Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Uber from GIG

Uber from GIG

Old Mar 22, 19, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Sorry, but all that I remember is what you see in post #10 in this thread.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:28 am

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Do the Uber / taxi / 99 Pop guidelines here still apply almost a year later?
Old Feb 9, 20, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by boxo View Post
Do the Uber / taxi / 99 Pop guidelines here still apply almost a year later?
Uber was really easy.

Follow the instructions on the app. It said to go to Departures, to Doors C or D, and request the ride. My driver was there a minute later. 10:20 am - 11:00 am Friday to Copacabana was R48, about US$12.
Esmjb likes this.

Last edited by boxo; Feb 9, 20 at 10:09 pm Reason: Added day of the week.
Old Feb 26, 20, 1:07 am

Mid-Rio stay, we went to Buenos Aires for a few days. On return to Rio, our flight arrived at 1 am. I requested a ride once out at the curb, but had a hard time finding our driver in the dark. He'd parked at D even though I tapped door C in the app. And rather than pull up at the curb, he was across the lane parked at the island. Thankfully, he was standing outside his car and didn't take off and cancel. He didn't speak English, but he pointed things out to us and was a nice guy.

On departure from our Lapa neighborhood hotel, as soon as we got to the curb, there was a torrential downpour with lightning and we sought cover under a news stand roof. Still at the curb, but dark because it was night, it was difficult to read license plates. Our driver pulled up, didn't see anyone standing at the curb, and drove away. Thankfully he got caught at the stoplight and we were able to load up. I can't remember how long the ride was, but we detoured a time or two for an accident and/or a closed street, but I would guess 40-45 minutes. The cost was R$57.19.

PS - Tipping is possible on the app unlike Buenos Aires.
Old Apr 3, 20, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
I used Uber extensively when I was in Rio in December. As a single female traveler safety is paramount to me and my Uber drivers were considerate and courteous. I can't comment much on the ride from GIG as I had a bit of a party on the flight down from LHR

Search this Thread
Search Engine: