Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is LGW baggage reclaim getting worse?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I don't envy a colleague of mine who is due to fly from LGW tomorrow and another who already had issues with bags last weekend. They need to sort out their baggage issues first, before even thinking about expanding
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
I'm at Gatwick now. Premium security was a breeze and am now in the Flounge, which is busy. Flying back on Sunday but HBO!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by T8191
I have done JER-LHR with BMI (in 2008), but I have no recollection of how things were done at the 'other end', or even which Terminal we arrived at.
Me too, although the service didn't last very long. Pretty darned sure it was T1 domestic, but we may have been bussed as I remember the flight outbound using midhaul seats in J as the a/c had just come inbound from Moscow, but I think that I might've just been lucky on that occasion.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by tuff
I'm at Gatwick now. Premium security was a breeze and am now in the Flounge, which is busy. Flying back on Sunday but HBO!
Maybe I've just been lucky with my timings, but the Premium security at LGW North has been very kind to me every time I've used it.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: ABBA
Willie has been on the blower

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28603529
Willie Walsh, chief executive of IAG, the parent company for British Airways, told ITV News: "I think they [Swissport] have some issues at Gatwick that they need to address, and if they don't address them to our satisfaction then we have options.

"At this stage we are working with them. We are satisfied they are putting the right measures in place and I'm confident they will resolve them.

"If they don't we will certainly look at other opportunities."
You see, you outsource a vital part of your operation, it fails, you have no control over it, you get tons of bad press, but in the short term you've make a profit, and any problems you can just blame on KPIs and ROI.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:20 pm

What paulwuk said.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
I have done JER-LHR with BMI (in 2008), but I have no recollection of how things were done at the 'other end', or even which Terminal we arrived at.
T8191, the former bmi flights arrived at T1 and bags used to be delivered in the main UK & Ireland arrivals area. It had a very limited Customs area, search bench and red phone but I never saw any staff there. In the days of the direct BA services into T1, the reclaim area was in a different area and you'd walk through a Customs area before joining the main baggage reclaim area. Seems like a lifetime ago that we had direct BA flights to/from LHR!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Willie has been on the blower

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28603529

You see, you outsource a vital part of your operation, it fails, you have no control over it, you get tons of bad press, but in the short term you've make a profit, and any problems you can just blame on KPIs and ROI.
Bingo!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:13 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-28621327
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When citing a link please provide a summary of the contents... it is a FlyerTalk rule I understand.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Arrived on BA2036 from MCO this morning. 70 mins for bags, with bags from the orange scum shuttle flights arriving way ahead of BA. Utterly unacceptable. BA need to exert more pressure on their agents to sort it out. Grrrr.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I say, old chap. Orange scum is a bit harsh!!

Several members of this Board fly with them too, you know!

Pick an airline, pick a baggage handling company ... I will still fly BA, though!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
When citing a link please provide a summary of the contents... it is a FlyerTalk rule I understand.
Can you provide a link to this please.

ii.Linking to the websites of established news organizations or to company press releases with details of an ongoing news event (such as an airline or hotel incident). In such a case, merely providing the headline of the new item along with a link to it, without posting additional content, is allowable.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by origin
Yes, but he/she just posted a link without at least copying the headline of the article. I don't want to get in to an argument about whether this is within the rules, but seems that it would be nice to post a few words about what the link says rather than just posting a raw link.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by origin
Thank you origin for finding the rule. I agree with you. A headline would have been great. ^

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, but he/she just posted a link without at least copying the headline of the article. I don't want to get in to an argument about whether this is within the rules, but seems that it would be nice to post a few words about what the link says rather than just posting a raw link.
Agreed. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.