Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate A14

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Is that the same Prince Andrew who spent most of his time travelling around the world at the Government's request as a trade ambassador then got criticised in the press for traveling too much.......you cannot make it up.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Annerk
My own opinion is that I hope that by the time the Queen is ready to pass along the throne, Charles will decide he'd rather play with his gardens and books and allow it to pass directly to William. I think William has a lot of his mothers compassion and would use his position like he's already doing--to make the world a better place.

Just the musings of a Yank.
+1
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My own opinion is that I hope that by the time the Queen is ready to pass along the throne, Charles will decide he'd rather play with his gardens and books and allow it to pass directly to William. I think William has a lot of his mothers compassion and would use his position like he's already doing--to make the world a better place.

But the bugbear of a hereditary monarchy is that you don't get to choose. A system mot for the times, perhaps, but since it's quaint and harmless, why rock the boat?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Quote:

But the bugbear of a hereditary monarchy is that you don't get to choose. A system mot for the times, perhaps, but since it's quaint and harmless, why rock the boat?
But given the "powers" are largely ceremonial, I prefer the Queen / Charles / William over President Tusk / Van Rumpoy / Blair or Bercrow!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: ABBA
The "don't choose" thing is good - no politics. Of course we can choose, if the British people wanted we could get rid of the whole thing easily.

I'd rather pay for the monarchy than pay for a bunch of gamblers to be bailed out when they lose all my money.

Besides they were on tonight's news (fairly low down the running order), so qualify as "celebs". I suppose Nicholas Witchall was on the flight too, I wonder what cabin.

Last edited by paulwuk; Dec 9, 2014 at 5:41 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:04 pm

I think if they've any sense the Royal Household will 'suggest' he takes that route whether he likes it or not. He's not a popular bloke and neither is his wife, and once the Queen is gone the country won't need many more excuses to get rid of the lot of them. William and Kate seem to be working hard to cultivate their image, which I assume is because they know they're next up.

I also think its an embarrassment the UK government doesn't have a private aircraft for senior officials.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30377508

The firm hoping to make economy flights more comfortable
More seat info, if needed.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Why has this thread morphed into another Sleb thread?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by thatsthebadger

Will and Kate are a good advertisement for GB I think, and Harry
They are all lovely individuals but an appalling advertisement for the UK.

Their status is entirely hereditary. That's not the image I want us to project to the world.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paul4040

Their status is entirely hereditary. That's not the image I want us to project to the world.
I disagree. I think most of the World understands the system. Many European countries still have a Royal family. If they don't get it, then they are the few that don't.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
Sometimes some of the threads on here, resemble the Daily Mail most days.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chris1979
But given the "powers" are largely ceremonial, I prefer the Queen / Charles / William over President Tusk / Van Rumpoy / Blair or Bercrow!
I don't disagree with you at all!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Because the contents got moved here (rightly or wrongly) from the 'Celebs on BA' thread by the moderators.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by origin
Sometimes some of the threads on here, resemble the Daily Mail most days.
Originally Posted by headingwest
Because the contents got moved here (rightly or wrongly) from the 'Celebs on BA' thread by the moderators.
Ah, thanks. I ignore a number of threads on FT these days, and the Slebs thread was one of them. I hadn't planned on ignoring A14, but if needs must ...

from him over there mouthing Bah Humbug.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by paul4040

Originally Posted by origin
I disagree. I think most of the World understands the system. Many European countries still have a Royal family. If they don't get it, then they are the few that don't.
Look at the US: Jebb to follow George W and George H? Hillary to follow Bill? Many sons and daughters in politics. It's dynasties based on ability to fund-raise, use the family name and contact 'black book'. I don't think a hereditary, ceremonial monarchy (as seen as in many other countries (European and Worldwide)) is that bad a comparison - I'd rather have that than Blair Junior and Cameroon Junior.

Ah, thanks. I ignore a number of threads on FT these days, and the Slebs thread was one of them. I hadn't planned on ignoring A14, but if needs must ...

from him over there mouthing Bah Humbug.
apologies. my first array into Gate A14 because our little monarchy conversation got moved. Will try to behave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.