Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pochama
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.
The wall at seats 30A and 30K curves inward which limits the leg room for the leg closer to the wall. See post 1395 for photo.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Cheapskate22
Hi all - I'm flying on the 787-10 next week in CW. I've found the Club Suites very uncomfortable for sleeping (too short - I'm 6'4). Are there any Club Suites on the 787-10 that have extra leg room in bed mode? I'd tried the bulkhead on the 777 and not had any success.

Appreciate if anyone has advice!

Ben
Flying 787-10 today, which cabin should I select for club suite? The larger or the smaller one?
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:23 am

Came to this excellent forum, because BA customer service was no help. We are flying the overnight BA192 (789 aircraft) KDFW-LHR sometime this summer, and plan on flying First or Club, however we are two adults, a 5 year old and a 10 month old. From peoples experience, where would you choose to sit between First and Club based on comfort and convenience for our family. We are taking the overnight flight, so mostly we will be sleeping. Which seats would you choose? We used to fly club and first often on the 747 when it was just 3 of us. We have not flown commercial as a foursome, so looking for some recommendations.

Last edited by Random Task; Mar 13, 2021 at 12:58 pm
Old Mar 13, 2021, 4:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Random Task.

I wouldn't take much for granted here. In a sense I can see why a 789 would run from DFW, but in reality this is more obviously a 777 route. But equally it could go A350. Unless the flight was in the next few days I don't think you can rely on it being a 789. Now for the core question, and assuming it is a 789, then in First you could either have a whole row or have the 4 seats on one aisle. With 2 youngsters I'm not sure either works very easily but the third option is to take both pair of middle seats and have one adult, one child on each pair. I'm not convinced this will work very well, not least if there are any other passengers looking to keep a pair together. In old style CW it may be a bit easier by taking the middle 3 seats plus one over the aisle, that way you could perhaps use the middle-middle seat as the creche for the youngsters.

In a way old style B777 would be easier in CW since these have a centre block of 4 seats, so the middle-middle would be perfect for the children.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:50 am

DFW was intended as a launch route for the 781, though obviously COVID put paid to schedules everywhere. In the long run, DFW is likely to retain F (so unlikely A350), both because of the AA hub connections and because of the large volume of senior staff travelling between AJB HQs.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Numb3rs
Flying 787-10 today, which cabin should I select for club suite? The larger or the smaller one?
How was the 787-10? Any recommendations on seats?
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Random Task.

I wouldn't take much for granted here. In a sense I can see why a 789 would run from DFW, but in reality this is more obviously a 777 route. But equally it could go A350. Unless the flight was in the next few days I don't think you can rely on it being a 789. Now for the core question, and assuming it is a 789, then in First you could either have a whole row or have the 4 seats on one aisle. With 2 youngsters I'm not sure either works very easily but the third option is to take both pair of middle seats and have one adult, one child on each pair. I'm not convinced this will work very well, not least if there are any other passengers looking to keep a pair together. In old style CW it may be a bit easier by taking the middle 3 seats plus one over the aisle, that way you could perhaps use the middle-middle seat as the creche for the youngsters.

In a way old style B777 would be easier in CW since these have a centre block of 4 seats, so the middle-middle would be perfect for the children.
We have always flown club or first in the old 747 (still love the queen) and indeed the 777 layout and preferred the club cabin for those two middle seats at the back of the cabin, along with one of the aisle seats next to it. It was perfect for the family, and even with the new baby, that position would be still ideal due to the bassinet placement there.

We have not flown in the updated cabins yet, but looking at flight history on this route they have been using the 789 pretty much exclusively for the last three months. As you say that may change come the summer. Anyway, we have decided to book the club world cabin and see what happens, if we get the new Club design with the addition of the suite doors, my wife is hoping center cabin location will allow baby to sleep better than by the toilets where the bassinet positions are.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Guessing row 5 is the best CW row in the 787-10?

Served food first and behind first class who surely leave the plane first?
Old Mar 25, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Pack
...first class who surely leave the plane first?
All 787's use Door 2 for the jet bridge so F customers will come back through the CW cabin to disembark. If you're in Row 5 then you'll have to head back towards Door 2 and row 6-11 will be off before you; depending on how many rows the Cabin Crew call when they announce disembarkation. Depending on the route and COVID situation at the time of your flight, there might not be that many other customers to contend with anyway!

EDIT: The standard way to disembark the -10 via Door 2 is to call rows 8-11 followed by 1-7.
Pack likes this.

Last edited by Boeing77W; Mar 25, 2021 at 3:55 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 25, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
All 787's use Door 2 for the jet bridge so F customers will come back through the CW cabin to disembark. If you're in Row 5 then you'll have to head back towards Door 2 and row 6-11 will be off before you; depending on how many rows the Cabin Crew call when they announce disembarkation. Depending on the route and COVID situation at the time of your flight, there might not be that many other customers to contend with anyway!

EDIT: The standard way to disembark the -10 via Door 2 is to call rows 8-11 followed by 1-7.
The passenger in F (one of two in the cabin) was having none of that on my LHR-DFW on a -10 back in early Jan. They were already up on their feet, bags out on the overheads, primed to make a run for it. The FA called rows 8-11 and they got a start that would have made Usain Bolt proud. I feared the passenger in row 8 was going to be trampled to death as they were a little tardy in retrieving their bags from the overhead as they had remained seated until their row was called.
Boeing77W likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Very early booking for early 2022 - LHR - SEA on (if it sticks) a 787-10. Have opted for 5K on the basis will be very quiet. Aside from (relatively slow) off the plane, any drawbacks? Alternatives welcome (there will be two of us but Mrs S wants a window).
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:21 pm

Hi all,

All being well, off to NYC and Toronto in Jan 22 in club.
Flight back from YYZ is scheduled on the 789 at the moment. Mrs S1A will expect a window seat, so the aisle for me. Which is the recommended seat pair for a red eye?
Sleep will be the priority for this flight. LHR to West Cornwall is never a nice drive after an overnighter

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Travelling WTP on a 787-9 to the US late this year en-route to speak at a conference. CW not an option due to the funding organisation's travel policy and wouldn't want to risk be seen in CW having upgraded myself with cash or avios.
What are people's thoughts on the leg/knee/foot room debate for the front row seats 16 B or J. I know A & K are bassinets, but ignoring that, and that aircraft will probably change anyway, how much leg stretch room is there in row 16 versus the other rows? I'm 6ft 3ins.
I haven't been able to find photos or videos showing legroom in row 16 so if anyone can post a photo or link, that would also be appreciated.
(Edit: found photo at post 877)

Last edited by gcuk; Apr 6, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by simon1argyle
Hi all,

All being well, off to NYC and Toronto in Jan 22 in club.
Flight back from YYZ is scheduled on the 789 at the moment. Mrs S1A will expect a window seat, so the aisle for me. Which is the recommended seat pair for a red eye?
Sleep will be the priority for this flight. LHR to West Cornwall is never a nice drive after an overnighter

Thanks in advance
I normally prefer the mini cabin. Row 6
Old Apr 7, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dselvan
I normally prefer the mini cabin. Row 6
Excellent thank you
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K
so my friend and I will be flying on the 787-9 MEX-LHR-MEX in CW. We are leaning on selecting 6J/K since the aisle seat has no one jumping over them and foot traffic should be at a minimum since F will be right ahead of us. Window seat still has to jump over 7J but that's the price they pay for not being exposed to the aisle. =)

Thoughts? any other recommendations for two people traveling together in old CW?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.