Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA about to devalue Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by 8420PR
1. No devaluation announced for BA yet.
Why BA should announce a devaluation of their Avios and they keep ripping us off with their famous fuel surcharges !!!???
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
2. A devaluation is inevitable - to date it has been managed through tighter award inventory, and though it is feasible that this (form of devaluation) could continue I would expect a similiar change to IB (either less avios given out or the redemption levels to be increased) in the future.
Agreed, if no redemptions are available then what does it matter how cheap (or expensive) the fights are, avios wise?

If they do devalue, then one would hope a bit more availability might appear.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:01 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Just curious, do you happen to know what LAN charge for the actual taxes, fees and fuel surcharges (if any) for that route, i.e. any amount other than the actual fare component?
Taxes for AEP-COR vv:
EUR 5.02XR
EUR 18.92DL
EUR 1.82TQ
EUR 7.76QN

QN and DL tax are billed by percentage on the gross fare, hence they should not be applicable to award tickets since gross is 0. So the real taxes are only TQ and QN which should apply.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Wow! Maybe that is why there have been no MR transfer bonuses this year.
I'll be thankful that there haven't been such MR-to-BA transfer bonuses in a while -- especially when another BA points devaluation hits with little to no advance notice from BA.

If such bonus had shown up this year, then I would have likely moved over several hundred thousand more Amex MR points to BA and turned into a glutton for BA punishment by way of BA points devaluation.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Let me chime in as an IB flyer. IB Avios have pretty much always only been useful for flights on IB and its airlines or Vueling as well as some specific partners that you can't get on BA like Avianca and Royal Air Maroc (though probably better to just pay cash now).

That said, the portal for partner flights is particularly bad on IB and it has pretty much always been worth the trouble to transfer to BA and then redeem, especially for US domestic. Avios.com, Iberia Plus, and BAEC are all independent organizations that just share a currency but make decisions independently. As was mentioned things started pretty much equal, mostly out of an ease of set-up. As each group tweaks, the differences will appear more. If US domestic flights weren't profitable with the current arrangement, they wouldn't have continued this long.

In short, I see nothing to really worry about.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Worth remembering that oneworld (inc BA) redemptions using IB were non refundable (can't remember if also non-changeable) and presumably still are.

They never wanted anyone to redeem outside IB in the first place.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by farwest101
Revenue is meaningless. It's profit that counts. Almost all award programs are big profit centers.
Without revenue there can be no profit
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:55 am

Uh oh.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:22 am

This is going to kill my fall 2015 plans of AE BOS > DUB Can't quite book yet but thinking of doing so ASAP. Anyone know what the affect will be if I book now and change dates in a few months?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by nrdk
This is going to kill my fall 2015 plans of AE BOS > DUB Can't quite book yet but thinking of doing so ASAP. Anyone know what the affect will be if I book now and change dates in a few months?
This is just speculation based on very flimsy (non) evidence. No need to panic.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Just curious, do you happen to know what LAN charge for the actual taxes, fees and fuel surcharges (if any) for that route, i.e. any amount other than the actual fare component?

I am wondering if IB is covering some of that component with Avios, whereas BA isn't, or BA is taking in cash what they "don't" charge in Avios, or a combination of both, because the cash component difference seems fairly large.

I'm basically trying to see if there is a model difference between the two in terms of cash component.
Given that the routes are priced in bands, not individually, I can't imagine Iberia have a specific formula for working out how much extra they can charge in avios to make up for not charging additional surcharges. Hasn't their scheme always been more expensive than BA in this regard, even before the avios merger? Perhaps it's just a legacy thing - if they got away with charging that much pre-avios then why change it?

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Without revenue there can be no profit
Well obviously. Their point was that although saying the revenue from miles is tiny in comparison to the revenue from flights is correct, it's the profit you need to compare not revenue. The profit margin on flights is tiny whereas it's huge on selling miles - so the difference between them with regards to profit will be much smaller.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Since anybody can Transfer their IB Avios to BA and redeem there, I suspect BA cannot be far behind. Although I do recall their promise to give advanced notice before increasing redemption Levels. Let's see if they stick to it, not like they did when adding change fees for Golds.

Maybe it's because they're about to be prohibited from charging fees on Partner redemptions when the Partners themselves don't charge them.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by sorp222
This is just speculation based on very flimsy (non) evidence. No need to panic.
Agree. It may or may not happen.

One of the principal selling points of BA is the frequent flyer programme - the other being great connections.

There is already wild Iberia/BA discrepancy with hotel partner Avios collection. It's almost always better to collect hotel points - sometimes massively so - using Iberia and combine the Avios into BA later. My point; discrepancies between BA and IB reward tables are not new.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by callum9999
Their point was that although saying the revenue from miles is tiny in comparison to the revenue from flights is correct, it's the profit you need to compare not revenue. The profit margin on flights is tiny whereas it's huge on selling miles - so the difference between them with regards to profit will be much smaller.
I suppose it makes it more worthwhile for them to make it more expensive to redeem on partner airline flights, I guess, as they need to be paid for (even if that is effectively offset by what they would have got for redemption by partners on their flight), whereas I assume it would be much easier to control the cost of redemption if they are on their own flights by controlling the inventory.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Does anyone know how BA record AVIOS financially in their accounts? I guess they are classed as a form of liability/debt, that could be called in (assuming availability ever gets above zero ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.