Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Flew BA BCN-LHR. Pilot on inbound LHR-BCN got sick and had to be replaced. Result 154 mins delay for both take off from BCN and landing in LHR.

I submitted 261/2004 claim, but it was refused because the landing delay was less than 3 hours. I was under impression that for under 1500 kms flights, long delay and compensation starts at 2 hours.

Am I correct?
As I posted on the other thread on which you raised the same question, delay compensation only kicks in if you are delayed by 3 hours or more in arriving at your final destination. See the operative paragraphs in bold at the end of the Sturgeon judgment linked below if you still don't believe me:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...7J0402:EN:HTML

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Assuming that you were not connecting onwards from Heathrow...

BCN-LHR is 713 miles / 1147 Km so you are correct that the compensation time is 2 hours

I would reply back stating the same
I suggest you too may want to refresh your memory on the above judgment, Dave!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:51 pm

Flew BA BCN-LHR. Pilot on inbound LHR-BCN got sick and had to be replaced.
Is a sick pilot at an outpost not an extraordinary circumstance beyond the airline's control?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Flew BA BCN-LHR. Pilot on inbound LHR-BCN got sick and had to be replaced. Result 154 mins delay for both take off from BCN and landing in LHR.

I submitted 261/2004 claim, but it was refused because the landing delay was less than 3 hours. I was under impression that for under 1500 kms flights, long delay and compensation starts at 2 hours.

Am I correct?
No, and neither is Dave Noble:
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Assuming that you were not connecting onwards from Heathrow...

BCN-LHR is 713 miles / 1147 Km so you are correct that the compensation time is 2 hours

I would reply back stating the same

If you were just connecting in Heathrow, then distance to actual destination is what matters
The Sturgeon judgment is completely unambiguous that a passenger must experience a loss of time equivalent to three hours at their final destination to be eligible for delay compensation.

BigRedBears is entitled to refreshments appropriate to the duration of the delay, and two reasonable-length telephone calls, telexes, fax messages, or emails, or to be reimbursed for the reasonable and receipted cost of same.

Originally Posted by angatol
Is a sick pilot at an outpost not an extraordinary circumstance beyond the airline's control?
Probably, but BA does not need to rely on this defence as the delay was insufficient in duration.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:03 am

Thanks stifle.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by potfish
Updating mine:

I got another refusal from BA, in which the only difference was that they changed the point of discovery of the fault from immediately before my flight to immediately before the incoming sector.

I have initiated legal proceedings.
I am at that point as well. Any tips on how to best/easiest initiate?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sts603
I am at that point as well. Any tips on how to best/easiest initiate?
If you have an address in the UK, see post one, point 36. Scotland has a similar but different postal process as well.

If not, in some places you are able to use local court processes to pursue consumer protection issues, I have heard of people using EU legislation in US court proceedings, however I have no experience of this area.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Not sure this falls under EU compensation but I would like some advice about my situation. On a BA buisness class ticket from GLA-LCY-JFK-BOS. Land in JFK at the end of a storm, they had canceled all flights that night. No flights to BOS till Tuesday (all this was around Jan 6th). BA agent on phone told me it would be fine to stay in hotel and get to Boston next day by train, that I could initiate a claim later and they made sure my ticket would still be valid. Since my leg between JFK and BOS was covered by AA, BA passed me off to them for the expenses and AA denied saying it was out of their control. What should I do next? Go back to BA? Reply to AA and cite EU regulations since it was a BA ticket? I didn't think this would be a problem given my level of ticket and the clear fault of AA to have flights available, nor staff to give out hotel vouchers. All I was asking for was compensation for expenses, with receipts.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by AirHelp
It could be an extraordinary circumstances, if the pilot bacames seriously ill on-board or during the flight (according to Preliminary list of extraordinary circumstances).
That depends in what circumstances or when the pilot became ill and it appears that in this particular case the delay was less than the 3 hour cut off for a potential claim to kick in.

However, the list of ECs to which you refer has no basis or force in law, having been drawn up more as a wish list by several NEBs across Europe. Some of the so called ECs contained in that list contradict existing case law so I wouldn't put any store by this at all. Indeed certain District Judges in small claims cases involving 261/2004 have dismissed it out of hand as having no standing in law.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by bvaler
Not sure this falls under EU compensation but I would like some advice about my situation. On a BA buisness class ticket from GLA-LCY-JFK-BOS. Land in JFK at the end of a storm, they had canceled all flights that night. No flights to BOS till Tuesday (all this was around Jan 6th). BA agent on phone told me it would be fine to stay in hotel and get to Boston next day by train, that I could initiate a claim later and they made sure my ticket would still be valid. Since my leg between JFK and BOS was covered by AA, BA passed me off to them for the expenses and AA denied saying it was out of their control. What should I do next? Go back to BA? Reply to AA and cite EU regulations since it was a BA ticket? I didn't think this would be a problem given my level of ticket and the clear fault of AA to have flights available, nor staff to give out hotel vouchers. All I was asking for was compensation for expenses, with receipts.
That's a tricky one. On balance I don't think you are covered here under EC261/2004 as the affected flight was outwith the European Union. The fact that it was a BA ticket doesn't matter, in the same way that someone travelling LHR-JFK on an AA ticket can still claim. One for your travel insurers I'd say.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Hi All

First time in this situation and would appreciate some feedback. I was in Club on the BA677 last night from IST to LHR. We all boarded and were then told the plane was tech due to an engine fault which was identified on landing !! Sat on the 767 for over 3 hours with very little in terms of food and drink. Why the hell did they board us in the first place knowing the aircraft was tech !!!

Anyway departure was over 3 hours late. Scheduled at 16:40 but left, according to Flightaware at 20:06. http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW677

Reading through I guess I am entitled but would like the "Guru's" to confirm prior to sending an online claim to BA.

Many thanks
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a tricky one. On balance I don't think you are covered here under EC261/2004 as the affected flight was outwith the European Union. The fact that it was a BA ticket doesn't matter, in the same way that someone travelling LHR-JFK on an AA ticket can still claim. One for your travel insurers I'd say.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Hi All

First time in this situation and would appreciate some feedback. I was in Club on the BA677 last night from IST to LHR. We all boarded and were then told the plane was tech due to an engine fault which was identified on landing !! Sat on the 767 for over 3 hours with very little in terms of food and drink. Why the hell did they board us in the first place knowing the aircraft was tech !!!

Anyway departure was over 3 hours late. Scheduled at 16:40 but left, according to Flightaware at 20:06. http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW677

Reading through I guess I am entitled but would like the "Guru's" to confirm prior to sending an online claim to BA.

Many thanks
I was on the same flight last night, also in Club. BA.com says the flight landed at 2209, so 194 minutes late (and just inside the magic 3 hours). I understood that as the flight was on an EU carrier into the EU it would be covered. Let me know how you get on!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by shefgab
I was on the same flight last night, also in Club. BA.com says the flight landed at 2209, so 194 minutes late (and just inside the magic 3 hours). I understood that as the flight was on an EU carrier into the EU it would be covered. Let me know how you get on!
Will do. Just sent the claim in and also asked why they trapped us on board knowing there was an issue. I was in 3J btw hello
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
This is certainly tricky. What I can say is that I know somebody on an AA-operated BA flight number LHR-JFK-MCO on January 7th who was met at JFK by AA staff and given new BP for the next day and hotel reservation and voucher.

Since you called BA and they told you to claim, I would suggest you take it up with them stating that AA refused. Presumably also, since they protected your JFK-BOS flight, that coupon must still be available to use in the future, no?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:45 am

i was dealyed on a flight from Rio for 20 hours towards the end of last year due to a sick captain.

BA are claiming extrordianry circumstances, I wondered what people's thoughts are and whether you felt there would be a dstrong chance of success if this went to court.

I would argue that staff ilnness is something that every company experiences and should have adequate contingency plans in place. My understanding regarding the reasonableness point is that this only becomes relevant if it is found that staff illness, is in itself, an extraordinary cicrumstance.

As a side note, BA have already paid compensation to another passenger on the flight but have claimed this was a mistake.

Really appreciate any thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.