Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

August so much better than July [Club world catering]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August so much better than July [Club world catering]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
Well yes you have a point about the snacks. I hadn't thought about the DIY option I quite like pistachios and also twiglets (but no one ever has those) so perhaps I should bring my own.
I'll second you on the twiglets ^ Just tucking into a large tub now (BOGOF at Waitrose). Mmmmmm
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:41 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
How on earth do you overdo Pasta - was it not al dente? I note that you were coming back from somewhere that I rate very highly for the catering.

Cheese is always a tricky one - I love it but usually only eat it out of London,
I made an error, I should have put CUN not CAN.

The pasta was definately not al dente, it was taglietelle that I ordered and it was stuck together and hard in places, not particularly easy to cut and no way could it be twirled around on a fork/spoon, very disappointing.
On a more positive note, hubby & daughter had the chicken & beef dishes and were very pleased.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If it is really about product differentiation then my advice would be to do it with something that matters not a frigging early grey tea bag or some hot chocolate it looks cheap and miserly. For £3k return you should not be fussing about a 10p beverage.
Agree, it's frustrating. A while back I was flying with the family in CW out to BGI, asked for a glass of the champers that they had in F as I quite liked it at the time (think it was Lanson Nobel time...). Was refused instantly and told the CSD wouldn't allow the 'brand dilution'. I get it but when you're sitting there with a gold card and an obvious familiarity with the current F menu (ie probably a high yield customer) it's slightly irritating, not a biggie but an easy way you could be made to feel a bit special.

Having said that I've another example of a cc member who got myself and a collegue (both gold) a glass each of nice wine from F when the red we had in CW ran out. Seems crew dependent but that crew made us both feel identified as valued customers
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by stueys
Agree, it's frustrating. A while back I was flying with the family in CW out to BGI, asked for a glass of the champers that they had in F as I quite liked it at the time (think it was Lanson Nobel time...). Was refused instantly and told the CSD wouldn't allow the 'brand dilution'. I get it but when you're sitting there with a gold card and an obvious familiarity with the current F menu (ie probably a high yield customer) it's slightly irritating, not a biggie but an easy way you could be made to feel a bit special.

Having said that I've another example of a cc member who got myself and a collegue (both gold) a glass each of nice wine from F when the red we had in CW ran out. Seems crew dependent but that crew made us both feel identified as valued customers
Agree it's frustrating but you have to see it from the CC's side too. It is brand dilution in BA's eyes and it is strictly against service standards. You could have got to Gold by travelling exclusively in CW or indeed WT+.

Hot Choc is available in CW on sleeper services only.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
If it is really about product differentiation then my advice would be to do it with something that matters not a frigging early grey tea bag or some hot chocolate it looks cheap and miserly. For £3k return you should not be fussing about a 10p beverage.
Here here
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tom139
Agree it's frustrating but you have to see it from the CC's side too. It is brand dilution in BA's eyes and it is strictly against service standards. You could have got to Gold by travelling exclusively in CW or indeed WT+.

I agree.

A line has to be drawn somewhere. After you've had your Earl Grey and better brand fizz you'll be wanting the cabin crew to smuggle out the box of F chocolates next.
Do it for one and you then run the risk of the whole CW cabin wanting a wee something extra.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver
had the hotchocolate and cookies on the BA296 from ORD last week - it really wasnt worth waiting for - watery and tasteless
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:00 am

Yep, I get it, but I think it's a bit of an opportunity lost. It's one of the relatively minor things that could be left to crews discretion to really make a pax feel a bit special.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:43 am

But when does 'discretion' just turn into offering it to everyone who asks? And then if other pax sees/smells the hot chocolate, will they then ask for it and also get it? If crew then say NO to the other pax, then they are left wondering why other pax get special treatment. E.g. did they not fork over the same thousands of pounds for the seat?

In this situation, one person getting special treatment could turn into three or four others feeling let down.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Exec (Silver), SPG (corporate), IHG
Originally Posted by stueys
Agree, it's frustrating. A while back I was flying with the family in CW out to BGI, asked for a glass of the champers that they had in F as I quite liked it at the time (think it was Lanson Nobel time...). Was refused instantly and told the CSD wouldn't allow the 'brand dilution'. I get it but when you're sitting there with a gold card and an obvious familiarity with the current F menu (ie probably a high yield customer) it's slightly irritating, not a biggie but an easy way you could be made to feel a bit special
equally how would you feel if you were sitting in F and watched your precious choice of bubbles being taken to another cabin, or heaven forbid they ran out in F because some had been used in Club, brand differentiation is there for a reason, regardless of status!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jumpseat_jock
equally how would you feel if you were sitting in F and watched your precious choice of bubbles being taken to another cabin, or heaven forbid they ran out in F because some had been used in Club, brand differentiation is there for a reason, regardless of status!
Hmm, good point, that would put a dent in things. I'm gracefully withdrawing my occassional sense of frustration
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

I agree too. I think that 'unofficial benefits' are lovely when they come but should never be expected. I also know for sure that if I were a CSD, I may be comfortable going the extra mile bringing such 'little surprises' to gold members when the circumstances are right (e.g. F is almost empty and there is plenty of wine/champagne etc etc) but would feel very uncomfortable (and negatively predisposed) being asked for such favours. As HIDDY says, I would expect people who start expecting/asking would be likely to want always more - first the Earl Grey, then the Champagne, then the amenity kits, the F fish main course or a 'spare pair of pjs' and this would make me less likely to offer anything at all.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I don't want anything brought to me in CW from F. I would like to see BA add a couple of choices of tea to the CW product. A cup of something from the big cafeteria pot, or peppermint / blackcurrant / chamomile herby fruity stuff doesn't do it for me. I usually liberate a couple of teabags from the lounge for on board consumption.

It never ceases to amaze me that I can get a better selection of tea at the local diner than I get in Club World on British Airways!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
To be honest I do not see why BA could not offer the same hot and cold drinks in CW as in F.

The advantages of F are sufficient I think - bigger seat, higher staff/passenger ratio and dine on demand - to make a distinction between the quality of the drinks irrelevant for the passengers' buying decision.

(I mean of course giving CW passengers F standard drinks rather than F passengers CW standard drinks )
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Mmm. you know, I only asked for earl grey tea. I honestly didn't know it was "First class".

I didn't say "Could I have Earl Grey - I know its in First class - do you mind?". And I wouldn't either for the reasons everyone has said.

BUT ANYWAY...

What about the improvements in the meals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.