Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LDNConsultant
This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Lucrative runs that have been reported under £3/TP - current availability not guaranteed
Route | Booking class | Fare | Booking channel | TPs | £/TP | credit

American Airlines

SFO-LAX-MIA-CUN | A/A/I | £498 return | aa.com | 620 TPs | £0.80/TP | chris1979
ORD-STL-DFW-SJU | A/A/I | £458 return | aa.com | 520 TPs | £0.88/TP | timezonehopper
SFO-LAX-MIA-CUN-MIA-LAX-LAS | A/A/I/I/A/A | £581 round trip | aa.com | 620 TPs | £0.94/TP | courtster
AMS-LHR-LAX-SFO-JFK-LHR-AMS | I/I/A/A/I/I | £1641 round trip | aa.com | 630 TPs | £2.60/TP | mccorry
IST-LHR/LCY-JFK-EZE-MIA-LHR-IST | I/I/I/I/I/I | £2106 round trip | aa.com | 790TPs | £2.61/TP | nth_utsera_sth_utsera
45 day advance purchase required, minimum stay 7 days.

British Airways
LGW-MLA | R | £248 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | £1.55/TP | LDNConsultant
LGW-RAK | R | £280 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | £1.75/TP | mfgr
Book by 31/12/13 for this price.
JER-LGW-AMS | J/R | £259 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | £1.62/TP | joejet
LGW-JER | R | £181 return | ba.com | 80 TPs | £2.26/TP
LGW-AMS | R | £199 return | ba.com | 80 TPs | £2.49/TP
BRU-LHR//LCY-JFK-SEA (last bit on AA) and back | I/I/A | £1,529 return | probably have to phone up | 920 TPs | £1.66/TP | stifle
Outbound 12/4-27/4 or 25/6-24/8, min stay Sat night, ticket by 2/1/14

Royal Jordanian
BEY-AMM-AQJ | D | £255 return | rj.com | 160 TPs | £1.59/TP | DeanB

Malaysia Airlines
SIN-KUL-KCH | D | S$660 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 160 TPs | £2.12/TP |HPN-HRL
DEL-KUL-BKK | Z | INR41,666 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 360TPs| £1.15/TP| Seshy
DEL-KUL-NRT | Z | INR92,395 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 560TPs| £1.64/TP| Seshy
ICN-KUL-SYD/MEL | Z | KRW1,582,600 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 560TPs| £1.65/TP| armagebedar
SIN-KUL-DXB | Z | S$1084 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.50/TP | qasr (+long haul equipment on KUL-DXB)
SIN-KUL-TPE | Z | S$1078 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.49/TP | qasr
SIN-KUL-DEL | Z | S$1018 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.41/TP | qasr
SIN-KUL-KTM | Z | S$1006 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.39/TP | qasr

Qatar Airways
CAI-DOH-BKK | £759 return | D/D/D/A | 360 TPs | £2.10/TP ExpatSomchai
DME-DOH-SGN | I | £1255 return | qatarairways.com | 560 TPs | £2.25/TP |continentalclub
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point runs | 2013 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by gcuk
A couple of the Finnair A340s are a bit tired but I read somewhere they are refitting most the fleet with the flat beds they have on their A330s. I've flown them a few times. The big disappointment for me was their IFE, very old small screens on some aircraft.
I assume the "couple of the Finnair A340s" referred to here are the two ex-AF planes?

I'm reading these AY comments with interest as I have LHR-HEL-CKG and back coming up soon and the aircraft for both the China flights has recently changed to the A340 and I can tell from looking at the seatmaps online that they are the ex-AF birds too (which seem to get universal negative comments).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
They are the two ex-AF birds. Not a highlight but bearable for the price. The other plus is Helsinki's transit arrangement. Very easy, particulalry as LHR flights arrive and depart from the same section as the long haul flights. Off the plane and into the lounge in a mater of minutes.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by chiefwiggumpi
My membership year ends in Nov 2013. True i am not a frequent flyer at all we only fly for holidays which is usually about 3 times a year on average some more some less. Our patterns tend to be one med/long haul a year and couple or so european detsinations again.

As noted the benefits are a bit useless. The only "benefit" im hoping to use is to blag 64J/K on our r/t from New York at the start of April which im sure will go but so far hasnt....without paying for it.
Perhaps the Amex card with free CX Gold (OneWorld Sapphire) status would suit you better? Would get you lounge access as well.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by gcuk
They are the two ex-AF birds. Not a highlight but bearable for the price. The other plus is Helsinki's transit arrangement. Very easy, particulalry as LHR flights arrive and depart from the same section as the long haul flights. Off the plane and into the lounge in a mater of minutes.
The biggest problem with HEL is that they're trying to promote themselves as a new hub to get to Asia. All well and good, but as HEL is out of the way, they've had to use 60-90min transit times to avoid putting people off with too many extra hours of travel time.

The problem is that it only takes a slight delay (like the 50 min delay we had from SIN yesterday) and suddenly you've got a lot of people missing their connections. My transit time was 80 mins, and with a 50min delay I made it to the gate by the skin of my teeth. Now with a nice big 777 the pilot could make up some of those lost 50 mins on a 12hr flight, but with a fully laden A340 we were fighting just to stay on schedule.

Pay peanuts...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by heartstring
Hi,

I'm flying LHR-SCL in J on 7/4 and return 25/4 or 26/4. I was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions for routing (need to keep it under £4k if possible), to do a better TP run other than on AA via the US only? I've found LHR-aaa-bbb-MIA-SCL where aaa and bbb are any of JFK, MCO, TPA, ORD, DFW etc, and fares come out from £2,800 to £4k.

