Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bag tags: should I just throw them in the bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by xenole
Always have my Gold luggage tags on my hand and any other luggage.
Feel I've earned them and does help me, a little, to ID my bag on a carousel.
May impress some young lady one day as well

I don't find them pretentious or anything like that and do tend to check out other peoples' tags on the luggage.

But some of those tags are bothersome - requiring constant adjustment to angle and position to make sure the message is PROMINENT.

Discreet bling is never going to turn a young lady's head.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Mine just sit in the pile of useless **** in my desk drawer that I really ought to throw out, so if any tag users lose theirs, they're welcome to have mine and tippex out my details
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by nh1980
The steel wire cables ones linked to above are really good, in fact Cathay provide those for free with their MPC bag tags plus a metal casing for the tags to protect against bending and cracking under the delicate caresses of the worlds baggage handlers.
Mine both disappeared on their first journey . Maybe they are the eBay luggage tag equivalent of Penny Blacks .
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:45 am

I use the Cathay bag tags that come with metal cable wires to attach them to your bags. Never thought of them as a status thing - just a good way of identifying my black Samsonite out of the millions of others that come round on the baggage belt.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:55 am

Cathay pacific do great tags
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G

I must be a ......, I use tags on both checked and hand luggage. I also put a sheet with my contact details inside each checked luggage as I don't trust the bar code tag remaining on it if my bag decides to go for a trip around the world without me due to some irrops situation.

I also like to wind others up by using my other half's bronze tags on hand baggage.

They're great for flirting in the immigration queues as well but you need to know the twirling /twisting routine to draw appropriate attention.

Now off to suitably bling up my profile, obviously been missing a trick!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Oh, dear. Now I have to out myself. I use the CX tags (which ARE very robust, btw) on all my luggage. And try to fasten them so they face outwards. In my defence, it is the only DYKWIA thing I do, as I am far too polite to "say" anything!

EDITED TO ADD: Blast! I just remembered I leave the F priority tags on too (sigh). Mind you, that helped once as I was scooped up in LAX shortly after 9/11 - when security and the resulting queues were so insane I couldn't even get into the building - by a CX agent who saw my tags and somehow got me into the building and into the security lane in only an hour (and believe me, that was a miracle under the circumstances)
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by BotB
I also like to wind others up by using my other half's bronze tags on hand baggage.
I like to brag and grossly exaggerate the benefits of status to wind up status-less family members. I'm using my silver bag tags later today as we're staying with family and it'll rile my brother - only a car journey is involved. I admit that I'm a wa**er .

For luggage identification, for years I have been using a bright pink padlock that came out of a Christmas cracker. I've yet to see anyone with such poor taste/lack of style as that, so easy to identify my case.

So if you ever see a case with a bright pink padlock and silver tags (I'll never make gold), you know I'm around.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: ABBA
My luggage identification on a hard shell case is a couple of strips of white gaffer tape on the sides.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
My luggage identification on a hard shell case is a couple of strips of white gaffer tape on the sides.
Gaffer tape is a bit too bling for me, I rely on my case having a very distinctive pattern of scratches and dents

Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think there is some value to attaching them to hold luggage as it can help to identify the owner in the event it gets lost. However as mentioned they rarely stay on so I now put one inside the bag in the front zip pocket which hopefully someone would find if the worst happened.

I must admit I did used to attach them to my hand luggage but stopped that practice a couple of years ago, mainly because when I see other people with them, part of me does think w***ker, but also because there is no point. They have my name on but I know who I am and as my hand luggage will never leave my sight (yes even in lounges where people seem to think all their valuables are somehow safe from thieves) what is the point? Only thing I can think of is for DYKWIA purposes.

The best thing is when you see people with then permanently attached to their bags so they can show off when shopping in Waitrose or catching the train home from work. Always makes me smile!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: Numerous
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
For luggage identification, for years I have been using a bright pink padlock that came out of a Christmas cracker. I've yet to see anyone with such poor taste/lack of style as that, so easy to identify my case.
I have pink aluminium tags engraved with FF numbers (no name or 'phone numbers) and secured by plastic lock tags for my checked baggage. Easy to spot my bog standard black luggage on the baggage carousel, very difficult to remove and, to date, I have yet to lose any.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:36 am

I have the silver tag on my hold case, for the aforementioned "should the paper bar code come off then it can be identified by the BAEC number" reason. The leather strap was um, enhanced with duct tape so it can't come undone, and I just tuck the tag under the handle so it's not sticking out and going to get bent/caught in the conveyors. Haven't lost it yet
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I used to paint identifying stripes on our cases, as they were the same colour/brand/appearance (i.e. black or grey)as 70% of the luggage on a carousel.

We then switched to coloured luggage of a less common hue, enhanced with lurid green luggage tags, which I can spot at a great distance.

BA tags on hold luggage? No way, but like others we use our tasteful Silver tags and cheerful Flyertalk tags on hand luggage for their potential interaction benefits (either BA Agents or fellow FT-ers).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But some of those tags are bothersome - requiring constant adjustment to angle and position to make sure the message is PROMINENT.

Discreet bling is never going to turn a young lady's head.
I prefer to have my tags facing down as I like the minimal design on the underside with just the swoosh thing. I have seen more than one person though carefully twist and arrange the tag back round on their luggage to ensure the "Gold" or "Silver" wording and their name is the most visible it can be!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.