Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bag tags: should I just throw them in the bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
From the DYKWIA thread, someone I encountered recently

At BRU recently, we had the winner of 'bag tag bingo', with cards of every sort attached to his (tiny) backpack - including, I observed, BA Gold, Silver and Bronze (the first two being the older style).

When priority boarding was called (as I understand it, a rarity at BRU), he bolted to the front and was promptly told "This is priority only, you will have to wait for general boarding", at which point he shoved his collection of tags in the womans' face and saying "These mean I am priority" and marched off down the ramp.

I predicted to my mates I was flying with that he would be sat way down the back and we would find his bag in the CE bins. And true to form, there it was above one of our lots seat, while he stood around row 20-something staring back down the aisle to makes sure nobody touched his bag.
There were about 15 different cards attached to this tiny, tiny backpack. Never seen anything like it
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Member

I used to use them until I realised that they had potential to give rise to DYKWIA moments. Now I have simple a4 laminated cards with my name and address that I place inside my brightly coloured luggage. For extra ID on the baggage belt I've asked my daughter to make a full case cover out of loom bands.

Last edited by Tim_T; Aug 22, 2014 at 4:01 pm
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
I remove the leather strap and then slide the card into the "hidden" nametag pocket on my bag. That way I reckon that if the barcoded bag tag comes off they'll have my details via the card, no personal data is exposed to strangers and I still manage to avoid the DYKWIA factor.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by matthandy
So I've just got back from Munich to discover that, for the third time in 8 flights my BA Silver bag tag has disappeared somewhere between check in and the baggage belt. Honestly, what is the point? Do frequent flyers of other airlines have this stupid problem? Surely, providing sturdy fastenings would save BA some money because they wouldn't have to keep re-issuing them every few months.
I have both the LH SEN tag and the SK EBD tag on my suitcases. No one ever stole them from me, which may say something about the status of those things.

Main reason I have those attached to my luggage is not that I consider myself a great wa**er, but that I'm too lazy (and cheap) to buy real tags. Plus that it's easy to tell a service desk when they managed to lose my luggage again what the bag and label looked like...
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you file them down a little on the long side (the horizontal) they fit nicely into the equally w**kery Tumi luggage tags, which you can then tuck into the forward open pocket on the bag itself, so nobody sees nothin' (my approach).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you file them down a little on the long side (the horizontal) they fit nicely into the equally w**kery Tumi luggage tags, which you can then tuck into the forward open pocket on the bag itself, so nobody sees nothin' (my approach).
If you are so worried about DYKWIA, why do you list your various status levels with your FT profile name ?

They're just luggage labels, after all....
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by bafan
If you are so worried about DYKWIA, why do you list your various status levels with your FT profile name ?
With the FT user profile, it can serve rather useful purposes to put one's status there, as long as it is accurate. It enables posters to tailor the response, e.g. "since you are OWE, you don't need to pay for seat assignment on BA" which the responder may not have been able to tell unless a post specifically stated his status.

Or in my case the responder may become aware that I may be a right grumpy old witch...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

I would expect a BA Gold, identified as such in his/her profile, to know a teeny bit more about all things BA than the twice-a-year flying Blue.

*runs*
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: Accor Plat, SPG Gold, MR Silver, BA Gold, DL Silver, Amex Plat (IDC)
Originally Posted by nh1980
The steel wire cables ones linked to above are really good, in fact Cathay provide those for free with their MPC bag tags plus a metal casing for the tags to protect against bending and cracking under the delicate caresses of the worlds baggage handlers. The leather straps are terrible
I'm not a FF at all but I got the Cathay Silver membership for a year with two of those metal tags....

Of course, to look cool I used one on my checked luggage and after my first trip, he was folded in two, and of course when trying to unfold it... I broke it!

Now I just have a lot of old ugly stickers and marks in my red plastic samsonite and I'm sure nobody else will take it and I will recognize it directly.

I just have my email address noted on it on a sticker next to the handle in case. (pointless I'm sure).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AAdvantage Platinum
Useful at certain times for certain things

It's interesting to note that BA sends out new bag-tags at the beginning of each membership year when you obtain elite status but with AA you have to pay for your tags.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I too put my tags on my carry-on luggage. It makes my bags easy to spot in a stuffed overhead bin. Also, if BA finds a bag with a Gold tag on it they get it returned promptly. I know this from personal experience.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
I use these keychains. I know you shouldn't have to need to buy an alternative but the leather straps come open easy and they don't cost the world. I also find they allow the tags to lie properly when wheeling the case/bag.

You get 4 spare for the next time they go missing!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-St...screw+key+ring
A pack of 10 for £0.86 including P&P is on it's way. Worth a whirl at that price
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:34 am

went to china and one at a time, my tags are gone . They collect them as souvenir!!!!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by T8191
A pack of 10 for £0.86 including P&P is on it's way. Worth a whirl at that price
I have been using those for a while now and took off the leather ones. I find they are very good. Also if your bag does not have a lock but has the metal loops for one on each zip you can loop them through.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It seems like a lot of people use them just for showing off. I counted three bags in GC this morning with Gold tags on them. If they were still Gold I'd imagine that they'd find themselves in GF, not GC.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by matthandy
It seems like a lot of people use them just for showing off. I counted three bags in GC this morning with Gold tags on them. If they were still Gold I'd imagine that they'd find themselves in GF, not GC.
Obviously not FT-ers. Nobody from here would show off their status or champagne preferences

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.