Original Poster

As the ticketed occupant of 1F, the agent came and put a tag on my bag and all she got from me was a simple thank you and a smile.
What colour was it?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat

I had the same at agents at VIE gate D24 on Sunday, having only one bag I said to the agent asking whether she can tag it 'No, thank you' and off she went. The next passenger spoke to her in German and she explained that it's now a rule from BA to tag everything... Though this is clearly legally unenforceable.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
If you only have one bag, you don't need to have a tag.

If you have two bags, you should receive a tag on your second bag no matter which cabin you are sitting in (and soon the size of second bags will be checked more often as new portable gages have been developed). These tags will be used whichever cabin you are in because although in CW and First, you cannot stow your second bag under the seat, many customers are transiting onto an aircraft where they will need to stow it down.

If you are sitting in a cabin or row where it is not possible to stow it down or you are not allowed to, you obviously won't have to. It really would be impossible for all ground staff to know which rows can and can't have tags and also very time consuming for both you and them if they had to check which row you were in and make every customer get out all their boarding cards for that flight and any they may be transiting onto also.

Of course you don't have to bring on two bags. If you don't want a tag or you just don't like stowing your second bag down, just don't bring two bags. Pretend you are flying with an airline that only allows one!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
If you only have one bag, you don't need to have a tag.
Your point about transiting is very well made.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:27 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
It is an interesting and not-unwelcome tactic IMHO. There are some flaws:
ET passengers still can stick their bags above CE seats
On one recent flight from CDG, some unscrupulous punters were tearing off the yellow tags in the corridor after BP check. Would it not be better to apply tags to the bags that are allowed in the overhead? Or am I confused?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by squeeler
... Would it not be better to apply tags to the bags that are allowed in the overhead? Or am I confused?
Which is what appears to bave happened at NCL this morning. All bags were being tagged.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by londonba2014
I think that they should just automatically gate check any larger items of luggage at the gate, when they get the sense that no more will fit in the cabin
I am 100% sure that BA used to do this many years ago. They'd take the wheeled suitcases off passengers at the gate and have them checked into the hold.

But BA simply need to do this much earlier on in the cycle and simply severely limit the amount of cabin baggage allowed. It would speed up security too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.