Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bag tags: should I just throw them in the bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by matthandy
It seems like a lot of people use them just for showing off. I counted three bags in GC this morning with Gold tags on them. If they were still Gold I'd imagine that they'd find themselves in GF, not GC.
Not necessarily. They may have had a domestic flight (if they were in GC North) or a flight from one of those gates up that way.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by matthandy
It seems like a lot of people use them just for showing off. I counted three bags in GC this morning with Gold tags on them. If they were still Gold I'd imagine that they'd find themselves in GF, not GC.
Agree.

I put my silver tags on the little disney carry-on bag which has a picture of mickey mouse on it that my 2 year old has and enjoy the glares from the uber-busy-important people. When I am gold I will do the same with those too.

I see it as a kind of post-ironic commentary on my own sad life.....
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by T8191
Obviously not FT-ers. Nobody from here would show off their status or champagne preferences
Never seen such vitriol to people attaching bag tags to their luggage on any other FT board. Seriously who cares? I bet some of the most offended here have vanity plates on their cars.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
I always put them on, but not becuase I expect better service as a result, but just to assist BA with ID'ing my bag if the barcoded label comes off. I very rairly check luggage anyway, but if I do it's always with BA. Though I suppose more generic tags with info would be better, but this way I save myself 2 pounds.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I paid hard-earned money to get my tags so I will be using them just because I can.

Katie
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:54 am

I don’t have bag tags on my hand luggage or my checked luggage but I do have a leather address tag on my checked luggage which I update with the address of my first destination plus my mobile ‘phone number.

This proved useful after my luggage was lost and the delivery driver couldn't locate where I was staying so called me on that number. I've made sure to do that ever since.

My checked luggage is a very brightly coloured Samsonite that I have no problems identifying on the luggage carousel. I just look for the bright case covered in scratches, dents and the remnants of numerous hotel left luggage stickers that never come off completely!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by katie666
I paid hard-earned money to get my tags so I will be using them just because I can.

Katie
They aren't that expensive on eBay.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat

I've put mine on both bags this morning so ner.. (I've taken the AF and *A ones off) It will be the last time using the silver ones I find they help when the GA's are patrolling for gate checked bags as they tend not to approach silver or gold tags..
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by fatbob
I always put them on, but not becuase I expect better service as a result, but just to assist BA with ID'ing my bag if the barcoded label comes off. I very rairly check luggage anyway, but if I do it's always with BA.
How many times have you heard of the barcoded label coming off?

I've heard lots of cases of tags breaking off.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Paralytic
How many times have you heard of the barcoded label coming off?
I was going to agree completely, until I remembered I had one quite recently that had torn about 50-75% of way through. Only time I've encountered it, as a not-very-frequent flyer ... YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.