Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is LGW baggage reclaim getting worse?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Landed at Gatwick this morning at 01:40 with kids on tow already an hour delayed. Then the plane couldn't be offloaded for 45 minutes due to the following... Absolute farce!

1. Waiting for ground staff to switch pilot system on.
2. Ground staff configured system for A320 not A319.
3. Waiting for steps.
4. Waiting in for Buses.

Eventually arrived at baggage reclaim, now 02:30 hours. Bedlam. At 03:00 there was an announcement to go home without filling forms and bags would be sent on. Assume this was because there were too many people/forms to fill in.

It was complete melt down. Currently have no bags.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I was going to say "and there are calls for BA to move more flight from LHR to LGW?", but then I realised that someone might say "well, when things go haywire at LHR, you're just as screwed". And that person will be right but, by balancing things out, I feel better about saying that I would still not want to use LGW unless it can't be helped (which is a rarity).

Last edited by techie; Jul 27, 2014 at 2:56 am
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
The Gatwick Swissport operation is a complete joke. BA have known about these issues for quite some time, heaven knows why they haven't been given the boot.

It's a real shame because BA passengers probably won't realise it is a third party that causes the delays and so blame the BA staff who are exasperated (in my experience) by the whole farce.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
At 03:00 there was an announcement to go home without filling forms and bags would be sent on. Assume this was because there were too many people/forms to fill in.
How does/will this work? They would not know necessarily know about getting the correct address for the bags?

It clears the airports for more passengers to come in but it will leave a mountain of bags at the airport. How will the airport go about sorting this out without the forms. They will have to work with each airline to match the luggage tag with the booking reference and then look for a contact via the airline booking reference. This will require Swissport to work with each airline; its fraught with issues.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Agree strongly with others - LGW is becoming a "best avoided airport" thanks to Swissport. As discussed in other similar threads, and a very lucid outline of the problem by (I believe) C-W-S, there's no easily solution in sight.

It's a shame that the knock-on effect is that BA gets the blame, when the fault lies elsewhere.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Luggage deliveryat LGW is already so appalling when "everything works" that I am struggling to imagine how bad it is in a case like today!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
Agree strongly with others - LGW is becoming a "best avoided airport" thanks to Swissport. As discussed in other similar threads, and a very lucid outline of the problem by (I believe) C-W-S, there's no easily solution in sight.

It's a shame that the knock-on effect is that BA gets the blame, when the fault lies elsewhere.
Indeed the problem is Swissport staff shortage, and the company have now placed 60 people in the LGW Hilton so they can work up to 18 hour shifts (which is astonishing in this weather) plus a short shift on day2. They are now being paid overtime from hour 7, in some cases £17 an hour, plus free food and drink at the Hilton. Here is the other thread referred to by T8191:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...yesterday.html

I can't see any Mods on duty so I'll repost these two photos from there, firstly BA's friendly customer service desk in LGW:

[My strong suspicion is that the staff don't want to be harranged for Swissport's resourcing issues!]

Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:06 am

This is what Gatwick says on baggage reclaim performance:

Airline Service Standards: This covers baggage delivery standards. We report how airlines at Gatwick perform against a target of delivering the last bag within 35 minutes for small and medium sized aircraft (such as a Boeing 737 or Airbus A320) and 50 minutes for large aircraft (such as a Boeing 777 or Airbus A330).
Palmer
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Morning, Roving Ambassador! Thanks for that - I was searching furiously. Post #9 was the one I was looking for!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is the poor ground handling by Swissport the reason that so many BA flights at LGW are delayed, or is that down to incompetency elsewhere?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
If Gatwick can't cope with a busy weekend, why should it be allowed to expand? Can't cope with the traffic it has it would seem.

£17 an hour for weekend working /nights isn't great IMHO.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Outsource the activity not the responsibility. It's one of the oldest management mantra's in the book.

BA is not blameless despite the best attempts of people on here to exonerate them.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Fully agree. BA have a contract with Swissport, something has gone wrong with it.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Fully agree. BA have a contract with Swissport, something has gone wrong with it.
Do BA have a contract with Swissport or do BA have a contract with LGW who, in turn, have a contract with Swissport? In reality, it does not matter much, but I am curious with whom BA should be having a stern conversation with. Probably both, I suppose.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techie
Do BA have a contract with Swissport or do BA have a contract with LGW who, in turn, have a contract with Swissport? In reality, it does not matter much, but I am curious with whom BA should be having a stern conversation with. Probably both, I suppose.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-17680621

Ba themselves outsourced the baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.