Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I believe you are the exception (based on the past 700 posts and the fact that this a very biased sample)
Exception to what, an exception to a very biased sample?
Old May 27, 2011, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Exception to what, an exception to a very biased sample?
In the 700 posts I did not find many expressing that they used this privilege very often and I consider the people who post here to be a skewed sample in the sense that we are more aware and bigger whiners...
Old May 27, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't mind the communication as much as I mind the loss of the benefit I have used often enough to value it.
I believe you are the exception (based on the past 700 posts and the fact that this a very biased sample)
Absolutely agree HkB. Although I have occasionally used OD I really don't mind losing it at all. But, this is not the first "tarnish" after apparently consulting BAEC members. I have been a GCH for longer than most on this forum (21 years I think) and I've never been consulted on anything by BA. Communication is the problem here, and the angst in the responses suggests a deeper held view that this is an example of how BA managers don't care for the customers, and this spills down to the occasional offhand crew. eg I have has some unbelievably bad responses from customer services, which I should have taken further but didn't see any point (BA pls feel free to PM me, I promise I'll limit it to just one example).

Last edited by Prospero; May 28, 2011 at 2:51 am Reason: Correct quote syntax
Old May 27, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
(PUTI) I am still with HIDDY as far as the rationale for this move is concerned and I still don't think it affects us much. I still think that our irritation is caused by the way it is communicated.

Without getting into details I know where the communication originated and I also know that this topic on FT gave them a lot to think about. Maybe they will not 'correct' this communication fallacy but I am pretty sure that future communications will take into account the commotion this has caused.

I still believe that WW-HIDDY and some other posters are the voice of reason but you can't disarm an emotional reaction with rational arguments. I hope BAEC takes into account that the incorrect communication of a relatively minor change caused a disproportionate reaction.
This is probably the most eloquent PUTI post I've ever read, over many years on many different internet forums,

You should drink more (often)
Old May 27, 2011, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Henky, you are sort of proving your point and ours. You are right, in 700 posts no one has said that they use OD on a regular basis, every week or whatever, most say either,

1) They never use it (so change or no change, they are uneffected),
2) They use it once in a blue moon, and in many cases has been very convenient/lifesaver and are peeved at the changes.
3) They value it and use it fairly regulary a few times a year (and are very peeved) of this third category half believe this a decision maker as to whether they will fly BA enough in the future or not, while the other half will probably go on as they are (Those who are not GC do not count in my reckoning).

So Henky, obviously the flyer that never uses it (which incidentally is often a UK based O/D flyer is not too bothered by it and will only only be peeved if they see it either as a 1) General diminishing of benefits, or
2) Such as yourself, is bothered by the incredibly bad way they communicated these changes

However categories 2 and 3 are more likely to be non UK based fliers, you know, the ones that BA has to go out of its way to appease, the ones who have a lot of choice.

This is where BA is shooting itself in the foot.

In the real World I have spoken with perhaps 10 people about this who regularly fly BA (ar GC holders), 5 could not care less, 4 are somewhat bothered by this, 1 is not going to bother flying BA anymore (not me) enough to matter. Can BA afford this, over something so trivial? Even if it is 1 in 100?

If they got rid of LGW for the OD scheme it would end most of their problems and that is the way they should go.
Old May 27, 2011, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
...many that could VERY easily fly other carriers and drop BAEC all together.
I guess BA are willing to either accept the collateral damage of customer attrition, or think that many people will complain about this, but not many will actually change their flying habits.

On the evidence of this thread, the latter is the likely outcome. Out of the thousands (or tens of thousands) of GCHs, I bet those that have complained about this change can be measured in a 10s or small number of hundreds.

For me the only voice of reason that I see is that BA drops OD at LGW and cancels the announcement everywhere else.
More assumptions. There is no evidence that this is an LGW-only problem. Indeed, there was an indicator up-thread that the issue may be with NA and Asia lounges, which are those more likely to be managed in an outsourced manner and have per-passenger costs.
Old May 27, 2011, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would be willing to bet that over 90% of GCH's have no idea yet that any such change is forthcoming. What would be the only sign of this? Reading an e-mail sent a week ago from the airline?? Personally I almost never read them right away if at all, and only read it because I saw this thread! For that matter most GCH's that value this perk and are to use it over the next 3 weeks will be able to, and as has been attested countless times, the avergare person who values this perk does NOT use it that frquently, so it will be months before most would even be aware of it.

Regarding what you say about Asia and NA lounges, that quite frankly is just noise, much of it posted by those who are guessing for reasons. For that matter please tell me, which BA operated lounge in Asia are you referring to? Mumbai or HKG (which is a joint lounge), Possibly SIN, which is/was supposed to be joint? Because that is it. You do realize that only half the NA lounges are BA operated right? and that the layout of half those US airports means that OD is impractical for anyone else but BA or 1w passengers, don't you? You also realize that outside of the UK, BA only has about a dozen operated lounges in Europe, don't you? In fact BA only has about 32 lounges that it operates itself in the entire World outside the UK,
Old May 27, 2011, 5:54 pm

I would be willing to bet that over 90% of GCH's have no idea yet that any such change is forthcoming. What would be the only sign of this? Reading an e-mail sent a week ago from the airline?? Personally I almost never read them right away if at all, and only read it because I saw this thread! For that matter most GCH's that value this perk and are to use it over the next 3 weeks will be able to, and as has been attested countless times, the avergare person who values this perk does NOT use it that frquently, so it will be months before most would even be aware of it.
I would be willing to bet that over 90% of GCH's don't care that such change is forthcoming. I actually think it'd be over 95% but I like the synchronicity of our statements.

