Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to Household Accounts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by matinicus rock
This must be a relatively new rule because when I used a 2for1 in November of 2011 with a friend, I had to add him to my HHA and then remove him 6 months later - so certainly this change is a nice welcome.

HOWEVER, with this new rule, how do you redeem a voucher with someone not on your HHA? When you try to redeem online and enter your desired itinerary, and just select yourself as a traveler, unchecking boxes of those in your HHA, thre's no box that pops up asking you to enter the non-HHA companion? So does this mean the reservation cannot be completed online if your companion is not in your HHA - you have to do it over the phone?
No, this is not a new rule..... it has been the rule from the very beginning of the 2-4-1 voucher program three years ago (I have taken a non-HHA member on a voucher flight every year since the program's inception). And yes, you must do it by phone, in my experience.

However, some of the US-based CSR's get confused and attempt to enforce the U.K.-based rule. For my most recent booking, I quoted the U.S.-based Terms & Conditions to the CSR, but the CSR insisted that I was quoting an outdated copy of the T&Cs, and the the U.S. vouchers were converting the the U.K. rule (all companions had to be HHA members). The CSR then helpfully suggested that I add my buddy to the HHA .... and kept me on the line while I added my buddy, knowing full well that my companion did not reside in my household.

That was 8 months ago, and the T&C's have not changed. In fact, I have subsequently verified by e-mail with BAEC that the U.S. rule and the U.K. rule are opposite. U.S. members can take non-HHA companions, U.K. members cannot.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by pauldb
I feel as if I must be missing something obvious, but how do I, as a Head of Household, find a combined statement? All I can see is my own statement and the combined HHA balance.
^^ Ditto. Anyone aware of how to access this. Hunted high and low on BA.com and can't find anything.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
^^ Ditto. Anyone aware of how to access this. Hunted high and low on BA.com and can't find anything.
I wasn't aware of this either.

Let's see who can find it first

(I knew how to do this with the old bmi household accounts, one of the few things on flybmi.com that worked)

EDIT: can't find it, but I did get a weird banner on MMB:

Anyone know what the ad used to say?
LancashireFlyer likes this.

Last edited by layz; Jul 7, 2013 at 3:53 am
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:18 am

Setting up the HHA and then cancelling

I'd like to set up a HHA to facilitate our family of four going to Hawaii next year on Alaska. We need 100K (25K x4). Spouse has 49K and I have 51K, so this will work out well. I plan to be the HoH.

Once the HHA is set-up, I will be booking flights soon for next June, but I'd like to dissolve the HHA before then (probably in the fall, when I expect to do another points transfer to BA during bonus time), so I can book some flights for me and a non-household account member. Would it be possible to dissolve the HHA in, say, October (that's only 3 months from now), and if so, would that affect flights already booked in July (for June 2014) via the HHA? Also, how long does it take to dissolve the HHA (24-48 hours - or longer)?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by pokee
I'd like to set up a HHA to facilitate our family of four going to Hawaii next year on Alaska. We need 100K (25K x4). Spouse has 49K and I have 51K, so this will work out well. I plan to be the HoH.

Once the HHA is set-up, I will be booking flights soon for next June, but I'd like to dissolve the HHA before then (probably in the fall, when I expect to do another points transfer to BA during bonus time), so I can book some flights for me and a non-household account member. Would it be possible to dissolve the HHA in, say, October (that's only 3 months from now), and if so, would that affect flights already booked in July (for June 2014) via the HHA? Also, how long does it take to dissolve the HHA (24-48 hours - or longer)?
Review post #1:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21028657-post1.html
6---You can only make changes to a HHA once every six months.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Review post #1:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21028657-post1.html
Quote:
6---You can only make changes to a HHA once every six months.
I don't think this is accurate for dissolving the account after first opening it, though. I think this just pertains to changes (adding/removing and re-establishing).

I read on this on The Points Guy website:

You can disband a Household Account at any time, but you can’t re-create another for 6 months.

