Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I don't even know how this happens [Mauled luggage]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I don't even know how this happens [Mauled luggage]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Chere TrompeleMonde,

It's called the law of maximum annoyance: when something starts to go awry, it normally continues in style.

I am fairly sure that had you not had the unfortunate orange juice incident, you would have been only half as annoyed at the spoilt brats. Same for the bombed luggage: At the end of a perfectly stress free flight, you would probably have laughed about it, replaced the stuff and filed a max compo request -with pics of higher value items if possible- with BA.

Very sorry it has happened to you. If that can make you feel better, my few requests compo for lost or damaged luggage have been settled in a week on average, despite the general warning that it could take 4 to 6 weeks.

Keep us posted.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
CW cabin crews are the top of the crop for me.... when it comes to inconsistency. I have also endured night flights where children have been playing loudly, all reading lights and overhead lights on, and nothing done by cabin crew or parents until provoked by a chorus of "ssshhh" from other passengers. Meanwhile, my wife just did LHR-YYV in the middle of the day, and the person next to her gets told off by CC like a small child, for having the window shade open - "because some passengers want to sleep". Yet on the return flight ( a night flight) she talked half the night to the next passenger and was served enough G&T that she only had an hour's sleep , and was still hosed when I picked her up a LHR at 7am (yes I am jealous). Go figure !

Awesome bag picture, OP - I think we'd love to hear how this happened !
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
I don't even know how this happens

That is truly awful - especially the bags, I mean for God's sake...it looks like your sandals have been burned!

I would get into Twitter pronto and copy in BA. Do it tomorrow morning when Twitter traffic is highest and they'll be paying attention.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by PropWasher
Looks like the bag was snagged in the gap between two conveyer belts judging by the damage to the it and its contents.

Note the black on the pink sandals.
Looks like it may have been handled by staff at the Anastasia Beach Hotel.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Moths on a plane. Coming to a movie theatre near you
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
[email protected]
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrompeleMonde

2. Going to the toilet to discover someone had actually pissed on the floor
3. A child who was allowed to put their privacy screen up and down for most of the way across the Atlantic - when I stepped in to get him to stop the parent looked at me like I was a monster
4. That child and another throwing drink and playing hide and seek, thinking my window seat was acceptable hiding place
5. Same children depleting Club kitchen of all the sandwiches, crisps and ice cream - some of which was thrown
i'm guessing that #2 was likely caused by the culprits of #3,4, & 5

something that kills me about your bag being delivered like that is why didn't someone contact you and proactively tell you that something had happened to your bag? what, nobody noticed? this really sucks and i know how you feel about getting something special while on travels and then getting it ruined. BCN does have a lot of nice little shops. maybe your compensation should be a free flight back to go and get replacements.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I vote bomb but wow, indeed, that is a shocking result. I would join others in suggesting that you take photos of more valuable items and then send the photos alongside an estimate of the value of both the bag and its contents to customer service. And like others I think it is remarkably poor customer service not to have contacted you pro-actively to warn you and apologise in advance about the state of your bag and pro-actively suggest ways to get compensation.

As for the floor "littering" in the toilet, I am amazed by how often it happens. I genuinely don't understand how people are 1) so messy as to do it and 2) so disgusting as not to clean after themselves. I am of the opinion that some people should be sent back to potty training just the way those who can't drive properly lose their license!

Please do keep us updated about BA's answer when they see those photos - they should really investigate if they have any sense.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BenSenise
i'm guessing that #2 was likely caused by the culprits of #3,4, & 5

something that kills me about your bag being delivered like that is why didn't someone contact you and proactively tell you that something had happened to your bag? what, nobody noticed? this really sucks and i know how you feel about getting something special while on travels and then getting it ruined. BCN does have a lot of nice little shops. maybe your compensation should be a free flight back to go and get replacements.
Agree with this. It is inconceivable that nobody noticed the bag was in a state of some disrepair. Someone should have gotten hold of the OP and explained what had happened. Accidents do happen but I would expect a call and an explanation (and then compensation). Just delivering it mangled up like that is very poor indeed.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Yeah - that was the upsetting thing, just having it delivered like nothing was wrong. I am going to hazard a guess that it happened at Heathrow which is why it didn't make the original flight. They should have plenty of time to tell me.

I did get an email telling me it had been delayed - unlike the last time they lost my bag when I waited for an hour at the carousel before discovering it was missing and they had it on their list all along.

I will keep you up-to-date when I hear something. Thanks for commiserating - it has made me feel a little bit better!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Update on this - they got back to me on compensation very quickly - within 24 hours of submitting the claim.

Naturally they knocked money off the total claim - but offered only 50% because I don't have receipts. Since many of the items are not items you would typically keep receipts for such as clothes and shoes this is a little annoying. What they are offering won't cover the cost to replace.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Don't accept it in that case.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Push harder. Did you buy those things with a credit card? With Amex you can go into transaction details and get the transaction number. If you really felt like it you could get a receipt reprint from the store (assuming the cloths were not that old). At the very least you could wave the credit card statements at them.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Don't give up!!!

Originally Posted by TrompeleMonde
Update on this - they got back to me on compensation very quickly - within 24 hours of submitting the claim.

Naturally they knocked money off the total claim - but offered only 50% because I don't have receipts. Since many of the items are not items you would typically keep receipts for such as clothes and shoes this is a little annoying. What they are offering won't cover the cost to replace.
Hun don't give up still push if need be tweet the pics and bombard them through Facebook.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by icegirl
Hun don't give up still push if need be tweet the pics and bombard them through Facebook.
I think I'd probably stick with a level-headed, emotion-free, articulate, and concise reply letter/email. No one likes 'shouty' people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.