Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long queues at T5 border control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Long queues at T5 border control

As for retaining IRIS . I can see the logic but feel it is a bit like re arranging the deck chair on the Titanic.

A much more considered strategy is required , including investment in technology.

In the meantime emergency measures are required now to provide border service that is fit for purpose.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just got 10 people that I know to sign it
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
Went through T5 at midday today and the queue was flowing very fast, barely stopped even with a large amount of pax arriving. Every desk was maned and even with a smile.

As we slate them when they are slow I feel a good word should be said when they put the effort in. Good job.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I am genuinely dreading travelling to the UK in July and August, and unfortunately have at least one trip back to the motherland booked, but have chosen to head to Manchester hoping it'll be a little quieter.

The whole situation with Iris is depressing, and I just think its going to be a complete mess.

When they talk about setting up ANOTHER airport in London I think they are mad. Why not take somewhere like Doncaster, put a highspeed non stop link into London with baggage drop station before boarding in Kings Cross, and develop the airport with all the space around it. Generating some money where its needed.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sadly, Doncaster is unlikely to ever be a BA hub. We could all argue for a major BA terminal near where we live, but BA lives on the "big plan" where Doncaster is unlikely to feature.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: ABBA
If you were going to build an airport + HS rail you'd choose Birmingham, which already has both, as well as good connections to the rest of the country.

However it's too far from London by road, it would be like landing in PHL to go to New York, or SAN to go to LA.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by binman
The border force ( don't you just love the new beefed up title) are quoted as saying
I think you may have introduced a typo.. Border Farce is what it is now called.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:37 pm

T5on Sunday evening

Came through at 17.30. Shocking queues - felt embarrassed when I saw the length if the non-EU queue. I couldn't see how many stations were open but didn't see much movement at all.

The EU queue was also very long - as we joined it I asked about the automatic gates and was told they had just closed. As the queue moved ( reasonably quickly) I kept an eye on the gates and luckily they re-opened and we were able to duck under the tape and go through before everyone realised!

I'm not sure who to complain to about the non-eu queue but I will be complaining - absolute disgrace.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Louisebook....
[email protected]

I understand that the Government says that it has no money and that there are lots of worthy causes..... BUT BUT !!!
And as I have previously posted, we each pay around £120 in tax (on a trip to the states) on an airline ticket.... it isn't about the UKBA knowing when flights arrive etc etc.

It is about not apportioning enough of the money that we pay in APD to finance an immigration service / border agency that is fit for purpose and doesn't leave people in line for hours......
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
T5 this evening: lots of barriers sending us on a zigzag but when we reached the border: long queue for EU but no queue at all for Iris: long live Iris!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
I understand that the Government says that it has no money and that there are lots of worthy causes..... BUT BUT !!!
BUT BUT... Exactly... not good enough by a long chalk.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:13 pm

Thanks SkipCool3. Email complaint sent.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BERbound
E-passport does not work for me on a passport issued about 2 years ago. After my latest failed attempt I asked if it was ever likely to work. She said no as I've got a very common surname, and it caused e-passport problems!

Make of that what you will!
Do you mean using a biometric passport to go through the automatic turnstiles? If so, I'm not sure where your member of staff got that info from - names have nothing to do with the process. More likely to be a dodgy chip or a poor photo issue.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
My last experience at T5 and horror stories in this thread are making me seriously think about flying LX into T1, where at least I have never had any serious lines. On top of that security at T1 on the return flight was queueless and very courteous and friendly.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Just wait until the Olympic crowd arrives...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.