Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA about to devalue Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Used to be my go to card when traveling internationally... if they devalue, I will use an alternate international cc. I understand the devaluation - but they should take into account the loss of revenues from all the people who will do like me and stop using their card as much (or at all).
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Used to be my go to card when traveling internationally... if they devalue, I will use an alternate international cc. I understand the devaluation - but they should take into account the loss of revenues from all the people who will do like me and stop using their card as much (or at all).
It will be the end of the BA credit card and the end of Chase buying Avios, as nobody in their right mind would want to earn Avios using a credit card when there are so many better options available.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:57 pm

I made an MH short haul booking for next May just now, just in case.

Although I would understand BA making changes to the short haul partner redemptions, the levels IB has come out with are, in many cases, higher than what almost every other program would charge for a similar redemption - and almost all of these other programs allow connections, while this chart indicates non stops only. If BA move in this direction, its extremely low value and not at all competitive.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
This is a scary development, indeed. This will be also mean a devaluation for Amex MR I guess :-)
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by paulwuk
If you're based in the uk, join baec. Based in the us, join aa. Based in japan, join jal.

Ba's revenues from selling miles is tiny compared with selling seats to last minute business flyers. In 2009 passenger Revenue was 7800 million, cargo about 600, and all other revenue 400, of which selling miles is a fraction.
Quite. I don't see how BA's aggressive targeting of US consumers to join BAEC via Chase and the like makes strategic sense. It willl maybe bring in $10-20M a year in side business, but considering the disquiet on here and the number of posters presumably comfortably in the £50K+ personal spend level, that benefit starts looking questionable pretty quickly.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:18 pm

I had been planning to do an AMEX - BA transfer and then book a YYZ-NYC weekender in the next few days.

After this bombshell, I booked immediately.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Is BA about to devalue Avios?

The Iberia table - correct me if I'm wrong - shows that a number of long haul premium redemptions are actually cheaper using the new table?

It's late...I may be wrong.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Quite. I don't see how BA's aggressive targeting of US consumers to join BAEC via Chase and the like makes strategic sense. It willl maybe bring in $10-20M a year in side business, but considering the disquiet on here and the number of posters presumably comfortably in the £50K+ personal spend level, that benefit starts looking questionable pretty quickly.
A strong rewards program is an incentive to fly an airline. Without incentive, might as well fly the best product for the cheapest price.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by YYZC2
I had been planning to do an AMEX - BA transfer and then book a YYZ-NYC weekender in the next few days.

After this bombshell, I booked immediately.
Good move. These awards are such good value it couldn't last forever. Perhaps all the Chase 100K windfall recipients who cry about not being able to get BA longhaul F awards without big scamcharges should be cashing in now on these North American short haul awards while they still can.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
A strong rewards program is an incentive to fly an airline. Without incentive, might as well fly the best product for the cheapest price.
Yet most of the people complaining on this thread don't show any BA status in their profile
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Yet most of the people complaining on this thread don't show any BA status in their profile
I'm not complaining
In fact, perhaps the UK government can get into the free-for-all and jack up the APD. That would be hilarious.
I suggest $500 for Y and $2000 for J.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:37 pm

I'm not complaining
In fact, perhaps the UK government can get into the free-for-all and jack up the APD. That would be hilarious.
I suggest $500 for Y and $2000 for J.
As a Canadian flying to the U.K. I'm used to getting ripped off at both ends. Nothing I can do about it. Of course that would also hit AA,DL and UA as well if I'm not mistaken
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The new chart looks odd, why does it have redeem option for up to 50,000 miles? Do they redeem for shooting up into space now?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will be the end of the BA credit card and the end of Chase buying Avios, as nobody in their right mind would want to earn Avios using a credit card when there are so many better options available.
Yeah, I wonder if that relationship is valuable to BA. Obviously, there's almost no value in having a BA card if the short haul award structure is gutted.

Of course, I have to believe that it "costs" BA a lot more than the value of 4500 miles to buy all those tickets from AA and US.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by pl840502
The new chart looks odd, why does it have redeem option for up to 50,000 miles? Do they redeem for shooting up into space now?
Perhaps they are in negotiations with Virgin Galactic as a partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.