Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long queues at T5 border control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: my wings are gold
Still nothing is as bad as the FOUR HOURS I stood waiting at immigration in MIAMI (back in January )
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chris C
APD is no more for funding the UK Borders than the Road Fund Licence is for funding roads. Both a just a form a taxation for the general use of UK plc

[PEDANT WARNING]
No one in the United Kingdom has paid into a "Road Fund" since 1936.

What UK vehicle drivers/owners pay, on an annual basis, for each vehicle is "Vehicle Excise Duty".

Just read the wording on the disc!
[/PEDANT WARNING]
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:56 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
The Grauniad weighs in:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ls-human-touch
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
My best arrival ever into T5 remains the day the useless UKBA were on strike last year
That would be at the end of November? When I went to check in online for a flight arriving back that day, ba.com was advising against travel even going so far as to offer refunds, which I took to be a sign that things would be really bad. I delayed my return for two days, and took the opportunity to spend an extra two days in Miami Beach, but it cost a fair bit - the hotels were almost full with the start of Art Basel.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by 45128

That makes two and one half hours flying time, which rather negates your assertion quoted above.
Ah! Now you have an inkling of what life is like for foreigners trying to get through United States immigration queues.

But - unlike the rude and crass US immigration clerks - you, at least, got an apology from their British counterparts.
Hyperbole not in your vocab.

As for USA I share your critique but there are at least 2 dozen international airports and some (MIA & IAD) are far worse than others (HOU & PHX). There are FTers who avoid transiting US due to this issue and I don't blame them. Similarly I will avoid BA at LHR.

If not fixed before Olympics I think the media reports will not be too good - journos have to wait as well.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
More reporting of T5 border delays..
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/t...s-7670113.html

"passengers from outside Europe were facing daily hold-ups of “four to five” hours because of a shortage of staff." GASP!

Blimey charlie... the current situation is enough to make me avoid T5 for my next trip. I'm astonished that there isn't some transparency and responsibility for this.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
I have written to the Exec Club (GGL) about this as they need to be aware that their premium passengers are having their journeys ruined in some cases by the horrendous queues at T5 at some times of the day. I feel that they should be pushing BAA hard for improvements to the immigration hall and a fast track for premium EU passengers. To date I have not yet had a response as I suspect that this may have gone in the "too hard to answer" box but I will push for a response.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think BA may be painfully aware of the implications of the chaos on their business- Willie Walsh complaining bitterly about it in today's Evening Standard...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/t...m-7681626.html
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Are the border staff going out on this supposed strike day on the 10th May?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cggirl
I think BA may be painfully aware of the implications of the chaos on their business- Willie Walsh complaining bitterly about it in today's Evening Standard...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/t...m-7681626.html
I'm pleased that WW is championing this.

The situation has been dire in recent months and for those of us who travel every week and who try to plan when we will be available for business or personal appointments in the UK, it's been nigh on impossible to do so without adding a 2 hour window. Today is a perfect example - I am having to take a flight more than 2 hours earlier than I would normally do in order to ensure I will be home on time for Mrs TT1F to do what she has to do this evening. Normally this wouldn't even figure in my thoughts. Result - I bill 2 hours less to my client, meaning my company loses money.

If there is a problem with the BA service, there are at least people at T5 to talk to. If there's a problem with BAA, again, there are people to talk to. With the UKBA or Border Force or whichever is their current name, it's easy to feel you don't have a voice or a channel of complaint. Maybe WW could be our knight in shining armour...

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Apr 26, 2012 at 5:56 am
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:55 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Well. At least they'll look just great!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...w-uniform.html

Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Border Agency call the police - someone, anyone - but by now things are out of all control and tens if not hundreds of people are streaming through unchecked.
Baggage claim exit doors get sealed. Now what.

Big implications for those who would do such a thing. Or is there?
Interesting. What would you be charged with (assuming you're a UK citizen)?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Baggage claim exit doors get sealed. Now what.
Interesting. What would you be charged with (assuming you're a UK citizen)?
Yes I imagine they would seal off the airport and then go through everyone's immigration check again.

There are probably laws about walking straight through immigration without proper clearance regardless if youre a UK citizen.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
I am certainly not going to attempt to travel during the Olympics at this rate - apart from frustration at my own delays I would just feel embarassed for my country!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by funkyr
Yes I imagine they would seal off the airport and then go through everyone's immigration check again.
And where would they get the numbers of staff from to be able to do such a thing?

Yes, it could be done. But the PR implications of such a thing occurring would be massive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.