Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
The FlyerTalk BAEC Forum London DO!

Date and timings: Friday 7th June from 6pm

Pre-boarding is from 5pm, but the main event kicks off at 6pm. Indicative timings for the rest of the evening are food at 7:30 and auction at 8:30. These may move slightly on the day depending on when people arrive, so get there early!

Venue: Parliament Panorama, St Thomas' Hospital, SE1 7EH

There will be signage and staff available to guide you to your gate, but the venue is essentially in between the waterfront and St Thomas' hospital, it is visible from Westminster Bridge.

This is quite an exciting venue that Chris and I have managed to procure, we hope you all enjoy it! We have use of XboX and Wii, with large TV screens, for some gaming entertainment. The view will of course be wonderful, if you can pull yourselves away from the bar. There is also an outdoor area, with views over the Thames towards The Houses of Parliament. See below for the current build status!

Food:

The venue have very kindly agreed to put on a "British Summer Classic" picnic free of charge, this will include;

Mini coronation chicken tarts
Mini pea, asparagus tarts with mint crme fraiche
Selection of smoked salmon and mackerel with horseradish cream and watercress
Beetroot, orange and rhubard salad
British cheese platter with oatcakes and relish
Hand carved meats with piccalilli and breas

Alcohol:

There will be a bar on site serving bottled beers, spirits, wines and champagne. The prices are very reasonable, starting at just 3 for a bottle of beer! Please note that there will only be one credit card machine at the venue, so we kindly ask you to bring cash and only use the machine for larger purchases!

Link to Pre-Order wine list

Local amenities:

There are numerous hotels in the local area (ranging from Premier Inn to Mariott) and the venue is located 10 minutes walk from Waterloo Station and Westminster Station.

Auction and raffle:

We will be holding a charity auction at the event, full "prizes" to be announced on the night (we are looking for kind donations, so if anyone has anything to auction then please do let us know), but the current offering is:

Two week vacation in an Orlando villa. The villa has 7 bedrooms, sleeping up to 14 people, has a pool, gamesroom and large family room. It is located just a few miles from the theme parks and overlooks a nature reserve. Flights are not included and blackout dates (such as bank holidays and school holidays) will apply. Please PM me for further information.

Fancy having an FT renowned chef cook you and 3 guests dinner? Fancy having food and alcohol included? I know I do, so if you live within the M25 then bid for this amazing prize!

So you've bid for, and won, the chef's dinner for 4 persons. What could make the night even more special? How about having our very own pianoamit supply his wonderful musical talent? A piano is required, but this is one talent not to be missed!

Case of Champagne kindly donated by one of the suppliers to the event.

There will also be a raffle, with tickets costing 10 each and an amazing array of prizes on offer! This is a St Thomas' hospital raffle with just 300 tickets on sale, so when they are gone, they are gone! Snap them up quickly!

Link to Raffle Prizes

Charity begins on FT

We are a lovely bunch, but let us not forget that whilst we complain about the gloop in Galleries First or the breadcrumbs on our seat in Club Europe or the horror of trying to drink slightly warm vintage Champagne in First that there are people out there who are genuinely suffering. So whilst we are drinking Champagne and enjoying the beautiful view across the river, please do dig deep and consider those less fortunate. As such we will be supporting two charities that I feel passionately about, one I have known about for some time, the other is new to me, but one that touches the heart;

Holidays For Heroes: Our very own T8192 and his Bears work for this not-for-profit organisation, which provides respite holidays for our military wounded, wives/widows and their families.
Evelina Trust: An NHS Foundation to support sick children and their families, run by the very venue we are hosting our event in.
Print Wikipost

London* Do - Friday 7 June (* Sarf)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by pianoamit
Sounds like fun - put me down!
Someone please find a pub with a piano!!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
whats wrong with Infernos.. ?
That's like saying "what's wrong with an AA 757 TATL in Y?".

or "what's wrong with all the catering enhancements?"

some things are simply wrong.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
As a disgruntled local, one of the first things I would recommend to clean up the Clapham area would be the closure of Infernos and the vile behaviour and detritus it attracts every weekend
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
What one is Infernos? I rarely go to Clapham, and the only place I know for definite is the comedy club.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
What one is Infernos? I rarely go to Clapham, and the only place I know for definite is the comedy club.
It's half way up / down the high street on the left hand side (if you are heading north). Look out for the vomit smell and queues of just-out-of-uni types queuing to relive cheesy Uni bop days now that they are earning money and live in London. It's after McDonalds and before Belgo.

I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt so am not judging anyone. It's just a bit AA narrow-body l/h Y once you hit a certain age (probably 25).
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I think the last time I was in Infernos was 2007. Threw up over the bar. Managed to avoid being kicked out. Quality.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nh1980
As a disgruntled local, one of the first things I would recommend to clean up the Clapham area would be the closure of Infernos and the vile behaviour and detritus it attracts every weekend
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I think the last time I was in Infernos was 2007. Threw up over the bar. Managed to avoid being kicked out. Quality.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Sounds ace. Where are we going for drinks beforehand?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Threw up over the bar. Managed to avoid being kicked out. Quality.
sounds like an average FT do. or F flight. for some.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by chris1979
It's half way up / down the high street on the left hand side (if you are heading north). Look out for the vomit smell and queues of just-out-of-uni types queuing to relive cheesy Uni bop days now that they are earning money and live in London. It's after McDonalds and before Belgo.

I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt so am not judging anyone. It's just a bit AA narrow-body l/h Y once you hit a certain age (probably 25).
It's before Maccy D's To "types" add out of town wideboys and chavettes who don't want to pay the higher cab fares and club entry fees in "taaaaaahn" (i.e. West End) and wannabe fight club members though they are increasingly heading to nearby Aquum with it's classy white leatherette seating, faux chandeliers and UV lighting! And AA longhaul makes it sound posh, more like Ryanair to Magaluf!

I fully believe it has a right to exist and it has its place and appeal, its just a shame the people who go there (and around) have no respect for the neighbours and neighbourhood and Lambeth seems powerless/can't be bothered to stop it.

Anyway I'm going to stop being Victor Meldrew with my world to rights speeches and I look forward to meeting everyone in my 'hood come June!!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:27 am
Original Poster

It's before Maccy D's To "types" add out of town wideboys and chavettes who don't want to pay the higher cab fares and club entry fees in "taaaaaahn" (i.e. West End) and wannabe fight club members though they are increasingly heading to nearby Aquum with it's classy white leatherette seating, faux chandeliers and UV lighting! And AA longhaul makes it sound posh, more like Ryanair to Magaluf!

I fully believe it has a right to exist and it has its place and appeal, its just a shame the people who go there (and around) have no respect for the neighbours and neighbourhood and Lambeth seems powerless/can't be bothered to stop it.

Anyway I'm going to stop being Victor Meldrew with my world to rights speeches and I look forward to meeting everyone in my 'hood come June!!
moved on (i.e. away) from C'lahm years ago but won't go down the route of suggesting that that 'hood is for the type of people you describe.

very civilised in the Oval / Cleaver Square area....
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:30 am

Cleaver Square is lovely, there are some gorgeous well preserved pockets in the Kennington to Stockwell stretch that get overlooked e.g. Cleaver square, Durand gardens, Albert square
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:38 am

Cleaver Square is lovely, there are some gorgeous well preserved pockets in the Kennington to Stockwell stretch that get overlooked e.g. Cleaver square, Durand gardens, Albert square
*cue EastEnders tune*
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
If you want "c**t-soup", look no further than Gigalum down by Clapham South...<shudder>
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Clapham really does sound delightful - so glad it's easier for me to go the
West End... doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.