Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RANT: BA Experience at T1 to DUB-Shabby!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:37 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
Moreover, for an upcoming LHR-DUB, MMB directs me as follows:

After Check In
The Great British Lounge
Catch up on work before you travel, enjoy a snack or simply unwind in a relaxing area away from the busy airport environment.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by paulwuk
If it's for "security" reasons .... [snip]
saving us all a 10 minute trudge around the mazes....
Of course it isn't for security reasons, as you have correctly noted it is for shopping reasons!!

Where we used to enter direct into the domestic area is now the staff access, as they don't need to get a run past the shops to get to work as they are not buying.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by antichef
.... 38 posts and nobody said that the lounge has soup too? You want more?
With some bread rolls to accompany the soup, or to cobble together a cheese sandwich with
Not forgetting a cake (on a cake stand, too) in the afternoons. Its basically all you need for the Teddy Bear's picnic...

But essentially while it served many of us well while travelling domestically for several years, I agree that with the footfall pressure on the GBL reduced following *A withdrawal, its time we were allowed into the 'nice' lounge. It must be mostly empty. As one whose regular BHD route isn't getting moved to T5, that's a plea!!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Habemuspapam
BA and OW rules ENTITLE me to access any lounge except the CCR regardless of travel class and destination. Period. BA owns BMI. This is not a code share. BMI needs to follow BA and OW rules, and accept their demise.
That's all very well, but the Great British Lounge is not a oneworld lounge. Nor is the London Room, but I'm complicating matters. They are both BMI lounges which currently deign to allow BA clunk to come in, provided they behave themselves.

You missed the soup and huge slices of cake round the back. Kindly destroy that Emirates style mirror while you're there. And remove the heating system.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
.... I agree that with the footfall pressure on the GBL reduced following *A withdrawal, its time we were allowed into the 'nice' lounge. It must be mostly empty. As one whose regular BHD route isn't getting moved to T5, that's a plea!!
I'm afraid its not! I have been commuting through it weekly for a few months now and using it (mainly on Sunday, but occasonally midweek) and it has been bunged. I have been flying to LCA with A3 and it uses the GBL too.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's all very well, but the Great British Lounge is not a oneworld lounge. Nor is the London Room, but I'm complicating matters. They are both BMI lounges which currently deign to allow BA clunk to come in, provided they behave themselves.

You missed the soup and huge slices of cake round the back. Kindly destroy that Emirates style mirror while you're there. And remove the heating system.
Read my post a few posts up. BA.com says that OWS and OWE are admitted to both the GBL and TLR when flying on BA, as per the rules (BA being the only OW carrier in T1).
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:55 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I don't care whether it is Common Travel Area or not. You go on BA domestic flights out of T5 or LGW North right alongside International flights and use the same Lounge? This sounds like BMI idiosyncrasy to me

Now I think that life is far too short to fuss over Lounges but the OP has a point. Still the take over is still in progress so let's be patient and see what they eventually do. When I go to Nice through T1 I find the Lounge very passee with its cheap brands of everything but fortunately we run those NCE flights so a proper bar as opposed to the one that reminded me of the charters but which at least has big bottles of wine which was since touch

I cringe at the utterance of T3 and their singular interpretation of the security rules regarding freezer bags. No T1 could be far far worse. Just.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by antichef
I'm afraid its not! I have been commuting through it weekly for a few months now and using it (mainly on Sunday, but occasonally midweek) and it has been bunged. I have been flying to LCA with A3 and it uses the GBL too.

...maybe they could find a way squeeze in pax from just a few more flights... mostly BHD pax...
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Read my post a few posts up. BA.com says that OWS and OWE are admitted to both the GBL and TLR when flying on BA, as per the rules (BA being the only OW carrier in T1).
Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. The lounge staff say they are not a oneworld lounge, and the panel outside the doors does not have the oneworld symbol either. Now I know there are never errors on ba.com......

Other oneworld airlines do similar things, declassifying lounges, viz: Air Berlin.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:43 pm

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. The lounge staff say they are not a oneworld lounge, and the panel outside the doors does not have the oneworld symbol either. Now I know there are never errors on ba.com......

Other oneworld airlines do similar things, declassifying lounges, viz: Air Berlin.
Well, BA are handing these out at DUB: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19057637-post84.html (note OW privileges)

And I am sure I saw a photo with the OW lozenges added outside the GBL.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:46 pm

This is DUB
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:52 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
My god. The arrogance from the OP is shocking.

All those years as a loyal bmi customer, and to think I was just a common pleb having to settle for the London Room, rather than the GBL.

Get over yourself.

Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I agree there is no logical reason to deny pax the choice between the London Room and the Great British Lounge, as long as domestic/DUB pax at the GBL are told to make sure they take extra time to get to their flight through the photo checkpoint and the Irish mile, if applicable.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:10 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by BahrainLad

Well, BA are handing these out at DUB: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19057637-post84.html (note OW privileges)

And I am sure I saw a photo with the OW lozenges added outside the GBL.
Likewise, I'm pretty sure the OW "lozenges" (love it!) are on the banner outside the London Room. I can't say not getting in the GBL has, or does currently bother me that much. The increasing lines at the CTA photo matching debacle otoh are starting to get on my wick. Fully support suggestion above to redesignate the staff channel back to pax. Of course that would reduce BAA shopping footfall...
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Is this lounge not the lounge you would have been using if this was still a bmi flight?! So how can it be shabby of BA to use it!

This route is transferring to T5 soon and then none of this will be a problem, surely.

I am sure that the lounges will all get revamped at some point in the near future but I think some of you underestimate what a huge task this amalgamation of services, lounges, aircraft, crews etc.etc. is!

Personaly I am impressed at how well it is being done considering how complicated it all is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.