Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pressing close lift door button? Am I evil?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver

When arriving at T5B you have to take the lift down to train and lift back up.

If you're first off the plane, you will often fine that you'll get to th lift quickly but then if there is a steady flow of people towards the lift you get... "doors closing" "doors opening" until the lift is full, on occasions I have pressed the lift close doors to try and get the thing moving... am I evil?!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
Maybe you're just that determined to get to baggage reclaim first.

I do the same, depending on the attractiveness of any lift-space competition.

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I press and hold it as soon as I get in and i have noticed crew do also.

If you don't the dam thing never goes up until the doors have almost closed and opened 99 times

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by johnny5a

If you're first off the plane, you will often fine that you'll get to th lift quickly but then if there is a steady flow of people towards the lift you get... "doors closing" "doors opening" until the lift is full, on occasions I have pressed the lift close doors to try and get the thing moving... am I evil?!
nope!!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
I do it too
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
No your not, the look on people's faces when they are nearly at the door and it closes is priceless.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
No, not evil. Seems like a few of us do it.

But is it evil to look very apologetically at the people who've just got there as the doors close and they get left behind, then to sn1gger to yourself as you descend/ascend?!

PS - FT doesn't approve of the sn1gger word!! Took me a while to figure out why!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by andygeog
Maybe you're just that determined to get to baggage reclaim first.
Most of the time, I am hand baggage only.

Hmm so it's not just me!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
No idea if this is true or not, but I've bene told that in lifts manufactured after a certain date, the 'close' button doesn't actually do anything. If this is the case, the real question is whether one presses the 'door open' button when you can see someone approaching.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

No you're not evil otherwise you'd be there for ages letting everyone in.

Originally Posted by ardboe
No your not, the look on people's faces when they are nearly at the door and it closes is priceless.
This reminded me of a colleague who years and years ago used to take great delight and boast at the office if he saw a hitchhiker, would stop a short distance after them and as they got up to the vehicle carrying their bags would accelarate away leaving the person(s) making all kind of, mainly hand, gestures. Now that was not evil but priceless.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by choirgirl
No idea if this is true or not, but I've bene told that in lifts manufactured after a certain date, the 'close' button doesn't actually do anything. If this is the case, the real question is whether one presses the 'door open' button when you can see someone approaching.
One of my big customers makes lifts and the button does work still! The T5 lift close buttons do work well
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: BA gold
Not only that, the lift will only get rammed full and cue much elbowing and baggage into shins which I think is more rude/evil than just pressing the close button a tad earlier
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by johnny5a

No escalators then?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:31 am

Perfectly acceptable behaviour - though I do feel that the 'staircase' is a highly under-utilised concept in modern service architecture.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
No, you are not evil. The doors will never close otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.