The BA website says this in T&C:
16.1.7Once a Household Account is established, new member(s) may not be added or existing member(s) removed more than once every six months. A Household Account may not be dissolved or re-established more than once every six months.

The wording states that the HHA cannot be re-established until 6 months after dissolving - but it doesn't say anything about dissolving after the first creation of the HHA. This leads me to believe I can do what I want (dissolve in October, after creating in July - just can't re-establish one till April - six months after dissolving) - correct? I guess it depends on how you interpret this!

Can anyone confirm based on experience? I am sure calling to clarify will get me the same ambiguity...

Last edited by pokee; Jul 16, 2013 at 4:37 pm
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:45 pm

Question zero Avios accounts

thanks for collecting all the HHA stuff in one place!

what i couldn't find is if it is possible for new members of executive club whom i joined to my HHA to actually redeem the tickets themselves from shared Avios. it is strictly said that zero Avios points accounts cant' do anything but is it same true after joining HHA?

or can i book a ticket for them myself?

thanks for any idea!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by daemond
thanks for collecting all the HHA stuff in one place!

what i couldn't find is if it is possible for new members of executive club whom i joined to my HHA to actually redeem the tickets themselves from shared Avios. it is strictly said that zero Avios points accounts cant' do anything but is it same true after joining HHA?

or can i book a ticket for them myself?

thanks for any idea!
From the terms and conditions:
16.1.10Any Household Account member can individually redeem from the Household Account, regardless of who earned the redeemed Avios, including without limitation, all or part of the total Avios earned by the other members of the Household Account. Each member is solely responsible for discussing with other Household Account members decisions concerning the use and redemption of Avios under any Household Account as between members.
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...n/public/en_gb
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:00 pm

oh, great! thanks a lot for highlighting this specific clause, hopefully the "w/o limitations" statement is more powerful than a general zero Avios restriction
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:37 pm

Isn't there also a limitation to transferring Avios to Iberia if your BA ccount is a Household one?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by erik19283
Isn't there also a limitation to transferring Avios to Iberia if your BA ccount is a Household one?
No, but there is a limitation transferring FROM Iberia.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Would appreciate your help; If one of the HHA members are BA Gold will all booking have the same GOLD benefits even if the HHA Gold member isn’t the Head of the Household account?

Or does only the status of the Head of the Household counts toward the benefits?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Atlantico
Would appreciate your help; If one of the HHA members are BA Gold will all booking have the same GOLD benefits even if the HHA Gold member isn’t the Head of the Household account?

Or does only the status of the Head of the Household counts toward the benefits?
For things like seating allocation and priority check-in its the highest status person on the booking that counts. For lounge access the normal rules apply, gold card member plus one guest.

HHA have no impact on status.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Wrong EC number

Hello

Some time ago I made a redeption booking using our Household account.
Only recetly did I go to Manage My Booking and saw that we have both been given my EC number.
I don't remember entering a wrong number.
How can I rectify this? As far as I can tell I can't edit it online. It may not seem too important as this is a redemption booking but there is also the possibility of having to cancel the booking due to a hospital treatment coming up and don't want any problems.

If cancelling is it correct that I (Silver) will be charged £25 but my partner (Gold) will be charged nothing.

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by Stormbel
Only recently did I go to Manage My Booking and saw that we have both been given my EC number.
I don't remember entering a wrong number.
How can I rectify this? As far as I can tell I can't edit it online. It may not seem too important as this is a redemption booking but there is also the possibility of having to cancel the booking due to a hospital treatment coming up and don't want any problems.
Noticed this on a redemption booking I travelled on recently. I booked it and when logged onto my EC account on BA.com both my wife and myself had my EC number assigned to our names in MMB. When she logged onto her account and checked the MMB for the same flight her correct EC number was against her name.

I guess it's a glitch in BAs system. I have to assume it would make no difference regarding any cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.