Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA about to devalue Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Just curious, do you happen to know what LAN charge for the actual taxes, fees and fuel surcharges (if any) for that route, i.e. any amount other than the actual fare component?
Normal cash fare taxes are $41 from what I see.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Normal cash fare taxes are $41 from what I see.
Thanks HIDDY. It sounds like part of IB's Avios goes towards covering the taxes in that case, and in BA's case, the passenger seems to be paying more in cash "in return for" the lower Avios amount charged.

They do seem to be operating from a different 'cash/Avios' model and the Avios difference makes sense (at least somewhat!) in this particular case.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
Originally Posted by paulwuk
. Ba's revenues from selling miles is tiny compared with selling seats to last minute business flyers.
Alas BAs profit margins are so thin in most years that without "all other revenue" there would be none or little profit: Avios and BAEC are critically important.
BA already knows that without FFers and giving them benefits, it couldn't make a profit.. So don't feel any guilt about getting good deals as part of FF benefits.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
but they should take into account the loss of revenues from all the people who will do like me and stop using their card as much (or at all).
Assuming they are going to devalue, they almost certainly have taken that into account. The people who make these decisions aren't dumb. It may be that their internal numbers tell them that people who will do as you plan to, aren't numerous enough to make a big difference one way or the other.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Thanks HIDDY. It sounds like part of IB's Avios goes towards covering the taxes in that case, and in BA's case, the passenger seems to be paying more in cash "in return for" the lower Avios amount charged.

They do seem to be operating from a different 'cash/Avios' model and the Avios difference makes sense (at least somewhat!) in this particular case.
It's all a bit odd considering you can just move your Avios between the programmes depending on who offers the best deal on the route you want to book.
For me from what I see there's nothing to worry about......yet.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:58 pm

105k avios down the drain...

Last edited by choporifico; Aug 24, 2014 at 10:04 pm
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by choporifico
The damage has already been done. Just priced out an AA itinerary from JFK-LAX on ba.com, 50k Avios in business and 75k in First. Major SMDH...
Just priced DFW-LAX and it's the old values (10k, etc.). Maybe you did something different?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by elizadoo
Wonder if BA will discontinue the 2-4-1 certs for those of us in the 30K + spend bracket here in the US. If so, then there is ZERO incentive to keep the BA/Chase card.
+1 The only reason I use this card is to get the 241 cert - and even that is somewhat suspect given the disappearance of most of the C/F inventory for TATL flights that originate from the Western US.

If BA decides to use the new Iberia chart for its own BA programme that will be a severe deval to many Chase cardholders who don't want to pay the absurd "Fuel surcharges" required by the 241 cert.

OTOH if many of the card churners dump Chase that will mean more inventory for the rest of us. Always look for the silver lining
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by longhorn11
Just priced DFW-LAX and it's the old values (10k, etc.). Maybe you did something different?
AA171 JFK to LAX, Oct 14, 12,500 Avios plus $5 in Economy.
AA9 JFK to LAX, Oct 14, 37,500 Avios plus $5 in First.

As this is a long flight, these numbers are just as before.

AA1232 SFO to LAX, Oct 14, 13,500 Avios plus $5 in First.

Again these are the so far existing numbers. Nothing has changed on the BA side yet.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
OTOH if many of the card churners dump Chase that will mean more inventory for the rest of us. Always look for the silver lining
I nowhere convinced it is just the Chase card holders, who have led to the drying up of redemptions from the West coast. Much more likely that BA just has released less seats.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gshumway
AA171 JFK to LAX, Oct 14, 12,500 Avios plus $5 in Economy.
AA9 JFK to LAX, Oct 14, 37,500 Avios plus $5 in First.

As this is a long flight, these numbers are just as before.

AA1232 SFO to LAX, Oct 14, 13,500 Avios plus $5 in First.

Again these are the so far existing numbers. Nothing has changed on the BA side yet.
Exactly. I think the early misunderstandings can be attributed to people not knowing BA's chart to begin with.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by longhorn11
Exactly. I think the early misunderstandings can be attributed to people not knowing BA's chart to begin with.
Or not checking first if AA has the saver seats on these dates.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Presumably this allows Ba to be more competitive elsewhere by reducing the money that gets paid to aa for the "free" flights. As a Ba flyer I will presumably benefit from this.
Wishful thinking to believe that reducing demand for BA award tickets for flights on partner metal will benefit BA customers wanting to fly BA on BA award tickets. This isn't about awarding you or me more, unless perhaps you or I are an IAG company shareholder/employee (or relative of such) more than a BA customer.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:14 am

I wonder if it has something to do with me not able to see the avios calculator.
I keep getting this message for the past three days:

"Unfortunately our systems are not responding, so we are unable to process your request at the moment.

We apologise for this inconvenience and suggest you try again later."
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:36 am

1. No devaluation announced for BA yet.

2. A devaluation is inevitable - to date it has been managed through tighter award inventory, and though it is feasible that this (form of devaluation) could continue I would expect a similiar change to IB (either less avios given out or the redemption levels to be increased) in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.