Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by MarkLHR
I'd be happy with that if cost really is the issue behind this. As a BA shareholder I'm all for the company preserving margins and value but at the same time finding the balance to keep its most loyal customers loyal.
anybody with 800 or 1500 TP's with BA is spending real money

Don't believe in the voucher scheme because it actually encourages people to go to the lounge

I'd like the % of GCH who use the open door facility more than twice a year

I'd say less than 25%
Old May 30, 2011, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by terminalfive

Don't believe in the voucher scheme because it actually encourages people to go to the lounge

I'd say less than 25%
I would not be surprised if that number was more 10 times lower.
Old May 30, 2011, 5:24 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by terminalfive

I'd say less than 25%
AC has a voucher scheme, you can elect to get 4 each year or a similar amount. I've lost count over how many I've thrown away by not using.

Their lounges are not overcrowded, and as well as the vouchers, the top tier (Super-Elite) also have Anytime Access.

In my view 4 vouchers a year for BA Golds would be sensible. Use them yourself as a replacement for Open Doors, or occasionally bring an additional guest into the lounge.
Old May 30, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaz
AC has a voucher scheme, you can elect to get 4 each year or a similar amount. I've lost count over how many I've thrown away by not using.

Their lounges are not overcrowded, and as well as the vouchers, the top tier (Super-Elite) also have Anytime Access.

In my view 4 vouchers a year for BA Golds would be sensible. Use them yourself as a replacement for Open Doors, or occasionally bring an additional guest into the lounge.
It would indeed be reasonable and sensible. However, if BA considers that Open Doors is costing them too much, the odds of them finding this affordable are pretty remote given that usage of vouchers is likely to substantially exceed use of open doors.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by NickB
That is not what was said in those posts. Yes, several complained about the com's dimension but many also expressed their disapproval of the policy change.
Now, it is always possible to say that these people did not mean what they say but, until there is proof to the contrary, I think we should start by assuming that people mean what they say, at any rate when they are just expressing opinions.
I am not a lawyer so my definition of 'facts' will slightly differ. I have a degree in communication and I am a firm believer that what people say and what they mean are hardly ever the same. So you have to interpret what you think is really going on and I did. We will see who is right in 2 months or so.
Old May 31, 2011, 1:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I am a firm believer that what people say and what they mean are hardly ever the same.
How very true. When I got married 20 odd years ago I said I would " love, honour and obey". Now the first two are true ard correct...... but the latter.....
Old May 31, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
We will see who is right in 2 months or so.
How will we see? Most people will get irritated by the change, lose some love for BA and move on. Even the most irritated arent going to return to this thread week after week.....
Old May 31, 2011, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stueys
How will we see? Most people will get irritated by the change, lose some love for BA and move on. Even the most irritated arent going to return to this thread week after week.....
Oh, some people claimed one could measure the severity of the impact by the # of related posts/time this thread was alive/etc. My premise is that when a thread dies down this quickly (like it already seems to have except for a couple of people discussing the thread itself) nobody was really upset. The Flying Blue April Fool's Day Thread for example was active for months.
Old May 31, 2011, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
GCH still unhappy

Oh, some people claimed one could measure the severity of the impact by the # of related posts/time this thread was alive/etc. My premise is that when a thread dies down this quickly (like it already seems to have except for a couple of people discussing the thread itself) nobody was really upset. The Flying Blue April Fool's Day Thread for example was active for months.
I disagree. If we are unhappy, how many times do we need to say the same thing? I am a GC holder and I did use this benefit from time to time (no not when flying budget airlines but at various stops around the world). I do not feel BAEC has not taken these concerns seriously. I want to see BAEC come back with a full answer and a possible acknowledgement that they got this one wrong. A u-turn can be turned into a PR success -- unlike the original email which was a PR disaster.
Old May 31, 2011, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nhaqueoi
I disagree.
That's your prerogative.
Old May 31, 2011, 3:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Ok, thanks, Understand the premise but think it's slightly flawed. People were irritated but a gauge of that irritation is the previous posts in the thread itself and what people said, not whether they come back and repeat themselves 5 times
Old May 31, 2011, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The premise is not that they will repeat themselves 5 times but that - if the loss of this perk will really influence traveling pleasure - (new) people will find their way to to this thread to complain about it.

We will see after June 17th* when this comes into effect.

*Strange date to start this by the way. Why June 17th? Why not June/July 1st?
Old May 31, 2011, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not a lawyer so my definition of 'facts' will slightly differ.
yawn. Is that really necessary?

