Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Chase Visa Signature Card (USA) and Travel Together questions [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Chase Visa Signature Card (USA) and Travel Together questions [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:06 pm

The $30K annual spend for a 241 certificate is based on calendar year (i.e. January 1 to December 31) not your card anniversary date.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by majortom421
The $30K annual spend for a 241 certificate is based on calendar year (i.e. January 1 to December 31) not your card anniversary date.
Correct - I'm not sure which part of my post indicated something contrary to that. I'm almost at $30K annual spend, but May 1 is when my annual fee will hit.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:13 pm

Sorry, my mistake.

I am impressed with $30K of spend in four months.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
active card

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hi All,

Quick info / clarification of what the Chase agent just told me when I called... So I knew that my anniversary date was coming up soon, and I also knew that I was getting close to the $30K spend number. I called and asked, and I'm only a couple thousand away. She told me that my annual fee would hit on May 1. I asked her if I quickly spent a few thousand and then canceled before the fee if I would get my certificate still. She told me that I shouldn't worry about it, as their policy is that if you cancel the card within 60 days of being charged the annual fee, the fee will be refunded. Can anyone confirm this? I don't see why they would do that, but if that's the case, it seems to work just fine for me... Thanks!
you might want to research this a bit more. My recollection was that the BA Chase card needed to be used to pay for the fees for the 241 certificate to be used. Could be wrong, could be an old requirement - or even non at all.

but, best to confirm it all so you don't lose the option to use the 241.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by majortom421
I am impressed with $30K of spend in four months.
The impressiveness depends how much of that $30k was 'manufactured'
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by nmenaker
you might want to research this a bit more. My recollection was that the BA Chase card needed to be used to pay for the fees for the 241 certificate to be used. Could be wrong, could be an old requirement - or even non at all.

but, best to confirm it all so you don't lose the option to use the 241.
Thanks for that feedback. I just took a look at the site, and all I could find, digging into terms and conditions... Doesn't look like the annual fee to the card is relevant to the certificate. Do you remember where you heard that?

Travel Together Ticket
Earning a Redemption Voucher for a companion

You are only eligible to receive a Travel Together Ticket (Voucher) for a companion if you are a member of the BA Executive Club and are the main account holder within a BA/Chase Credit Card account (a Member).
Additional cardmembers to the main Credit Card account are not eligible to receive a voucher. Any amount spent on any supplementary Credit Card(s) of the main Credit Card account will count towards the main account holders Spend Target.
To be entitled to receive a voucher, the Member must have reached the required Spend Target within a 12 month period starting each year on January 1 and ending on December 31 (the Twelve Month Period) For the avoidance of doubt, if a customer opens a Credit Card account on any date following January 1 then they must have reached their Spend Target by December 31 of that year to be awarded a voucher.
The qualifying Spend Target of the BA/Chase Credit Card is 30,000 USD (the Spend Target). Qualifying spend does not include cash withdrawals, interest, balance transfers and fees.
Only one voucher can be earned in any Twelve Month Period. If the Member reaches their Spend Target within the Twelve Month Period then further spend will not accumulate towards another voucher. Members can begin earning towards their next voucher at the beginning of the next Twelve Month Period.
When the Member has reached the Spend Target an e-voucher (Travel Together Ticket ) will automatically be added to their BA Executive Club account. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. The e-voucher will be valid from the date on which it appears on the Members Executive Club account and will be valid for 24 months.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:39 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Platinum; IHG Diamond-Amb.; Meli/HH/Bonvoy Gold
My recollection was that the BA Chase card needed to be used to pay for the fees for the 241 certificate to be used.
This is not the case (and I'm 99.99% certain that it never has been).
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:58 am

not annual fees

Originally Posted by IMH
This is not the case (and I'm 99.99% certain that it never has been).
I'm not talking about the annual fees, but the fuel service charges and taxes for tickets.

Back in 2010/2011 when this whole 100K deal started, I was instructed by BA that I needed to use the BA Card to pay those fees. I seem to recall there was some language to that effect back then. It doesn't appear (based on post above, although not sure if REDEMPTION is truly covered in that text) that to be the case any longer.

Certainly there should be someone who can comment from actual usage of another credit card being used for the *stupid fuel surcharges and taxes associated with using a 241?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I'm not talking about the annual fees, but the fuel service charges and taxes for tickets.

Back in 2010/2011 when this whole 100K deal started, I was instructed by BA that I needed to use the BA Card to pay those fees. I seem to recall there was some language to that effect back then. It doesn't appear (based on post above, although not sure if REDEMPTION is truly covered in that text) that to be the case any longer.

Certainly there should be someone who can comment from actual usage of another credit card being used for the *stupid fuel surcharges and taxes associated with using a 241?
I recently used my American Express card to charge taxes and fuel surcharges for a trip using a Chase 2-4-1 voucher.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:41 am
IMH

Yes -- that was clear from your earlier post. My answer remains: this is not the case (and I'm 99.99% certain that it never has been).

there should be someone who can comment from actual usage of another credit card being used for the *stupid fuel surcharges and taxes associated with using a 241?
I've used an AmEx more than once (it earns me more Avios than BA's own credit card, even without a transfer bonus).
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:49 am

wasn't clear to earlier poster

Originally Posted by IMH
Yes -- that was clear from your earlier post. My answer remains: this is not the case (and I'm 99.99% certain that it never has been).

I've used an AmEx more than once (it earns me more Avios than BA's own credit card, even without a transfer bonus).
The annual fee reference was for the earlier poster, who noted the annual fee requirement.

If you had repeatedly used an AMEX before, then why weren't you 100% certain and I guess why wouldn't you have simply put that in post #652

Ah well, in almost all things OMMV.

edit: just for posterity, adding some of the historical T&C's

"Member and companion must each pay all applicable surcharges, government fees and taxes where applicable. Offer applies to new bookings only. Other restrictions apply.

Now granted, this was from back when the offer was new for the 241, either 2009 or 2010.
• This offer is only available to select US Executive Club members who use their BA Visa card to book"

Last edited by nmenaker; Apr 25, 2014 at 10:56 am
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:03 am
IMH

just for posterity, adding some of the historical T&C's
[...]
This offer is only available to select US Executive Club members who use their BA Visa card to book"
Thanks for that -- it's always good to have these archived. (My 99.99% was way too confident, sorry.)
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:11 am

AMEX cards

Originally Posted by IMH
Thanks for that -- it's always good to have these archived. (My 99.99% was way too confident, sorry.)
it does seem that the BA American Express cards to which this offer applies internationally (in UK for example) have the same T&C's, even today.

So, it could be that BA when booking doesn't really discriminate possibly when it comes to booking with AN AMEX, and not necessarily THE BA AMEX.

the USA Chase Card T&C's seem a bit more vague, saying things like "booking will only be made the card holder name" and "card holder" must be one of the passengers on the itinerary, etc.

Booking with a Mastercard or another visa MIGHT be problematic, but I don't really know at this point.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Looked back several pages, can't find any "churnable, unchurnable" reports...?
Me:
a. got it Sep2013, got 50Kmi via $2K spend
b. can I get 2nd 50Kmi offer via "need" for personal & investing cc's?
c. willing to cancel 1st or not according to authoritative advice!

Thanks for any veteran responses or links!!! ^ :-: ^ :-: ^

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; Apr 25, 2014 at 7:47 pm
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
#659: did I post in wrong forum...?
(flummoxed by no responses in 48hrs!! )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.