Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate A14

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by c1223
a) Flaps help control the surface area of the wing. They are ideal for landing as they can increase the surface area of the wing therefore allowing a larger amount of lift at a slower speed. They are on both the front (trailing) and back (leading) edge of the wing. They essentially reduce the stall speed of the aircraft (the speed at which no lift is generated).
Flaps increase the camber of the wing as well as the effective surface area. Stall speed is not the speed at which no lift is generated, it's the speed at which insufficient lift is generated. Furthermore (maybe you were simplifying things here) the flaps do not decrease the stall speed itself, they decrease the angle of attack that is needed to produce a given amount of lift at a certain speed. The stall is linked to angle of attack and hence reducing the required angle of attack means you can fly slower without problems.
Also, the front of the wing is the leading edge, not the trailing edge.
b) Ailerons are on the wings and are used to control the roll/bank of the aircraft. I.e. left or right. When you move the yoke to the left, the aileron on the left wing goes down, and the aileron on the right wing goes up.
When you move the stick to the left then the left aileron will go up, not down.
(Source: I have a private pilots' licence).
Perhaps time to re-take the theory section.

(edit) As for the original question: To get straight and level flight then make sure that the horizon does not appear tilted from side-to-side, i.e: The plane's wings are level relative to the horizon. That'll take care of straight (assuming it's not windy). Level is a little harder, just try various combinations of pitch (nose going up or down) and throttle until you dont climb or descend any more. Usually you'll need the nose very slightly (few degrees) above the horizon and the throttle quite a long way below full power. Don't bother with flaps unless you're trying to land.
Disclaimer: Never used flight sim, it could be a bit shonky.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I recently downloaded all three series of Flying Wild Alaska. I'm half way through watching them and it hasn't half got me in the mood again for learning to fly.

It's just the thought of crashing that's putting me off.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
a) They are on both the front (trailing) and back (leading) edge of the wing.
The front is the trailing edge? Doesn't sound right...

Edit: didn't read subsequent posts where this was corrected. Phew.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by antichef
You are using the wrong bits and worrying unnecessarily. Turn the "autopilot" to "ON".

Move your chair backwards until it is about four metres behind the joystick. Place a footstool or some small box between your chair and the joystick.

Now recline the seat and put your feet up on the footstool.

Look upwards and there will be a small call button above your head. Press the button. A flight attendant will arrive. Order a glass of champagne. Drink the champagne. Recline the seat as far as it will go. Place eyeshades on, and sleep until the flight attendant wakes you for landing.

There, that is all the "flight simulation" you need worry about for Lesson 1. With more practice, you will soon be ready for Lesson 2 - "opening the bag of crisps on domestic flights without using your teeth"

If I have learnt anything from my father who flew for BA for 30 odd years, it's that the essential skills for any self respecting pilot is to be able to drink coffee and read the Times.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by simonrp84
Perhaps time to re-take the theory section.
That'll teach me to try explain flying terms when I'm tired! I did indeed considerably oversimplify the idea of stalling as well as the use of the rudder!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Smile

Something completely different. I interviewed someone the other day who used to work on BMI's website around the Diamond Club - do you think it's worth me employing them?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Deleted - duplicate post
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What sort of plane is it simulating?
The simulator is MS Flight Sim 2004. I like the Learjet.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
And more importantly... Where is the hotel? I want a go
Protea Hotel OR Tambo. The whole hotel has an aviation theme, with wings, engines and service trolleys around the place!

What do the three levers look like? Like the one of the right?

Thanks for the advice c1223, I executed a great landing last night!

The levers look exactly like the one on the right and the stick is quite similar.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

England v Uruguay

I'd imagine a few BA FTr's may be watching the game and I wonder what the score is going to be?

Hard to call really I'd say!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PETER01
I'd imagine a few BA FTr's may be watching the game and I wonder what the score is going to be?

Hard to call really I'd say!
I would expect you'll be watching and supporting as well. Have you got an England flag hanging out of an upstairs window so the rest of your street can see as well?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
I would expect you'll be watching and supporting as well. Have you got an England flag hanging out of an upstairs window so the rest of your street can see as well?
Yes, I have an England flag ready to wave............for their homecoming this weekend
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PETER01
Yes, I have an England flag ready to wave............for their homecoming this weekend
Uruguay aren't very good so I fully expect England to win quite comfortably.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Probably true HIDDY but the World Cup can produce some surprising results like Spain now going home

The Commentators can be a PITA and keep harping on about who England will play if and when they win their next two matches

Give the players a break I'd say!

One game at a time please and I do hope England win tonight, really.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
England aren't very good either
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by paulwuk
England aren't very good either
And losing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.