Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
The FlyerTalk BAEC Forum London DO!

Date and timings: Friday 7th June from 6pm

Pre-boarding is from 5pm, but the main event kicks off at 6pm. Indicative timings for the rest of the evening are food at 7:30 and auction at 8:30. These may move slightly on the day depending on when people arrive, so get there early!

Venue: Parliament Panorama, St Thomas' Hospital, SE1 7EH

There will be signage and staff available to guide you to your gate, but the venue is essentially in between the waterfront and St Thomas' hospital, it is visible from Westminster Bridge.

This is quite an exciting venue that Chris and I have managed to procure, we hope you all enjoy it! We have use of XboX and Wii, with large TV screens, for some gaming entertainment. The view will of course be wonderful, if you can pull yourselves away from the bar. There is also an outdoor area, with views over the Thames towards The Houses of Parliament. See below for the current build status!

Food:

The venue have very kindly agreed to put on a "British Summer Classic" picnic free of charge, this will include;

Mini coronation chicken tarts
Mini pea, asparagus tarts with mint crme fraiche
Selection of smoked salmon and mackerel with horseradish cream and watercress
Beetroot, orange and rhubard salad
British cheese platter with oatcakes and relish
Hand carved meats with piccalilli and breas

Alcohol:

There will be a bar on site serving bottled beers, spirits, wines and champagne. The prices are very reasonable, starting at just 3 for a bottle of beer! Please note that there will only be one credit card machine at the venue, so we kindly ask you to bring cash and only use the machine for larger purchases!

Link to Pre-Order wine list

Local amenities:

There are numerous hotels in the local area (ranging from Premier Inn to Mariott) and the venue is located 10 minutes walk from Waterloo Station and Westminster Station.

Auction and raffle:

We will be holding a charity auction at the event, full "prizes" to be announced on the night (we are looking for kind donations, so if anyone has anything to auction then please do let us know), but the current offering is:

Two week vacation in an Orlando villa. The villa has 7 bedrooms, sleeping up to 14 people, has a pool, gamesroom and large family room. It is located just a few miles from the theme parks and overlooks a nature reserve. Flights are not included and blackout dates (such as bank holidays and school holidays) will apply. Please PM me for further information.

Fancy having an FT renowned chef cook you and 3 guests dinner? Fancy having food and alcohol included? I know I do, so if you live within the M25 then bid for this amazing prize!

So you've bid for, and won, the chef's dinner for 4 persons. What could make the night even more special? How about having our very own pianoamit supply his wonderful musical talent? A piano is required, but this is one talent not to be missed!

Case of Champagne kindly donated by one of the suppliers to the event.

There will also be a raffle, with tickets costing 10 each and an amazing array of prizes on offer! This is a St Thomas' hospital raffle with just 300 tickets on sale, so when they are gone, they are gone! Snap them up quickly!

Link to Raffle Prizes

Charity begins on FT

We are a lovely bunch, but let us not forget that whilst we complain about the gloop in Galleries First or the breadcrumbs on our seat in Club Europe or the horror of trying to drink slightly warm vintage Champagne in First that there are people out there who are genuinely suffering. So whilst we are drinking Champagne and enjoying the beautiful view across the river, please do dig deep and consider those less fortunate. As such we will be supporting two charities that I feel passionately about, one I have known about for some time, the other is new to me, but one that touches the heart;

Holidays For Heroes: Our very own T8192 and his Bears work for this not-for-profit organisation, which provides respite holidays for our military wounded, wives/widows and their families.
Evelina Trust: An NHS Foundation to support sick children and their families, run by the very venue we are hosting our event in.
Print Wikipost

London* Do - Friday 7 June (* Sarf)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by rxfleming
Please add me to the attendees +2. Ill be bringing 2 guests, I hope that's ok!
Looking forward to this
My First Do!
Absolutely - the more the merrier.

Attendee list updated and am sure you'll enjoy your first do.
Old May 9, 2013, 5:21 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
London* Do - Friday 7 June (* Sarf)

Ill be flying out the next day via GF so might have to keep drinking champagne through the night
Old May 9, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by rxfleming
Ill be flying out the next day via GF so might have to keep drinking champagne through the night
Highly recommend that after a DO, the hangover next day otherwise might be unbearable.

Ask how I know...
Old May 9, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
I'm in! Thanks organisers!
Old May 10, 2013, 1:00 am

Cracking venue guys! Well done. Just around the corner from work, too - easy. Myself and Mrs Flashware are definites for this ^
Old May 10, 2013, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Right, so further to Steve's updates and the announcement last night, here's a bit more detail:

The venue is Parliament Panorama, Riverside, St Thomas Hospital, Westminster.

We will have a heated and waterproof marquee with an outside area under cover and an open terrace. Maximum capacity is 300 so feel free to invite along lurkers, OneWorld friends, friends, family, better halves etc.

It is a private event with security so there will be a guest list and attendees will need ID (more from me on this later).

Gavin is kindly laying on finger food themed "summer picnic". See wiki for detail.

As mentioned, the bar is serving wide range of drinks (I can upload the wine list later - in EDI lounge at the moment) including champagne, wine, bottled beers (no draught beers) all at very reasonable prices.

Giant Jenga, Wi consoles and full music system available for our use.

Parking is available and nearest underground stations are Westminster or Waterloo. We'll work up some hotel suggestions for those needing them.

The venue suggests anyone wishing to join the Infernos After-Party set off around 11pm and those of us more sensible start drinking up around the same time.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Looks awesome, thanks organisers for booking this! Looks like just a quick trip on the W&C line from work!

Very much looking forward to this and will be sun-dancing for good weather
Old May 10, 2013, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by chris1979

It is a private event with security so there will be a guest list and attendees will need ID (more from me on this later).
Can you please put me down as +1

ID card, a friend was recently crossing the border by bus in Norway and the only form of ID card he had was his gym pass which they accepted
Old May 10, 2013, 3:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Hotels

Originally Posted by chris1979
Right, so further to Steve's updates and the announcement last night, here's a bit more detail:

The venue is Parliament Panorama, Riverside, St Thomas Hospital, Westminster.

We will have a heated and waterproof marquee with an outside area under cover and an open terrace. Maximum capacity is 300 so feel free to invite along lurkers, OneWorld friends, friends, family, better halves etc.

Gavin is kindly laying on finger food themed "summer picnic". See wiki for detail.

As mentioned, the bar is serving wide range of drinks (I can upload the wine list later - in EDI lounge at the moment) including champagne, wine, bottled beers (no draught beers) all at very reasonable prices.

Giant Jenga, Wi consoles and full music system available for our use.

Parking is available and nearest underground stations are Westminster or Waterloo. We'll work up some hotel suggestions for those needing them.

The venue suggests anyone wishing to join the Infernos After-Party set off around 11pm and those of us more sensible start drinking up around the same time.
Hi Chris

So we have corporate rates with Park Plaza Westminster/County Hallm these are nearest hotels, and I can recommend the 1 Bed Iconic view Suites, amazing views There is Mariott County Hall accross the road. Double Tree Westminster is nearest Hilton property 15 minute walk across Lambeth Bridge, we have corporate rates with Hilton Tower Bridge as well. For those on more of budget, Premier Inn County Hall, or cheaper and nicer the new Premier Inn Waterloo on York Road, used to be our old Lying in Hospital
Old May 10, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Please put me down as skye1 +1

Referring to plane comments upthread, perhaps we should book a roundtrip out of LGW for Saturday (Jersey, RTM, etc.) since we'll be "sarf" anyways
Old May 10, 2013, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skye1
Please put me down as skye1 +1

Referring to plane comments upthread, perhaps we should book a roundtrip out of LGW for Saturday (Jersey, RTM, etc.) since we'll be "sarf" anyways
I am off LHR-ATH-LHR/LCY-JFK-MIA-SFO (with a few night stops to make the most of the journey) the next day with an overseas based FT friend. Come along ;-)
Old May 10, 2013, 5:29 am

Sounds good ^ Looking forward to it!

Last edited by Top of climb; May 14, 2013 at 3:09 am
Old May 10, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
btw, it looks like it's pianoamit +1 (unless I already said that...?)
Old May 10, 2013, 6:22 am

Aha! I was planning a long and tedious public transport trek for that Friday; a break of journey for my first FT do sounds ideal. So please count me in (no +1, sadly).

Given that it's a private event with security, would there be a quiet corner I could stash a suitcase? No worries if not, presumably there's a left luggage service at Waterloo.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Luggage

Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
Aha! I was planning a long and tedious public transport trek for that Friday; a break of journey for my first FT do sounds ideal. So please count me in (no +1, sadly).

Given that it's a private event with security, would there be a quiet corner I could stash a suitcase? No worries if not, presumably there's a left luggage service at Waterloo.
Hi Flying Doctor, luggage storage no problem, we may x-ray your bag to make you feel at home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.