Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
I’ve always felt a little embarrassed by the personal greeting - especially the gushing QF and CX ones. However, I got not so much as a nod or a wink from the BA cabin crew on the flights when I was just about to achieve / and on the first flight after having achieved Lifetime Gold.

Wotevvah!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Interestingly, got a greeting from the crew from/to LYS this week-end. Very few Gold card holders, I assume that makes it easier. Was a nice touch. Haven't had anything else apart from my "welcome to silver" speech a year or so ago.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
I’ve always felt a little embarrassed by the personal greeting - especially the gushing QF and CX ones. However, I got not so much as a nod or a wink from the BA cabin crew on the flights when I was just about to achieve / and on the first flight after having achieved Lifetime Gold.

Wotevvah!
One of the impressive things about BA crew is their uncanny ability to read passengers.

They had sussed your personality traits, in a matter of seconds, as you boarded, and knew you would be embarrassed by those (gushing-type) greetings offered on your flights with other OW carriers. Hence their decision that the best thing was to not bother greeting you at all 😀
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Closest personal greeting I've ever had on public transport was on the 08.29 train from Milngavie to Glasgow. The neighbours West Highland terrier recognised me getting on wagged its tail and gave a bark.
Thank you. My 1’st laugh at the end of this day.

Edit: I likely wrote the same 3 yrs ago to above...
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by johnston21; Jan 28, 2019 at 5:57 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
My most recent greeting, the lady came over with her iPad and said that I had a message but the iPad had froze. Once it unfroze she read it out and it was something like “welcome to silver” when I was GGL and then we had an awkward laugh about her being useless with technology.... 10/10 for effort but her time probably could’ve been spent on something better ha
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Just come off a LAX flight in a 2/3rd full CW cabin and didn't see the CSM once. Barely saw the crew during the first couple of hours of meal service and then not again until 1h4 before landing.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
Last week LHR – DUB, as the crew were doing BOB, the CC passed me a bottle of water with a gold sticker on it, smiled and continued on with the service! Far better than the ‘thanks for your loyalty’ speech.
flygirl68 and alex67500 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
Last week LHR – DUB, as the crew were doing BOB, the CC passed me a bottle of water with a gold sticker on it, smiled and continued on with the service! Far better than the ‘thanks for your loyalty’ speech.
Now, that, or an offer of bubbly in the evening, would be my idea of recognition!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:16 am

I must have cashed in all of my BA gold greeting chips on a recent flight in ET (only my 3rd since hitting gold).

The crew were an absolute delight and I ended up spending most of the flying time in the galley chatting to them.

The CSM came over prior to take off asking if I would like some champagne and a bottle of water which I dutifully accepted.. By the end of the flight I had been offered 4 bottles of champagne (CE only had 4 pax, none of whom were drinking I was told), as well as the CE meal.. Also saw the CC taking two bottles to a couple in ET who were celebrating their anniversary

Goes to show how fantastic BA's service can be when the crew aren't stretched to serve 40 pax in CE on a 2 hour flight and a full ET cabin as well!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
Undoubtedly better than a ‘loyalty’ speech, totally agree ^ These gestures are, understandably, well-received.

That said, I do think the time has come for BA to do something (whether it involves an offer of a bottle of water, cup of tea / coffee, soft drink .... whatever) which recognises its higher status pax in a consistent manner ; as opposed to this ongoing, ‘hey-it’s-your-lucky-day’ random approach which revolves more around how crew on any given flight might be feeling, rather than actual service standards policy.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Got my first 'gold greeting' in a while recently on a JFK flight (westbound, daytime) - very well done, the CSM just came up to Upper Deck, popped head round the seat just to shake hands and introduce himself...no ipad script and no mention of actual status, just a welcome and a genuine/friendly comment along the lines of he was sure the crew upstairs would look after me but to ask for anything I needed

very slick and actually sort of nice (in a stupid way)

was definitely a 'gold' thing as he was then discreetly checking the ipad for seat numbers and went around to a couple of other folk in the cabin i know were also gold/GGL (one colleague, and one chap with a few too many luggage tags in case anyone didn't know he was Gold...)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Non scripted "Hello Mr Xenole" just now on a flight from LHR-MAN.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by flying4workNfun
I know that I am about to reference another airline in the BA thread, but as a point of reference: I was on EK this past weekend (the BA flight was too expensive to get approved for this particular trip) and the person seated in front of me must have been Super Platinum or something
Likely iO... EK does it very well; the priority disembarkation seems to be standard procedure.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Hallo,
my first post here, adding a data point

Had a recent HAM - LHR - BSL trip in ET, no greetings or other real interaction on any of the four flights.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SirToby
Hallo,
my first post here, adding a data point

Had a recent HAM - LHR - BSL trip in ET, no greetings or other real interaction on any of the four flights.
Never mind SirToby, you will get a greeting here somewhat more consistently. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here, I can see you fly almost as much as me, and if there is anything I can do for you please let me know [CWS, scuttles off quicko before any suggestion could be presented]
SirToby likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.