FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   August so much better than July [Club world catering] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1243968-august-so-much-better-than-july-club-world-catering.html)

ukgooner Aug 3, 2011 4:43 pm

August so much better than July [Club world catering]

Is it just me but has the catering actually got better at last in Club World?

After having to complain about my flight to EWR last week for a number of things - principally food quality, choice and availability - this months menu (to JFK) is leaps and bounds better:
- Excellent prosciutto starter;
- At last a decent salad with roasted tomatoes and parmesan
- Good main course choices - the sea bass was excellent
- Scones for tea again (I'm sure they weren't offered last week)

There was also a bit of copy at the front of the menu about "Height cuisine" / Umami

Fantastic crew on the UD too who couldn't do enough (Thanks for the Earl Grey)!

All in all one of the best flights I've had for ages...

BA5E Aug 4, 2011 5:07 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner (Post 16854590)

After having to complain about my flight to EWR last week for a number of things - principally food quality, choice and availability - this months menu (to JFK) is leaps and bounds better:
- Excellent prosciutto starter;
- At last a decent salad with roasted tomatoes and parmesan
- Good main course choices - the sea bass was excellent
- Scones for tea again (I'm sure they weren't offered last week)

There was also a bit of copy at the front of the menu about "Height cuisine" / Umami

Fantastic crew on the UD too who couldn't do enough (Thanks for the Earl Grey)!

All in all one of the best flights I've had for ages...

I thought Earl Grey was only for F pax

T8191 Aug 4, 2011 5:17 am

Obviously a subjective analysis, but you're not the first to note things seem to be improving here and there. Our expectations for our trip to IAD next month [on the UD, of course] have gone up a small notch ;)

I'm guessing the CC got you the Earl Grey, as a special favour, from F?

LadyB Aug 4, 2011 5:25 am

I have to disagree. We're just back this morning from CAN and I was disappointed with my main, I chose tagliatelle with mushrooms and it was over-done. I ate less than half of it, although the smoked salmon starter was nice and the salad was ok. I usually have the cheese plate instead of a pudding but didn't have anything, however my husband had the cheese and said it wasn't that good.
Nice Puilly Fume wine though and a good Kir Royale.

origin Aug 4, 2011 5:30 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 16857189)
Obviously a subjective analysis, but you're not the first to note things seem to be improving here and there. Our expectations for our trip to IAD next month [on the UD, of course] have gone up a small notch ;)

Dont expect too much then you wont be disapointed. I do hope you have a good flight.

ukgooner Aug 4, 2011 5:35 am

Im not sure where she got the Earl Grey from now you mention it. I knew it wasn't standard, cause I asked the other member of crew for it during tea service and he said they only had herbal. She overheard and said shed get me a second!

Maybe she had some in her handbag for emergencies...

T8191 Aug 4, 2011 5:41 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner (Post 16857242)

Perhaps she was trained by PUCCI? ;)

@ origin ... we have learned to expect little other than a punctual and safe flight! Everything else is a bonus :)

OPebble Aug 4, 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 16857260)
Perhaps she was trained by PUCCI? ;)

@ origin ... we have learned to expect little other than a punctual and safe flight! Everything else is a bonus :)

f she had been PUCCI trained it would have been a hairbrush not a cup of tea! ;)

IAMORGAN Aug 4, 2011 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner (Post 16857242)
Im not sure where she got the Earl Grey from now you mention it. I knew it wasn't standard, cause I asked the other member of crew for it during tea service and he said they only had herbal. She overheard and said shed get me a second!

Probably got the Earl Grey from First. Simples :)

If you don't ask you don't get.

Jenbel Aug 4, 2011 9:03 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN (Post 16857678)
Probably got the Earl Grey from First. Simples :)

If you don't ask you don't get.

Be careful, the last time someone said that on this forum, they got lynched by the 'how very dare you!' brigade :eek: ;) :D

origin Aug 4, 2011 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel (Post 16858252)
Be careful, the last time someone said that on this forum, they got lynched by the 'how very dare you!' brigade :eek: ;) :D

I dont agree. Asking for something in the lounges or on a plane is different from hundreds of people wanting to be upgraded at the entrance to the airport. Hundreds of people wont fit into club or first. A cup of Tea will be fine.

tom139 Aug 4, 2011 10:47 am

Originally Posted by origin (Post 16858416)
I dont agree. Asking for something in the lounges or on a plane is different from hundreds of people wanting to be upgraded at the entrance to the airport. Hundreds of people wont fit into club or first. A cup of Tea will be fine.

It's about product differentiation though not cost or anything. A few years ago I was refused Hot Chocolate in Club World because I was told it was exclusively for First pax.

awm Aug 4, 2011 11:27 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner (Post 16854590)

Have to agree - LHR/JFK last night: prosciutto starter and sea bass main were the best Club food I've had for a long time. Great crew and I even got a visit from the CSD which hasn't happened for at least a year.

T8191 Aug 4, 2011 11:32 am

I continue to reserve judgement until I see what happens next month on LHR-IAD, where the crew don't seem ever to be happy and everything in CW seems to be the minimum effort possible by BA/CC.

Hubbabridge Aug 4, 2011 11:56 am

Originally Posted by tom139 (Post 16858998)
It's about product differentiation though not cost or anything. A few years ago I was refused Hot Chocolate in Club World because I was told it was exclusively for First pax.

If it is really about product differentiation then my advice would be to do it with something that matters not a frigging early grey tea bag or some hot chocolate it looks cheap and miserly. For £3k return you should not be fussing about a 10p beverage. :mad: