Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bag tags: should I just throw them in the bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag tags: should I just throw them in the bin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I still my bmi string ones with the bmi logo on the tag.. unless the string breaks the tag will remain there.. that said the tag has snapped off a couple of times but string still there.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red
Originally Posted by bullroot
Your name is on the barcode sticker also.

And for extra validation, look at the last 4 digits on the bag sticker, compare with the sticker they put on your boarding pass/passport to be truly certain its your bag.
I think a much easier validation is to peer inside the bag to see if it contains your sweaty socks / weekend dress / narcotics etc...
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by matthandy
So I've just got back from Munich to discover that, for the third time in 8 flights my BA Silver bag tag has disappeared somewhere between check in and the baggage belt. Honestly, what is the point? Do frequent flyers of other airlines have this stupid problem? Surely, providing sturdy fastenings would save BA some money because they wouldn't have to keep re-issuing them every few months.
Sadly yes. I used to use my QF-issued bag tags before the RFID tag days. Theirs were 2-layer type. It was usually broken every 4-5 trips.

They used to be handed out liberally at the lounge (those tags were not personalised and you completed your own details on the inside). I must have gone through about 10-15 per year.

I do not use the BA ones on the basis that one layer of plastic is more likely to break than a 2-layer one. Now I simply use colourful leather (or imitation leather - I'm having difficulties finding colourful genuine leather one of the type I want) generic bag tags.

Originally Posted by passy777
Many may fail to see the difference between advertising their status on a baggage tag or when displaying their numerous shiny cards on their FT profile!
I think it's more of a convenience thing to use the pre-printed bag tags. Also FT profiles are useful - if other people are trying to help them to go to the best lounge, then if they can see the status, it saves the member from asking. It also saves the person from specifying their status in status-relevant posts.

I don't think it is always a kind of exhibitionism!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Many may fail to see the difference between advertising their status on a baggage tag or when displaying their numerous shiny cards on their FT profile!
There is a difference. Someone having their status on their profile helps answer certain questions more specifically and stops "do you have status" type questions.

I've never felt the need to attach a card to my bag, and think those that say they do it to better identify their bag are kidding themselves on.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Each to their own.
The "programs" part of the FT profile is very useful for gauging the relative weight you should give someone's opinion based on the subject of the post.

Someone with "GGL/CCR" posting about service standard in the CCR is likely doing so based on dozens of visits. Someone with "BAEC Bronze" may only have been there once.

It's not a classist thing but more a way of finding useful data points, and improving the signal to noise ratio of the forum (which, FWIW, I find more favourable than most forums I frequent).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Of course this being the internet.............

Wasn't there a fake Premier on here a few years back?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Of course this being the internet.............

Wasn't there a fake Premier on here a few years back?
I was a fake Blue for a couple of years, and then outed myself. How I had you all fooled!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
The steel wire cables ones linked to above are really good, in fact Cathay provide those for free with their MPC bag tags plus a metal casing for the tags to protect against bending and cracking under the delicate caresses of the worlds baggage handlers. The leather straps are terrible
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I was a fake Blue for a couple of years, and then outed myself. How I had you all fooled!
I missed your admission of guilt. Did you sign up with BAEC before or after.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by nh1980
The steel wire cables ones linked to above are really good, in fact Cathay provide those for free with their MPC bag tags plus a metal casing for the tags to protect against bending and cracking under the delicate caresses of the worlds baggage handlers. The leather straps are terrible
Agreed. The leather straps let the card drop at the most inopportune times. I'd hate to see my Gold luggage tags being sold on E-bay
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
I have one on each of our hand luggage bags- which is what they are designed for. They have our name on, so have some practical use. I never even thought of putting them on hold baggage, what's the point?

Of course I am not at all bothered what status others have, I am only interested in my own status (which is BAEC Blue) , it's all about me, me, me

I assume everyone is a wa**er until proven otherwise.

PS The Cathay tag holders are quality.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:27 am

I only put them on both carry-on and hold luggage so that others will either swoon with jealousy or judge me as a "w'er".

Last week from LHR two chaps started talking with me and we then gradually switched to the topic that is BA and soon they mentioned that they had seen my Gold tags and could only dream of reaching such heights (clearly, they are not members of FT!) They where Silver. Had to wash my hands after.

At one stage just to annoy people I had the following tags on my trendy carry-on:
Senator, FB Platinum, BA Gold, IC RA
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Always have my Gold luggage tags on my hand and any other luggage.
Feel I've earned them and does help me, a little, to ID my bag on a carousel.
May impress some young lady one day as well

I don't find them pretentious or anything like that and do tend to check out other peoples' tags on the luggage.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
I use these keychains. I know you shouldn't have to need to buy an alternative but the leather straps come open easy and they don't cost the world. I also find they allow the tags to lie properly when wheeling the case/bag.

You get 4 spare for the next time they go missing!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-St...screw+key+ring
I notice these are being sold by user 'FT-deal'. This wasn't a bit of opportunistic product placement was it?

Bought a set anyway, they look great.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red
I find that wearing my BA Silver tags around my wrists adds a little je ne sais quoi, especially when frequenting trendy London nightspots. You may even be taken straight to the VIP queue if the door staff are regular users of the FT forums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.