If GCHs don't read their email then I've no sympathy with them if they try to use OD and get rejected. BA can't be expected to phone everyone. I'm sure early in the thread someone said there was a message in MMB too?

I've said from the start I'd be perturbed if a benefit was removed from me. I'm human, I like to feel valued and taking something away from me hurts my feelings. But, is it really such a hardship to sit in a public area every so often. I do it when I don't fly BA and I've not caught anything contagious yet.

Regarding what you say about Asia and NA lounges, that quite frankly is just noise, much of it posted by those who are guessing for reasons.
If you'd been paying attention, you'd have realised it was the BA person who phoned corporate-wage-slave that (from his recollection) said the issue was in the US and Asia.

But then, BS has been called on that BA agent, so perhaps its all part of the big act to fool those apparent few people who used the service. And they would have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky FT posters.

For that matter please tell me, which BA operated lounge in Asia are you referring to? Mumbai or HKG (which is a joint lounge), Possibly SIN, which is/was supposed to be joint? Because that is it. You do realize that only half the NA lounges are BA operated right? and that the layout of half those US airports means that OD is impractical for anyone else but BA or 1w passengers, don't you? You also realize that outside of the UK, BA only has about a dozen operated lounges in Europe, don't you? In fact BA only has about 32 lounges that it operates itself in the entire World outside the UK,
Sorry, it's not clear what point you're trying to make. All I see is rhetoric.
Old May 27, 2011, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I would be willing to bet that over 90% of GCH's don't care that such change is forthcoming. I actually think it'd be over 95% but I like the synchronicity of our statements.
I would tend to agree with you on this. It won't be an issue for the majority of GCHs beyond being taken as another sign of penny-pinching by BA. But we always come round to the same thing again: if very few people do mind, how much fewer actually use it (and from this thread we can also infer that the number of those who mind exceeds the number of those who actually use it) and, if so, how credible is the claim that this has significant cost saving implications for BA? One cannot have one's cake and eat it on this.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Gold,SQ Gold

However categories 2 and 3 are more likely to be non UK based fliers, you know, the ones that BA has to go out of its way to appease, the ones who have a lot of choice.

This is where BA is shooting itself in the foot.

This is what I have been saying all along,since BA is trying to do it's best to get non-UK residents on board (lower tier points,OD!!!) you'd think they'd try to RISE above competitors by offering MORE,not LOWER themselves and emulate other FFP and become similar.Every business needs an added value over competitors and for non-UK residents OD is imprtant even though it's not that widely used but it is indeed a carrot!
Old May 28, 2011, 12:36 am

On the evidence of this thread, the latter is the likely outcome. Out of the thousands (or tens of thousands) of GCHs, I bet those that have complained about this change can be measured in a 10s or small number of hundreds.
To be honest,FT is not a yardstick to calculate dissatisfaction among GCHs!
We have no clue as of how many GCHs have called,mailed or complained to BA.

The general cencus here on this board is that the whole problem lies in LGW and GVA,2 lounges out of "60 dedicated British Airways lounges" (source BA.com).
Since most people here post that they rarely use or never use it,I don't see how 2 lounges being crowded influences BA to cancel the perk.

Henk,most people here are dissatisfied about the loss of OD,some people are indifferent and some others act like BA apologists.
Old May 28, 2011, 1:01 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others

If GCHs don't read their email then I've no sympathy with them if they try to use OD and get rejected. BA can't be expected to phone everyone. I'm sure early in the thread someone said there was a message in MMB too?

rhetoric.
It's in my MMB every time I log in to check whether CX have added my miles. Personally I've never used OD and it's passing doesn't bother me one bit.

What I do object to is the tone of the email and the fact that they even biggerd it up as to what the benefit was, and then have rubbed salt in the wound for all by removing it.

The miles and perks are nice, I appreciate the comments about narrowing the gap twixt Gold and Silver, however I fly to get from A to B in the most efficient manner possible - anything else the airlines through at me to get my business is a bonus.
Old May 28, 2011, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uggh yes Paralytic you are right probably no more than 10% feel strongly about this. So using that mentality I never collect Tesco points or do the mechanations of what many here do, and neithetr do 90% of BA GCH's so they too should be eliminated???

Regarding the phone call, as in all of Asia BA has only ONE lounge operated solely by BA, I strongly doubt that Mumbai is such a problem, don't you? IS it the two JV lounges with Qantas?
Old May 28, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bretto
This is what I have been saying all along,since BA is trying to do it's best to get non-UK residents on board (lower tier points,OD!!!) you'd think they'd try to RISE above competitors by offering MORE,not LOWER themselves and emulate other FFP and become similar.Every business needs an added value over competitors and for non-UK residents OD is imprtant even though it's not that widely used but it is indeed a carrot!
Well, none of the U.S. airlines have anything like OD for gold-equivalents. Most of the U.S. lounges are actually membership clubs, that happen to provide access for golds, int'l business/first, etc. If you're a paying member, you can get in at any time, but everyone else has to be flying that day, under a specific set of conditions.

But you can thank us for exporting another feature of American culture to you, which is full-service airlines racing each other to the bottom, rather than one-upping each other with improvements.
Old May 28, 2011, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
But you can thank us for exporting another feature of American culture to you, which is full-service airlines racing each other to the bottom, rather than one-upping each other with improvements.
Unfortunatly you're right on this point!
They won't upgrade services and offers,just cut everywhere they can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.