Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC (Blue, usually)
Took the BA217 (LHR-IAD) in WT yesterday afternoon - CSD came over to my seat and congratulated me on recently hitting Gold, choosing to 'help us keep flying' and seemed to have filled in the CC working the WT cabin as well as I got another one from them working in the back.

Had a slightly amusing moment - they asked what meal I'd like and realised they were giving me the WTP options instead. To be honest, I didn't fancy either of them and asked for the mac and cheese from WT - which they didn't load enough of! We had a good chuckle about that (I was sitting in the front row, so no chance they'd ran out), but no harm done - settled for the alternative WT chicken + veggies and they gave me that main meal with the WTP tray (proper cutlery, salad, dessert etc.) which I thought was a nice touch.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by BABenchley
Most likely a 'Worldclass' crew member (ASCCM, second in charge)
I think you’re confusing Worldwide Cabin Crew (WW) with Mixed Fleet (MF).

Customer Service Leaders (CSLs) are as CIHY said former Pursers. They generally lead a team in a particular cabin such as First and work as Worldwide Cabin Crew. They are more senior than regular cabin crew (‘main crew’) but below the Cabin Service Director (CSD). So, on a Worldwide crewed flight there will be

1 x Cabin Service Director (silver tie) - in overall charge of service throughout aircraft. They will also generally be in charge of the Club World cabin (it’s a bit different on the A380).

1 or 2 x Customer Service Leader (normal uniform) - in charge of service in a particular cabin - so if no F cabin there will only be 1 CSL, in charge of WT and WT+ with CSD in charge in Club. You may sometimes get 2 though (if crew are, say, operating a 3 cabin aircraft one way and 4 cabin aircraft the other and sometimes CSLs may be rostered but working down as main crew). On the A380, I believe there is a CSL on the main deck and a CSL on the upper deck, rather than specific to each cabin. CSLs can work up as in charge crew member if, say, the CSD falls ill.

WW female crew do not wear hats, except on A380s and 787 when they do...or if they are Ambassador crew performing Ambassador duties.

There is no recruitment or promotion on WW any more. I don’t know whether it’s still possible to transfer from Eurofleet to Worldwide and vice versa.

On Mixed Fleet (MF), the most senior crew member is the Customer Service Manager (CSM) - silver tie.

MF also have ‘World Class’ cabin crew (WCC) who are on CSM development. In addition to standing in when CSM is unwell downroute, they have to carry out a certain number of flights where they work up as CSM under assessment. To try to get a spread of experience, the WCC will often ‘lead’ a particular cabin. I think they wear a normal uniform and have never seen a name badge with ‘World Class’ on, so guess they just wear a standard name badge - ie you would have no way of knowing they are senior crew.

You might also see an Inflight Business Manager (IBM). They are common to WW and MF and line manage CSDs and CSMs (I don’t know whether although the title is common they work across WW and MF - would be odd as many CSDs have 20+ years’ service whereas CSMs can be direct entry and could apply for IBM as next step). They’re not on many flights but do fly from time to time - I guess performing appraisals on the CSD / CSM.

You then have International Cabin Crew (ICC) - generally only 1 level but there is a more senior IBM-type level so will occasionally see a crew in normal ICC uniform but wearing a badge saying ‘Senior Cabin Crew’.

Female MF crew wear hats and uniform is to ‘Ambassador standard’ which in practical terms affects the way cravats should be worn....yes, really!

Then, finally, there’s Eurofleet (EF).

They have Pursers (silver tie) and Main Crew. You generally have 1 purser on a flight but it’s relatively common to see multiple Pursers working down as there are too many as MF expands - BA acquired a lot of senior crew who TUPEd over on acquiring BMI.

There used to be Cabin Service Directors on EF who operated Airbus (instead of a Purser) but only CSDs could operate Boeing 757 / 767 flights due to union agreements. Obviously the 757 / 767 have now been retired. I had understood EF CSDs would be going too, but not sure if this has happened.

EF crew do not wear hats.

Gatwick is now CSM and CC but new recruits fly with experienced crew there.

The crazy thing about all of this is that MF and WW / EF don’t fly together. I’m sure all could learn from one another.

All of this is my understanding so stand to be corrected!
BA235, T8191, snaxmuppet and 4 others like this.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Feb 27, 2019 at 5:54 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Last two flights (consecutive weekends) on my HEL-LHR route when I've been in economy I've had the CSM come and say hello which is an all time record for me. CSM on 02Mar flight had even told the BoB crew to provide anything i wanted from the front so cup of tea and shortbread snack went down a treat!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by offshore_bob
Last two flights (consecutive weekends) on my HEL-LHR route when I've been in economy I've had the CSM come and say hello which is an all time record for me. CSM on 02Mar flight had even told the BoB crew to provide anything i wanted from the front so cup of tea and shortbread snack went down a treat!
To think of it, I can't remember when I did not get a greeting in the last year on BA long haul flights. On SIN-LHR last week, during the gold greeting, I finally decided to take up the CSM's offer of anything she can help with - I asked for either a pillow or blanket from up front, if there were any spare.

