Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Ah, the morning after...

I believe that the change is communicated on the front page of the website after you log in, not just in an e-mail. Same belittling text by the way.

Originally Posted by Paralytic
This is probably the most eloquent PUTI post I've ever read, over many years on many different internet forums,

You should drink more (often)
Thank you. I will do my best...
Old May 28, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Bretto
To be honest,FT is not a yardstick to calculate dissatisfaction among GCHs!
I couldn't agree more, but I'd suggest that people on this board are more likely to complain about the removal of the service since their hearts and minds are invested, to some extent, in BAEC.

We have no clue as of how many GCHs have called,mailed or complained to BA.
Agree again, but can you find a similar complaint thread anywhere else on the internet. Are there threads on facebook about it, are people tweeting about it? I just don't see this as a big customer satisfaction issue for BA.

My thinking is that more people use OD than is suggested on this thread, but its a small number within that group that are bothered enough with its removal to warrant any action on their part.

I guess it is used by a relatively small number of GCH (eg <10%), a small number of times on average (once or twice a year). I also suspect that a tiny percentage of those people use it many times each year, to the point where BA may regard it as abuse of the spirit of the benefit - it could be those people BA are targetting.

In other words, it could be that the use of OD doesn't follow a normal distribution curve.

The general cencus here on this board is that the whole problem lies in LGW and GVA,2 lounges out of "60 dedicated British Airways lounges" (source BA.com).
But that consensus is based on an assumption that no-one here can validate or disprove - that BA made the change because of a problem is with LGW and GVA. Any subsequent extrapolations based on that assumption should therefore be carefully scrutinised.

Since most people here post that they rarely use or never use it,I don't see how 2 lounges being crowded influences BA to cancel the perk.
You said yourself that this board is not representative of GCHs, so I think you have to be careful in the feedback here to come to any conclusions

Henk,most people here are dissatisfied about the loss of OD,some people are indifferent and some others act like BA apologists.
Of course most people are dissatisfied - something has been taken away from them. However, the fact a number of people have stated that they don't use OD yet are upset at the communication show that at least some of the reaction is an emotional one rather than a logical one.

To BA, its only a problem if people are willing to do something about it, and I don't see that happening.
Old May 28, 2011, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Uggh yes Paralytic you are right probably no more than 10% feel strongly about this.

That's not quite what i said. I suggested that no more than 90% of GCH were bothered with the change. The number that feel strongly about it to the point that they take any sort of meaningful action? I'd put that at less than 0.5%.

Originally Posted by hfly
So using that mentality I never collect Tesco points or do the mechanations of what many here do, and neithetr do 90% of BA GCH's so they too should be eliminated???
A rather spurious analogy, but I'll play along.

I'll assume you mean Tesco stopping the ability to convert their points into BA miles, rather than Tesco stopping the CC scheme altogether, or stopping the benefit just for GCHs - its not clear from your post.

Assuming that is what you meant, then if Tesco did that, I guess those that do shop at Tesco in order to get the points to convert to BA miles would make a decision as to whether continue shopping at Tesco and use the points elsewhere, or shop elsewhere. I'm sure Tesco would take that into account when making their decision.

I still don't get the point you're trying to make with the analogy though.

Last edited by Paralytic; May 28, 2011 at 7:17 am
Old May 28, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I hear all the time that FT isn't representative for BA flyers, why?

Why isn't silver and golds here representative for all silver/golds? I have studied statistics and I know you must have a randomly selected group for true representation. Also a certain percentage. This is an internet forum and obviously only people interested in internet forums are here.

The selection is still random (some people like internet forums some don't). The argument could be that people interested in internet forums are totally different from those that are not. I find this highly unlikely.

So maybe a bit OT but why do some people here claim that FT is unique and can't be used as a measure how BA customers think?
Old May 28, 2011, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lobengula
So maybe a bit OT but why do some people here claim that FT is unique and can't be used as a measure how BA customers think?
Because there are more variables in play. It is not 'just any' Internet forum. It is an internet forum for people with a particular interest in frequent flyer programmes. I honestly believe that says it all. For God's sake, there are a disproportionate number of people here who know what a mileage run is or - even worse - have at some point considered or even done one.
Old May 28, 2011, 9:16 am

Why isn't silver and golds here representative for all silver/golds? I have studied statistics and I know you must have a randomly selected group for true representation. Also a certain percentage. This is an internet forum and obviously only people interested in internet forums are here.
Because this group is self-selecting. All Silver and Golds fly. Those that frequent here, by definition, have a greater interest in the intricacies of BAEC.

Of those I work with - Silvers and Golds - many don't even know about the BA Amex card, 2-4-1, etc, all the stuff we take for granted and even when I tell them, their eyes glaze over. They are happy to keep their status and get into the lounge when they fly on business, and thats it. I bet some have redeemed miles on economy flights!
Old May 28, 2011, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Because the majority of BA flyers are normal.
Old May 28, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Because the majority of BA flyers are normal.

But I'm not so convinced that members of FT are freaks with needs/opinions totally different compared with those not reading/posting here.
Old May 28, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I'm not so convinced that members of FT are freaks with needs/opinions totally different compared with those not reading/posting here.
We are getting into a circular argument here, fellow FT'er...
Old May 28, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver

You've clearly not flown with me yet... [swipes at fly over shoulder]
Old May 28, 2011, 9:56 am

Of course you're not, you're on the inside looking out, not the other way about
Old May 28, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)

I hate to admit it, because it applies as much to me as to anyone else here I suppose, but assuming that FTers are typical of those who fly is like assuming that trainspotters are typical of those who commute by train...

And trainspotters don't understand why anyone thinks they are freaks either.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:18 am

As the majority of BA flyers are infrequent flyers. It has to be said, I am probably one of the most normal people on here.

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Of course you're not, you're on the inside looking out, not the other way about
There does seem to be a disproportionately high amount of lawyers on Flyertalk. One can only assume they arrive here whilst carrying out some research or they are a right bunch of stingies as the most popular threads are all to do with saving money.

Originally Posted by NickB
Do we have a deal?
Indeed..... have I been acquitted then?
Old May 28, 2011, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by CCayley

And trainspotters don't understand why anyone thinks they are freaks either.
Even more frightening is the fact that there are a few train spotters on this forum as well.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@hfly

Your arguments don't make much sense to me (probably my fault) but you do seem to imply that if one does not agree with you (i.e. sees the evil that is BA) one is either an idiot, a charlatan or an impostor. That seems like a rather peculiar way of trying to prove the merit of your position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.