I have a degree in communication and I am a firm believer that what people say and what they mean are hardly ever the same.
Even when they have no reason not to say what they mean?

You are confusing the object of disappointment and the severity of it. Many GCHs dislike the change of policy even though it is not going to have a huge impact on them
Comparing it to the April Fool's thread does not make much sense: April Fool was a massive devaluation of the FB programme that would affect pretty much everybody and would affect them severely. Of course it was going to attract for more reactions and far longer.
This change will affect fewer people and will affect them less severely. It does not follow from this that people do not care about it nor that what they really object to is the communication rather than the substance of the policy change.

Let us take a few examples typical of the reaction of a number of GCHs from earlier up-thread:
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Not that I'd used it, but I don't find it at all weird. You are loyal to BA by flying enough to get Gold, and if they don't fly to where you want to and/or someone else does it significantly cheaper, you still get to use the lounge.

I now really can't see much differentiator between Silver and Gold, certainly not enough to make it worth any hassle of TP runs etc..
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Another point of differentiation between Gold and Tin has gone.
Originally Posted by JamieT
My guess is the feedback that counted came from the accountants.

Disappointed in this as it was handy when I had to fly from EDI to other regional destinations, since BA no longer have that network. In my particular travel circumstances, there isn't much to choose between gold and silver now. (I only used it 2-3 times per annum, compared to a weekly return trip with BA, so it wasn't like I was costing them all that much!)
Originally Posted by Morland
Not asked here either, surprisingly. Used it once or twice and it was a nice perk. Given that there won't be any Open Doors pax at T5 and many overseas lounges were exempt because they weren't BA-operated, I do wonder exactly how much it can have cost them. Maybe EZY moving in to the North terminal at LGW made the difference.

Anyway, between this and the cocktail bar at Galleries Club, I'm getting supremely relaxed about my drop from Gold to Silver next month.
Originally Posted by economyman
I have used this on average probably once or twice a year and I am not happy now!

This really was something that differentiated BA from the rest of the FFP crowd. I have never found it resulted in overcrowded lounges which could be justification for removing the benefit.

I also quite doubt the claim that the decision was also based on feedback from executive club members unless perhaps it was not Golds they asked.

This is a real let down!
Originally Posted by chessers1
Hi all, don't post on here very often - in fact haven't been on for so long have forgotten my details and had to re-register.

IMO this is not a good move. I have to juggle my schedule as it is to keep my BA Gold status valid, with their flights often being more expensive and after this will find it harder to do so.

I do not use the perk very often, but it has been very useful to me on a few occasions.

I agree with the sentiment that maybe it is because the facility is being overused by members who fly a lot of budget airlines, but to counter that, they are still at Gold status so BA are making money in some way!
Now, are you seriously saying that what LondonAndy, Swanhunter, JamieT, Morland, economyman and chessers1 really object to is the communication the change of policy and not the policy change at all?

This is not what these posts say to me. What they say to me is that these posters disapprove of the change of policy, see it as a wrong move but that this is will have a relatively marginal impact on them.

But then, what do I know? I don't have a degree in communications.
Old May 31, 2011, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NickB, it wasn't a stab at you or lawyers (unlike the last line of your post seemed to be one at us poor communication experts. ). Discussing 'facts' with lawyers (I count many amongst my friends) is a good way to experience different levels of reality though*.

I stick to my analysis of the reactions. You don't agree, which is your prerogative. I still believe that the (poor) communication solicited the responses and that a true evaluation of the impact of this 'enhancement' can only be made after a couple of months.

EDIT: For good measure, I don't appreciate the removal of this benefit either. I actually used it once in a while when I preferred BA lounges to others. Mostly in SA where the SLOW lounges are a blessing. So it will affect me, I don't like it but I still think it is a relatively minor change that would have gotten a lot less attention if communicated better.

* which I find exemplified by your post by the way.

Last edited by henkybaby; May 31, 2011 at 4:35 am
Old May 31, 2011, 4:14 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That just about sums up my feelings. I used to be Gold, and never used this benefit.

I've just re-qualified, so was a bit annoyed when I got the email.

I think this is the perk that I'll miss least.

Say they'd removed guest access for Golds like Emirates have recently done... now that would be annoying.
Cheers,
Rick
Now that would be a serious change! I think the whole point of the guest access is that it is aimed a building loyalty in customers (primarily business people who want to take a colleague or a spouse into the lounge when travelling together).

I am amazed that EK has stopped this. Can't see the point apart from annoying loyal customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.