Can anyone come up with anything better or suggest a routing to try? Annoyingly my year ends 8/4 so the outbound isn't relevant (already requalified gold), but the 25/4 or 26/4 flights I want to get a head start on next years TPs!

Cheers!

Hi,

Sorry to bump this, just wondering if anyone had any clever ideas on how to maximise TPs between LHR and SCL? I'm currently thinking 140 + 60 + 60 + 140 e/w using AA... Any advance?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by nux
Perhaps the Amex card with free CX Gold (OneWorld Sapphire) status would suit you better? Would get you lounge access as well.
Thanks but a week too late just received my BA AMEX!! Oh well!!

To be honest its not the lounge access i need as we usually fly CE/CW or equivalent as part of our plans anyway so theyre always included...and weve even got full fare Y tickets from MAN - LHR and r/t from our France/US trip next month....lets see you argue with me then dragons
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
The biggest problem with HEL is that they're trying to promote themselves as a new hub to get to Asia. All well and good, but as HEL is out of the way, they've had to use 60-90min transit times to avoid putting people off with too many extra hours of travel time.

The problem is that it only takes a slight delay (like the 50 min delay we had from SIN yesterday) and suddenly you've got a lot of people missing their connections. My transit time was 80 mins, and with a 50min delay I made it to the gate by the skin of my teeth. Now with a nice big 777 the pilot could make up some of those lost 50 mins on a 12hr flight, but with a fully laden A340 we were fighting just to stay on schedule.

Pay peanuts...
I appreciate what youre saying like you say you get for what you pay for. For us a CE to HEL isnt that bad but then i factor in the MAN - LHR connection then - HEL - then SIN/BKK, then SYD and it all becomes a "flying" holiday....personally i would love it....Mrs C wouldnt

Just realised we could do a MAN - HEL direct on AY...now that might be worth it?!

Last edited by chiefwiggumpi; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Oh it was mega cheap. In the region of £1500 for AMS-HEL-SIN-SYD-SIN-HEL-BRU.

At that price, it's a no brainer, but it just can't hold a candle to BA/QR/EK/LH/CX/pretty much any other. Sloping lie flat bed is at a really acute angle making sleep difficult. Food is served on one tray like in Y and isn't particularly noteworthy. Service is a little shoddy. Generally just comes across very poorly, especially after just stepping off a BA flight.
I can see what youre saying for £1500 that is great value if you work it plus TP's....thats where i might be tempted between the QF offering in PE.....if its good price but when ive been looking its still £6k......just discovered RTW BA tickets in J so that might be an option aswell...yes i understand the routings and conditions but for the prices i found on one website they were amazing value.....again for us would be an option sightseeing places en route aswell as seeing family (luckily i have one cousin in LA and one in NYC!)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by chiefwiggumpi
I appreciate what youre saying like you say you get for what you pay for. For us a CE to HEL isnt that bad but then i factor in the MAN - LHR connection then - HEL - then SIN/BKK, then SYD and it all becomes a "flying" holiday....personally i would love it....Mrs C wouldnt

Just realised we could do a MAN - HEL direct on AY...now that might be worth it?!
Well, there is AY J ex-WAW to SYD/BNE going for 2760€ ai. Can connect to BA and/or to QF at SIN, also CX connection available at HKG. Just booked few days ago to BNE, fare runs to Jan2014 at least.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by temppa
Well, there is AY J ex-WAW to SYD/BNE going for 2760€ ai. Can connect to BA and/or to QF at SIN, also CX connection available at HKG. Just booked few days ago to BNE, fare runs to Jan2014 at least.
Thats great thanks for that tip!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Stupid Question Warning - Apologies In Advance..

Re: SJU-MIA-LAX-HNL | I/P/A | £755 return | aa.com | 920 TPs

Would I be right in saying that if I did this then the 920 TPs I get with AA would get me Silver status with BA if I am currently only Blue?
and
Would I also be right in saying that as it's marked as £755 Return then I'll actually need to do SJU-MIA-LAX-HNL-LAX-MIA-SJU?

If the answer to both is yes, then do I just use me BAEC number when booking with AA? Or do I have to book these flights through BA?

Again, sorry for what might be a really stupid question, but I've only just got my head around all this Avios thing, let alone Tier Points.

Last edited by Steve Oh; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:30 am
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Stupid Question Warning - Apologies In Advance..

Re: SJU-MIA-LAX-HNL | I/P/A | £755 return | aa.com | 920 TPs

Would I be right in saying that if I did this then the 920 TPs I get with AA would get me Silver status with BA if I am currently only Bronze?
and
Would I also be right in saying that as it's marked as £755 Return then I'll actually need to do SJU-MIA-LAX-HNL-LAX-MIA-SJU?

If the answer to both is yes, then do I just use me BAEC number when booking with AA? Or do I have to book these flights through BA?

Again, sorry for what might be a really stupid question, but I've only just got my head around all this Avios thing, let alone Tier Points.

Hi, I am no expert to answer all your question, but I do know you only need a total of 600 TP to get from Bronze to Silver, as I too am bronze and nearly at silver. If you get to 1500 TP you will hit Gold.
I am sure others will be able to answer the rest of your question.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
My mistake - meant to say I'm only Blue.

Post edited - sorry
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
And sorry for the newbie pileon, but how do you find dates when those flights are avail at that price? I can only find for $2200USD.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / TK e+
Originally Posted by kellytoronto
And sorry for the newbie pileon, but how do you find dates when those flights are avail at that price? I can only find for $2200USD.
OUR GOOD FRIEND: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.