Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

1A to PRG. Can I just tag your bag to put it under the seat in front of you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1A to PRG. Can I just tag your bag to put it under the seat in front of you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Oh dear, all theses years I've been putting a bag under the seat in front without the tag on? I didn't realise I needed permission to do it!
You rebel
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Could see the inevitable happening on my FCO flight with the large volume of wheelies being brought down the aisle - cue 10 minutes of bag shuffling by the crew (and they've just found another one needing space...)

They need to be more proactive with gate checking early on. Currently 20 minutes late vs. estimated 10 until pretty recently (let's see if we have a slot at LHR now...)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Their job is to tag the bag.

So why don't you just let them get on with doing what they've been told to do? It's not the staff member's fault that this is what they've been told to do. And then stow your bag where you have to stow it once you get on board (which the cabin crew know).

Rather than treating it (as some other people seem to treat it) as some mortal insult to their virility or status if they have a tag wrongly/needlessly affixed to a bag.
Indeed. Hardly worth the debate. Far easier to head round the nearest corner and bin the tag.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Many thanks lorcancolye for the confirmation that "no" is not kicking off. I hadn't seen it that way so am grateful that my view is not universally repudiated. My "no" was delivered courteously and with a smile. As was the explanation. He even joined in the laughter when he realised.

So according to people with a lot of posts BA employees are told to tag all bags not just the second one? Tag all row 1 bags? Tag all exit row bags? Surely in these days of cost cutting those tags could be saved for use where they were needed.

Many years back I did an advanced driving course. One of the points made was that indicating to turn when there was no one there to see it was an indication that the driver was going through the motions not actively driving as they were no longer thinking about why they were indicating. At the time I thought this was a reasonable point. Now I realise that the instructor was obviously suffering from some form of ED and was merely overcompensating for his lack of virility.

Last edited by Deckard; Feb 8, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Originally Posted by nux
Exactly, not worth wasting the time trying to explain that you will need to put the bag in the overhead anyway.
Exactly how I do it. I find its better to smile and accept it, its a tag at the end of the day not the end of the world
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:20 pm

So why don't you just let them get on with doing what they've been told to do?
Encourage mindless box-ticking by an employee [ ]
Bonus points if the company is an airline [ ]
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by atmorris
Exactly how I do it. I find its better to smile and accept it, its a tag at the end of the day not the end of the world
I had my second carry on tagged when flying the A321 LHR-DME last week, in CW. I started to say that the CW seat did not permit underseat storage, but then realized that this would prompt a pointless discussion. On board, I of course stowed both of my bags in the [empty] overhead bin.

I seem to recall i did challenge the tagging once by pointing out that I was in an exit row. The agent in that case actually understood. I would not expect this to be the usual course, however.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Encourage mindless box-ticking by an employee [ ]
Bonus points if the company is an airline [ ]
Do you think having an argument with the employee is going to do anything to change the airline's policy?

Of course, judging by many of the comments on FT, having an argument with the employee will definitely make some passengers feel better about their own importance and about the depth of their own knowledge of the rules.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by londonba2014
... then just accept it and tear it off in the airbridge ...
Originally Posted by simons1
Far easier to head round the nearest corner and bin the tag.
And what does this achieve, other than making you feel better about your own importance or about the depth of your own knowledge of the rules?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
The OP had one item, the yellow tag is for the SECOND item. The staff are not operating to the correct standard.

I have had it too many times now to realise it is not chance - as I posited on the other thread.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:33 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.

So why don't you just let them get on with doing what they've been told to do? It's not the staff member's fault that this is what they've been told to do. And then stow your bag where you have to stow it once you get on board (which the cabin crew know).

Rather than treating it (as some other people seem to treat it) as some mortal insult to their virility or status if they have a tag wrongly/needlessly affixed to a bag.
Their job is (amongst other things) to tag peoples second bag in order help minimise disruption to the boarding process. By tagging everything in sight they're not helping the situation, they're making a mockery of it!

Last edited by TheBaps; Feb 9, 2015 at 2:58 am
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:36 am

These are the same staff who check people in. They do know what an exit row is and the rules for sitting in one. There is no harm in refusing a tag if in row 1 in my view.

It irks me that crew often move smaller bags from overheads in CE and require you to sit with it under seat in front even though only item of hand luggage - just so person in ET can stow their rollaboard bag. Crew shouldn't be put in this position by ground staff in my view.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by joeshorney
These are the same staff who check people in. They do know what an exit row is and the rules for sitting in one. There is no harm in refusing a tag if in row 1 in my view.
I would question this. There are something like 11 different configurations of shorthaul services at some airports (e.g. those that get services from LCY and LGW as well). So more than 11 combinations of emergency rows. On Embraers, row 1 can be row 2... The person doing the tagging really does not have the time to parse all the permutations and it's vastly easier to tag everyone.

What seems to be troublesome for some passengers is trying to understand that they are not being personally "pinged" for this: a yellow tagged bag can, indeed must, go in the overheads in particular circumstances, as the onboard announcement makes clear. So refusing a tag is in my view taking an overly personal stance on something for which that passenger is not being targeted.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
I don't fit in either CE or ET seats and simply cannot have anything under the seat in front. I only ever have a single carry on and it is usually just a small computer bag. So guess what? I now put that small computer bag into my LH rollaboard cabin bag so that there is no chance of it fitting under the seat in front.

What a farce! I now take up 4 times the space in the overhead locker with a rollaboard that is mostly air!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:36 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I have had this occur on numerous occasions when seated in row 1, F/CW or an exit row when travelling on BA both shorthaul and longhaul. The problem is that the tagging staff do not all understand that being in certain seats means the baggage must go in the overhead anyway.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 10, 2015 at 10:07 am Reason: Remove quote of deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.