Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RANT: BA Experience at T1 to DUB-Shabby!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It's only a nice waiting room. Not worth getting too worked up over, and even GBL isn't that nice (although it's nice enough, it's not as if there is a spa inside or anything).
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
This route is transferring to T5 soon and then none of this will be a problem, surely.
Is this definite? I thought it was just a rumour and one that seemed unlikely because of the awkwardness of dealing with Irish arrivals unless T5 had already been designed for the possibility.

When arriving from Ireland you're supposed to pass through customs but not immigration. Although when arriving into T1 last time 'customs' was just a phone on the wall - but they have a different reclaim belt to the true domestics so customs officers can easily monitor it if required.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by antichef
.... 38 posts and nobody said that the lounge has soup too? You want more?
There's soup, (delicious) cake, crisps, cheese (not great cheese I'll give), nuts, cookies, shortbread, fruit and olives. I really don't see what's missing here (and indeed the only other thing that you'd get upstairs outside of breakfast time is some fairly poor sandwiches). In the mornings theres also Pains au Chocolats, a fairly decent cereal selection and porridge.
It's a one hour flight leaving from a terminal which is going to be demolished in 18 months which BA didn't plan to be in. At least you're in the lounge! I (and I'm sure others here) used to have to kill hours and hours in Gate 8 (or even worse Gate 5) without lounge access with only a Costa Coffee and WH Smith for entertainment.
It's not Galleries First and it's never going to be but with the exception of the lack of showers and poor wine selection it's pretty much what BA used to offer to those flying domestically (or common travel area-...ly) before Terminal 5.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Edited to add: I stuffed up the quote below - apols (bloody app, grr)

Incidentally, my MMB screen for a LHR-DUB (BA flight number) in October says

Flight BA8134 to Dublin on Fri XX Oct 2012 17:00
Lounges

The Great British Lounge

Catch up on work before you travel, enjoy a snack or simply unwind in a relaxing area away from the busy airport environment.
The plot thickens![/QUOTE]

Tried using a printout of that to get into GBL a month of two ago - didn't work, but said they'd flag problem....

Last edited by lorcancoyle; Aug 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by sigma421
In the mornings theres also Pains au Chocolats, a fairly decent cereal selection and porridge.
Breakfast offering is woeful - the pain au chocolat are about a 1 in 3 chance based on recent experience. Not even something as basic as toast available... Given the GBL issue isn't security I fail to see why food offering isn't aligned
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Breakfast offering is woeful - the pain au chocolat are about a 1 in 3 chance based on recent experience. Not even something as basic as toast available... Given the GBL issue isn't security I fail to see why food offering isn't aligned
Breakfast offering was weak even at GBL anyway.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:24 pm

I would rather eat any breakfast item available in the London Room, instead of those vile bacon rocks currently available in T5 Galleries Club.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So you're complaining about being denied access to a lounge you weren't entitled to be in? The Republic of Ireland is classified as domestic for passport and immigration purposes, so you are treated as a domestic passenger for the purposes of access to the BD lounges in T1 (as it operates differently to T5 in terms of separation of passengers). The (mostly) ladies in the BD lounge upstairs are generally recognised as being amongst the most helpful anywhere, so I'd personally be surprised if they spoke to you rudely at all, unless of course you tried to make a little too much fuss in claiming a non-existent entitlement ...
^

Why are people assuming this is BA/bmi's fault? As I understood it, the policy had more to do with BAA than BD. No point getting into a hissyfit with the lounge ladies

Originally Posted by Habemuspapam
BA and OW rules ENTITLE me to access any lounge except the CCR regardless of travel class and destination. Period. BA owns BMI. This is not a code share. BMI needs to follow BA and OW rules, and accept their demise.
When T1 had separate Domestic/Ireland and International areas, you couldn't use the International lounge when flying domestically, and vice versa. What's the difference now?

It's a 1 hour flight, for which the average economy fare pre-tax/surchage is probably sub-£50. What do you expect? Virgin Clubhouse? Booze and crisps is plenty - why are you turning up at the airport early enough to do anything else anyway?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
The point, folks, is consistency.

When an airline advertises certain privileges at certain elite tiers, one shouldn't have to guess and research every eventuality. Being denied access to what amounts to a J+ lounge as a GCH just isn't acceptable. It's not arrogance, it is an earned privilege, and being made to feel second class with that amount of spend is simply crap.

Rant over. Had two lovely flights today with great crews. I'll dwell on that for awhile.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have to brave the T1 outpost more frequently than I would like because - to answer kt74 - I need to connect through a European hub to travel to most long haul destinations from Ireland, and that hub is usually LHR for me. So while I wouldn't be fussed about a lounge in advance of a short hop from London, a pleasant lounge would be very welcome when I have to hang around for a connection after getting off an overnight long haul flight.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Shanagarry
I have to brave the T1 outpost more frequently than I would like because - to answer kt74 - I need to connect through a European hub to travel to most long haul destinations from Ireland, and that hub is usually LHR for me. So while I wouldn't be fussed about a lounge in advance of a short hop from London, a pleasant lounge would be very welcome when I have to hang around for a connection after getting off an overnight long haul flight.
In that instance (as you have to clear immigration and pass through security at LHR anyway) I'd spend some time in the T5 arrivals lounge. There's a decent breakfast buffet and plenty of showers. You can then get the free HEX train to T1 closer to departure, you can then just spend a short amount of time in the London Room.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Some people are never satisfied. For years people complained that BA didn't fly to Dublin, now that they do, more complaints! Do people really expect the transition from BMI to BA to happen overnight, with BA T5 style lounges suddenly popping up at T1? All of this fuss for a one hour domestic flight....
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I am off to DUB this afternoon and fully expecting the 'full' BA domestic T1 poor experience!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by layz
In that instance (as you have to clear immigration and pass through security at LHR anyway) I'd spend some time in the T5 arrivals lounge.
Only if he/she travel CW or F which they may well, but we don't know that...
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by matthandy
Some people are never satisfied. For years people complained that BA didn't fly to Dublin, now that they do, more complaints! Do people really expect the transition from BMI to BA to happen overnight, with BA T5 style lounges suddenly popping up at T1? All of this fuss for a one hour domestic flight....
Exactly, and it's not as if it's a dire lounge with absolutely nothing but water and beer.

Maybe some people haven't been to some of the 'worse' lounges and have their expectations too high?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.