Search

Long queues at T5 border control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Long queues at T5 border control

Just had a message from my brother, who arrived off BA206 in F

"Just landed but still queuing for border control and have been 1hr 15m already - absolute farce! They have no idea what they're doing and queues are backing up fast"

I guess people are arriving back at the end of the Easter holidays but even so..... Anyone else seeing similar today?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Can I encourage people with smartphones to post pictures of the queues, ideally with a date/time stamp.

Ta.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
Originally Posted by David_Doyle

"Just landed but still queuing for border control and have been 1hr 15m already - absolute farce! They have no idea what they're doing and queues are backing up fast"

I guess people are arriving back at the end of the Easter holidays but even so..... Anyone else seeing similar today?
Oh great. I'm due to land at this evening 19:15 and have dinner in the WE at 20:30.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
According to a couple of my colleagues there have been a few periods in the last few days where UKBA waiting times have been quite lengthy. I choose to fly from AMS to LPL on easyJet on Wednesday and from leaving the plane to sitting in my car was just 9 minutes - that was a first!

My colleague who went to LHR from AMS wasn't so lucky ...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:34 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold
Thanks. Normally just carry baby in my arms but I will fish the carrier out of the suitcase before I check in in a couple of mins. Might try and keep pushchair with me if there's space.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Londonflyer
Oh great. I'm due to land at this evening 19:15 and have dinner in the WE at 20:30.
20:30 tomorrow, and you may just make it
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Londonflyer
Remember that at the moment we are still in the morning arrivals bank for LHR.

All the USA flights and many from other places have been arriving in the past couple of hours.

And following easter this will be peak of the peak time for UK Border.

Probably by 19:15 it will have calmed down!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:56 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I arrived into T3 at 7pm on Tuesday and there was not a soul at Border Control (other than staff of course!). There are peaks and troughs, sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by David_Doyle
What difference does the class of travel (F in this case) make once the passenger is off the plane and caught up in the general stampede towards immigration control?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by 45128
What difference does the class of travel (F in this case) make once the passenger is off the plane and caught up in the general stampede towards immigration control?
Poor show though when someone's spent £10k on a ticket to avoid the hassle of travel, you'd think that BA could provide a private transfer to a private immigration area.

There's the fast-track immigration line for non-EUs, and ever-dependable Iris, but if the queues are back to the lifts you presumably can't get to them even if they were working
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 45128
Well if the OP's brother is a non-EU citizen they should be able to use the fast-track if they are in F.
The class of travel also makes a difference how quickly you get off the plane, so the people in WT on this flight would have had an even longer wait at imigration! (Unless you run to immigration past the other PAX)
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:08 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Just came through T3 off the BA699 and got through the EU lanes in about 5 minutes. But I was talking to one of the girls that marshalls the queues and she said between 05:00 and 06:30 this morning the non-EU lanes had typical waits of around 2hrs 30mins.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
There was the same yesterday afternoon, arrived 3pm and directed 300M down to the end of the que.
About 30-40mins just to be allowed in to the arrivals area, thankfully IRIS was on and only 2 people waiting. No idea how much time it was taking to get through the passport checks.

I will be sad when IRIS is turned off, just so easy to use.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, BA Gold
I landed at 6:30 am into T5 and the queue was out of the hall where the immigration staff sit and down to the end of the terminal. 45 minutes later when I eventually got to the border hall entrance the queue was already doubled back on it'self. The wait must have been well over an hour from there.

The reason...only 4 desks open for EU passport holders, plus one for rejected e-passports! We've had over a week of hype about this in the press, how can the UK border agency not work out that this weekend would be just as busy and actually put staff on the desks?

Good luck to anyone arriving later today. I'll try and download the pics from my phone in a bit
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Poor show though when someone's spent £10k on a ticket to avoid the hassle of travel, you'd think that BA could provide a private transfer to a private immigration area.
Originally Posted by britbronco22
The class of travel also makes a difference how quickly you get off the plane, so the people in WT on this flight would have had an even longer wait at imigration! (Unless you run to immigration past the other PAX)
I am with paulwuk on this. BA should pay for construction of a special immigration channel for F passengers at T5.

If travelling in F I do not see why you should have to dash to be first off the plane. You should instead be able to linger a bit, sorting out your cabin baggage and getting your bits and pieces together after landing rather than before. But immigration pressures prevent this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.