Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I don't even know how this happens [Mauled luggage]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:44 am
Original Poster

I was initially thinking about posting the following complaints about my recent Club World experience flying LHR-LAX which included the following issues:

1. Placing my hand luggage in the side storage bin, only to discover the previous occupant had deposited their orange juice in it, ruining my bag
2. Going to the toilet to discover someone had actually pissed on the floor
3. A child who was allowed to put their privacy screen up and down for most of the way across the Atlantic - when I stepped in to get him to stop the parent looked at me like I was a monster
4. That child and another throwing drink and playing hide and seek, thinking my window seat was acceptable hiding place
5. Same children depleting Club kitchen of all the sandwiches, crisps and ice cream - some of which was thrown (in case I am accused of being anti-child, there were children of approximately 4 and 6 in the cabin who were behaved impeccably)

But all of the above pales in comparison to

1. My bag not arriving with me - okay it happens.
2. Was told that it was on the next flight and I would have by 10pm
3. Stayed up until 11pm, by which point I had been up 30 hours. Called courier company - was rudely told I would not have until the next morning.
4. Received by bag - it looks like a bomb had gone off in it or it had been mauled by a bear. You decide
5. Got on the gold line to told "go online and fill out the compensation form. It should take 4-6 weeks."

Needless to say, with all my personal items that I need on a daily basis completely and utterly destroyed - that just wasn't acceptable

Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
wow, thats poor!

mention it to cusatomer services in T5, my colleague did in passing ans was instantly compensated!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:53 am

The photo of the bag is indeed impressive. I didn't know they had bears at LAX. Has the gold line seen those photos?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:56 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Good grief, what on earth happened to that. I can only assume that it got caught up in something mechanical.

As for the rest, the only thing BA really has any control over is the first one with an oversight in cabin cleaning (absolutely nothing new there). Other passengers and ill-behaved brats are a rather unfortunate hazard that's kind of hard to get away from on a public airline service.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
I think I would take some photos of some slightly higher value items.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
WTH happened to that bag!? I've seen a few busted bags in my days, but nothing close to that.

I would expect BA to pay for anything you need to replace due to that disaster. And do so quickly.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:08 pm

Unacceptable.

1. Placing my hand luggage in the side storage bin, only to discover the previous occupant had deposited their orange juice in it, ruining my bag

I hope you pointed it out to the cabin crew, got a report and claim for a replacement + inconvenience caused by lack of supervision after cabin cleaning.

2. Going to the toilet to discover someone had actually pissed on the floor

It happens. But, again, point it out to the cabin crew and it should be cleaned. That's one of the yucky parts of their job. If pointed out, and an hour later it is still filthy wet, that is unacceptable.

3. A child who was allowed to put their privacy screen up and down for most of the way across the Atlantic - when I stepped in to get him to stop the parent looked at me like I was a monster

You shouldn't have had to step in. Cabin crew should have noticed and had a quiet word. If they didn't, then you should have had a word with CC. That is what they are there for. Only if they then still refused to do anything, that is unacceptable.

4. That child and another throwing drink and playing hide and seek, thinking my window seat was acceptable hiding place

See above.

5. Same children depleting Club kitchen of all the sandwiches, crisps and ice cream - some of which was thrown (in case I am accused of being anti-child, there were children of approximately 4 and 6 in the cabin who were behaved impeccably)

Some adults do this too! But in case of food being thrown, that is unacceptable. But again, CC should have noticed and acted. If they did not, and the issue was raised with them, then that is unacceptable.

So, on the first points, I would say a fail by CC not to notice and act.

Or totally unacceptable if you raised the matters with them and they then failed to act.

On another airline, with drunk passengers, I had to threaten the crew with the Air Navigation order before they paid attention. But as I pointed out, dealing with drunks is their job, not mine. Ensuring passengers safety is 1st, ensuring their comfort is 2nd. But both are key components of their job.

As for the luggage!

Well, what baggage handler/airline or any combination of them could deliver something so obviously mauled without a personal apology and offer to get something done right away.

Even a small letter saying: oops.

That is also unacceptable..
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have had the worst behaved kids on lax-lhr flights in the past, playing with the divider even playing a ipad game out loud in the middle of the night in the parents/nanny lap.

Sorry about your bag looks like it has been caught due to the loose straps.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:19 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Unacceptable.

Man alive.

Get on twitter/facebook and post those photos and tag BA. Pathetic.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Looks like the bag was snagged in the gap between two conveyer belts judging by the damage to the it and its contents.

Note the black on the pink sandals.

Last edited by PropWasher; Jul 14, 2014 at 1:30 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It looks like your bag got dragged beneath the baggage cart. Happened to me a while back.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...y-luggage.html
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Did a courier deliver it or did they just fire it out of a cannon in your general direction?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:52 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
My daughter's bag suffered a similar fate between leaving LHR and arriving in NRT, we were on CX who after some debate offered a replacement suitcase to replace the ruined one (such luck at having two compartments, fortune was onside there as clothes were on the undamaged side) and the offer of money of the value of replacement suitcase (which i picked up from HND on departure) if CX can do that I don't see why any other airline can't
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow! American werewolf in London had a go at your bag! I'd be super-pissed.

On the upside, you have nice feet (if those are yours).
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It looks like your bag got dragged beneath the baggage cart. Happened to me a while back.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...y-luggage.html
It looks like bears do indeed roam through airports

I got pictures of everything - the valuable stuff was mostly expensive clothes, most of which did not get mangled as badly but did have some kind of black grease on them and I can't wash it off. The annoying thing was most of them were brand new and acquired on a shopping trip in Barcelona, which I had been looking forward to all year since they have so many unique shops there.

And all the stuff I get whenever I am in London - like stuff from Boots, not valuable but stuff you can't get here!

The courier delivered it in a big piece of plastic - I didn't realize the extent of the damage until I unwrapped it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.