Turned out it was a full flight in all cabins so all she could muster was a lone pillow from another Y seat about an hour later. Bless her, she tried.
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our recent JER-LGW and LHR-PHX led to greetings on all CE/CW sectors, with the l/h being both extensive and effusive. First time we’ve been aknowledged for ages!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:15 pm

I hate the hats- they put the boxes in the locker above row 1 on CE so you can't get your bag in.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
75 min slot delay yesterdaay on LUX-LHR flight perfect opportunity to use it, curtain pulled and crew not seen until safety demo time.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Four TATL's in the last month and no personal greeting on any of them in WT or WT+, in fact I flew a bunch of domestics in the US on AA and got more recognition there. In all honesty I'm not overly fussed but its the inconsistency that is annoying, if the crew is supposed to do it they should, and certainly the fact that in my experience AA, AY, and QF, do it more consistently for BA Golds than BA themselves is kinda ridiculous. It certainly seems more consistent with WW crew than MF, not that I'm denigrating MF more generally, just my experience on this specific topic.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Joely
Four TATL's in the last month and no personal greeting on any of them in WT or WT+, in fact I flew a bunch of domestics in the US on AA and got more recognition there. In all honesty I'm not overly fussed but its the inconsistency that is annoying, if the crew is supposed to do it they should, and certainly the fact that in my experience AA, AY, and QF, do it more consistently for BA Golds than BA themselves is kinda ridiculous. It certainly seems more consistent with WW crew than MF, not that I'm denigrating MF more generally, just my experience on this specific topic.
If you are not fussed, why is it you find it annoying? It’s nice to receive a welcome, but when I don’t receive a formal one it doesn’t even cross my mind. Whilst I often have Premium Services contact from AA at their hubs, I cannot remember the last time I received any form of recognition on board - it must be at least 6 or 7 years.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

If you are not fussed, why is it you find it annoying? It’s nice to receive a welcome, but when I don’t receive a formal one it doesn’t even cross my mind. Whilst I often have Premium Services contact from AA at their hubs, I cannot remember the last time I received any form of recognition on board - it must be at least 6 or 7 years.
Ok fair point, it's not the lack of a greeting I find annoying, it's the lack of consistency. If you are going to do something, do it well and do it consistently or don't do it at all. If they ditched it entirely that's fine, if they keep it that's also fine, but whichever you choose make sure it is actually implemented correctly and that process is followed.

Last edited by Joely; Mar 5, 2019 at 3:32 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Stez
.....................On SIN-LHR last week, during the gold greeting, I finally decided to take up the CSM's offer of anything she can help with - I asked for either a pillow or blanket from up front, if there were any spare.

Turned out it was a full flight in all cabins so all she could muster was a lone pillow from another Y seat about an hour later. Bless her, she tried.
Yes, full credit to her for the greeting and for trying (even if no posh pillows / blankets available)

Perhaps the CSM didn’t expect you to actually take up the offer, and your request threw her ?

Bit like saying to the mother-in-law (just as she’s leaving after a weekend stay .....) “No, no ..... we always love having you to stay ..... do come again whenever you want ....”
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by subject2load

Yes, full credit to her for the greeting and for trying (even if no posh pillows / blankets available)

Perhaps the CSM didn’t expect you to actually take up the offer, and your request threw her ?

Bit like saying to the mother-in-law (just as she’s leaving after a weekend stay .....) “No, no ..... we always love having you to stay ..... do come again whenever you want ....”
Many of the CSMs are a little youngish to be my mother-in-law
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Just had my first greeting since hitting gold on my BCN-LGW flight in ET. CSM gave his personal welcome back on board to the approx 5 golds. Very, very clinical which amused me to no end.

I was in the aisle seat and the lady in the window seat was also greeted with a 'we regret not having seen you on board for a while, ms' which she responded to like she was caught cheating on an exam.
tazxxx likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold and Honors Gold
Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
Just had my first greeting since hitting gold on my BCN-LGW flight in ET. CSM gave his personal welcome back on board to the approx 5 golds. Very, very clinical which amused me to no end.

I was in the aisle seat and the lady in the window seat was also greeted with a 'we regret not having seen you on board for a while, ms' which she responded to like she was caught cheating on an exam.
Looks like we were on the same flight. We got welcomed too in ET. Was a long time ago for us in ET when it last happened. He told the lady behind us something like ‘I have a message from the Excecutive Club for you. They missed you, well they miss your money I suppose. Welcome back’. Sounds a bit weird for me. But ok.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kevinvdwal

Looks like we were on the same flight. We got welcomed too in ET. Was a long time ago for us in ET when it last happened. He told the lady behind us something like ‘I have a message from the Excecutive Club for you. They missed you, well they miss your money I suppose. Welcome back’. Sounds a bit weird for me. But ok.
Haha that's funny, yep I must've been behind you too if you two guys were in the exit row. I didn't get the money part (I'm hard of hearing) but that explains her reaction. Very strange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.