Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long queues at T5 border control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
One could argue that under (a) the holder of the passport is free to enter. It can be proved to any official without having to queue.

Not that I'm prepared to test that, of course.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
On a related note, does a UK Border Force officer have the right to question a British Citizen as they enter the UK?

I once found myself being subjected to a barrage of questions about where I had been and what I had been doing. This was at 0600, after I had had a nightmare journey back from Canada and been up for something like 36 hours straight. In a somewhat idiotic fit of pique, I refused to answer any of these questions on the grounds that they were academic as she couldn't deny me entry anyway. I was let through without another word.

I'll freely admit that in hindsight, even though my mind was clouded by a severe lack of sleep, this was a reasonably stupid thing to do and the immigration officer could probably have made my life fairly unpleasant had she wanted to do so, but was I technically within my rights to refuse to answer questions about my activities outside the country? These, incidentally, were entirely non-nefarious as I'd been at a conference and visiting friends.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by T8191
One could argue that under (a) the holder of the passport is free to enter. It can be proved to any official without having to queue.

Agreed

I mean presumably there must be some penalty for failure to submit to the required examination, irrespective of whether one is free of control or not. Maybe one of the current/past Immigration Officers who contribute to FT can enlighten us?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by speedbird66
On a related note, does a UK Border Force officer have the right to question a British Citizen as they enter the UK?

I once found myself being subjected to a barrage of questions about where I had been and what I had been doing. This was at 0600, after I have hada nightmare journey back from Canada and been up for something like 36 hours straight. In a somewhat idiotic fit of pique, I refused to answer any of these questions on the ground that they were academic as she couldn't deny me entry anyway. I was let through without another word.

I'll freely admit that in hindsight, even though my mind was clouded by a severe lack of sleep, this was a reasonably stupid thing to do and the immigration officer could probably have made my life fairly unpleasant had she wanted to do so, but was I technically within my rights to refuse to answer questions about my activities outside the country (which, incidentally, were entirely non-nefarious as I'd been at a conference and visiting friends)?
This bothers me too - presumably once one's status as a British Citizen has been established (via a valid UK passport in one's name) then one has the right to proceed without further ado?

I posted a thread elsewhere the other day (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ort-pages.html) about IOs at MAN seeming to having taken to snooping through the pages/stamps of my British passport of late after scanning the data page. I find this somewhat annoying as mentioned in the thread, but as you said it is probably wise not to make too much of an issue of it for fear, rightly or wrongly, of considerably extending the time taken to pass Border Control .

Last edited by SteelCityBoy; Apr 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy
This bothers me too - presumably once one's status as a British Citizen has been established (via a valid UK passport in one's name) then one has the right to proceed without further ado?
On further investigation - this is lifted from Wikipedia, so take it with the requisite pinch of salt, but it appears that the great catch-all of terrorism may give UKBA officers an excuse to grill you whether or not they have reasonable grounds, and whether or not you are a citizen. This is despite the fact that the Immigration Act 1971 apparently (according to the same Wikipedia entry) does not give them powers to detain British Citizens:

From Wikipedia:
However, Immigration Officers also have far broader powers under the Terrorism Act 2000 to examine, question, and search anyone in order to establish whether or not they appear to be or have been concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.[9] A person may be detained under Schedule 7 for up to 9 hours.[10] The Immigration Officer need not have reasonable suspicion that the detainee has in fact been involved in terrorism.[11] The detainee has a duty to provide the Immigration Officer with all information requested and a failure to do so constitutes an offence, punishable by 3 months imprisonment and a fine.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ahhh … that factor. i shell shave my beard and ask the iWife to stop wearing her [item of ethnic clothing].

Otherwise, as a pair of perfectly ordinary white Anglo-Saxons of British ancestry with British passports … and with loads of time to make the connecting flight from LGW … they'd better have some bloody good reason for imputing terrorism.

We are gently drifting into a Police State, aren't we? As ex-Military, I fully understand the rationale. I just question [deeply] the quality and training of the people who are acting as the first line of defence. And, of course, the number of them provided to carry out this vital task in the National Interest. [/RANT]
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
Originally Posted by T8191

That sounds right in principle but I guess there are ppl with fake passports (or having somone elses!) so there has to be some sort of checking process
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others

I'll freely admit that in hindsight, even though my mind was clouded by a severe lack of sleep, this was a reasonably stupid thing to do and the immigration officer could probably have made my life fairly unpleasant had she wanted to do so, but was I technically within my rights to refuse to answer questions about my activities outside the country? These, incidentally, were entirely non-nefarious as I'd been at a conference and visiting friends.
Interesting, you're right she could have made your life very uncomfortable (add plastic glove going on hand sound) or added something nasty to your record on the customs database (eg uncooperative, abusive etc). Well done for doing it though!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:19 pm

Uncooperative - yes. Abusive - no; I was icily polite in declining to answer

Perhaps if it happens again I should ask under what legislation I am being questioned...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:29 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Came through T1 today at around 19:30 and the EU lanes were virtually queue free. Looked about 40 people in the non-EU lanes with 6 desks open.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:39 pm

I once found myself being subjected to a barrage of questions about where I had been and what I had been doing. This was at 0600, after I had had a nightmare journey back from Canada and been up for something like 36 hours straight. In a somewhat idiotic fit of pique, I refused to answer any of these questions on the grounds that they were academic as she couldn't deny me entry anyway. I was let through without another word.

Do you have Pakistani parentage?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:47 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by EK029
Do you have Pakistani parentage?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Gordon Brown made this mess when he merged the Inland Revenue with H.M. Customs & Excise, and then moved the Uniformed part of Customs to form up with parts of the immigration service to form this UKBA monster.

A lot of re-arranging and meddling to no good end.

A UKBA officer can also use CEMA 1979, a powerful piece of legislation that empowers Officers to ask about your baggage, declaration, etc.

So an Officer is empowered to ask where are you arriving from, if you have visited other countries, if baggage belongs to you, if you have been given anything by anybody else, etc, etc.

As a yacht skipper I sometimes arrive on what the UKBA might term as "High Risk" flights (Caribbean etc) and have been questioned many times, often fairly lengthy, but I have never felt the Officer has over-stepped the mark, they have just been trying to confirm my credibility, ownership of baggage etc.....
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by vla
Well. At least they'll look just great!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...w-uniform.html

"The UK Border Agency...has decided to issue staff with a new uniform which unions estimate will cost £2.5 million."

"It is estimated that the money being used for the uniforms could pay for 800 immigration officers"

800 immigration officers @ £3125 each! Quality reporting from the Torygraph
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
The queues this evening at the mOment are over 1h30

I am fighting to make a formal complaint

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.