Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pressing close lift door button? Am I evil?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pressing close lift door button? Am I evil?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:19 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by theaxe
The golden rule of Terminal 5 - the lifts are always quicker. ^
I decided to try the escalators at the far southern end of T5 arrivals today (long story, but loo-related). Got up the first 2, found the last one cordoned off for maintenance. So ended up on the crew floor with one lift to catch. It seemed to shoot past in both directions on several occasions without stopping, so I assume either it was full or someone know the Otis secret code.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by squeeler
Americans love to hold lift (elevator) doors open for inordinate periods. I have observed that lift behaviour is one of the fundamental differences between Brits and Americans. Americans scowl and press the 'door open' button when they see someone approaching; Brits smile, press the 'door close' button and may even mouth the word "Sorry".
I'm off to speak to my parents. I'm obviously adopted from abroad.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by origin
Now its haggis time!!
That's alright for you to say but for those of us currently residing in the Land of the Free (sic), the haggis has been deemed a serious threat to public health (and security for all I know). Obviously fully-automatic weapons in the hands of the mentally retarded are fine, but haggis is classified as a WMD and thus banned.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
That's alright for you to say but for those of us currently residing in the Land of the Free (sic), the haggis has been deemed a serious threat to public health (and security for all I know). Obviously fully-automatic weapons in the hands of the mentally retarded are fine, but haggis is classified as a WMD and thus banned.
Haggis is really dangerous. It should only be handled by qualified people!!

I am glad to see that the American Govertnment aware of that fact. I am sorry that they deem it bad for you. get drunk on whisky instead, that wont be bad for your health.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeeler
Slightly OT - but IMHO it is never haggis time.
Once a year is okay. The rest of the time I just stick the the scotch.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by The Saint
Let's see what it makes of S....horpe.
You heard about their famous football team who managed to make personalised calendars that left off the S in their name
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:39 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

A while ago I got in the lift from T5A down to the train to T5B. The lift was full and the doors closed, only for some idiot outside to keep pressing the 'Call Lift' button which caused the doors to open again.

This happened 4 or 5 times before I snapped. I stuck my head out and shouted 'STOP PRESSING THE ******* BUTTON' at the startled 'gentleman'.

We then proceeded without further ado.

Cheers
Rick
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
A while ago I got in the lift from T5A down to the train to T5B. The lift was full and the doors closed, only for some idiot outside to keep pressing the 'Call Lift' button which caused the doors to open again.

This happened 4 or 5 times before I snapped. I stuck my head out and shouted 'STOP PRESSING THE ******* BUTTON' at the startled 'gentleman'.

We then proceeded without further ado.

Cheers
Rick
Charming, I'm sure a "Can you please stop pressing the button" in a firm manner would have be suffice rather than swearing. Bad manners if you ask me and uncalled for to swear which sadly is more ecommon in everyday language everywhere.

Last edited by PETER01; Jan 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm Reason: Comment
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by PETER01
Charming, I'm sure a "Can you please stop pressing the button" in a firm manner would have be suffice rather than swearing. Bad manners if you ask me and uncalled for to swear which sadly is more ecommon in everyday language everywhere.
You must love "The Thick of It", then.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I'm a very kind man and always help where I can. I once stepped in to a hotel elevator and pressed the button for my floor. Doors didn't immediately close and I saw a gentleman rushing towards me with a bag, he said something like: "please hold the elevator".

My initial thought was to hold the "open doors" button to let him in. By mistake I pressed the "close doors" button, he didn't look happy
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Indeed.

I, for one, don't understand why people feel the need to brag about being nasty. Do they really have such a low opinion of themselves that being unpleasant and telling everyone about it is the only way that they can feel better? Very sad.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by RayG
You must love "The Thick of It", then.

As they say there is a time and a place for swearing but hardly in a lift full of passengers some of whom may possibly have been children?

I like nothing better than watching an episode of Still Game, Billy Connolly, Lee Evans etc but sadly people tend to 'snap' far too quick in public these days as well as on here.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:59 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Actually, I'm exaggerating, I didn't actually swear, but I did shout
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lobengula
I'm a very kind man and always help where I can. I once stepped in to a hotel elevator and pressed the button for my floor. Doors didn't immediately close and I saw a gentleman rushing towards me with a bag, he said something like: "please hold the elevator".

My initial thought was to hold the "open doors" button to let him in. By mistake I pressed the "close doors" button, he didn't look happy
I bet he didn't

< > is the official international symbol on lift buttons to hold open
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond

As they say there is a time and a place for swearing but hardly in a lift full of passengers some of whom may possibly have been children?

I like nothing better than watching an episode of Still Game, Billy Connolly, Lee Evans etc but sadly people tend to 'snap' far too quick in public these days as well as on here.
No arguments there.

Perhaps, leave swearing to irascible spin doctors...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.