FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Uber from GIG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1885107-uber-gig.html)

Esmjb Dec 29, 2017 7:10 am

Uber from GIG

Im starting a thread to make it easy for people to get the info they want. Yes Uber works from GIG and yes you should absolutely take it and you will pay about half the price a regular taxi charges or way less than those ripoff places charge that hound you coming out of customs.

To get Uber you need to go to the second level, the departures level. There will be signs on the floor pointing you where to go. They say “taxi” and “carro particular”. Follow them. They lead to one of three doors, D, E and F I believe. Just look above the door to find out which one you are at. Once there order an Uber. It will ask you which door you are at and give you the options to choose from. That’s it.

I paid for 41 reais for a ride to copacabana at 830pm and it took about an hour due to heavy traffic. My wife got one today at 1130 am and paid 40 and took 30 min. If people want to post what they paid to other neighborhoods I think that would add value so people can budget their trip properly.

KDS777 Dec 29, 2017 7:43 am

Only in Brasil would you have a pickup point for something like this on the wrong level.

Sounds like a concession was made to the taxi cartel.

Thanks for the info though. Logically you'd never figure that out while exiting customs on the arrivals level down below.

ajeleonard Jan 5, 2018 4:33 am

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 29226635)
Only in Brasil would you have a pickup point for something like this on the wrong level.

Compared to the logical system at LAX, where you have to go either to the departures or arrivals level depending on what type of Uber you order (UberX, UberBlack etc), or at LHR where you have to go the third floor of the car park?...

Nice that it finally works at GIG

KDS777 Jan 5, 2018 8:21 am

:D

I'm actually headed to LAX for the first time in 10 years. Going there in a coupe of months.

"Riders requesting uberPOOL, uberX, uberXL, and UberSELECT should meet their drivers on the departures (upper) level.

Riders requesting UberBLACK, UberSUV, or UberLUX should meet their driver downstairs on the arrivals (lower) level."

Xeno Sep 19, 2018 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Esmjb (Post 29226555)
Im starting a thread to make it easy for people to get the info they want. Yes Uber works from GIG and yes you should absolutely take it and you will pay about half the price a regular taxi charges or way less than those ripoff places charge that hound you coming out of customs.

To get Uber you need to go to the second level, the departures level. There will be signs on the floor pointing you where to go. They say “taxi” and “carro particular”. Follow them. They lead to one of three doors, D, E and F I believe. Just look above the door to find out which one you are at. Once there order an Uber. It will ask you which door you are at and give you the options to choose from. That’s it.

I paid for 41 reais for a ride to copacabana at 830pm and it took about an hour due to heavy traffic. My wife got one today at 1130 am and paid 40 and took 30 min. If people want to post what they paid to other neighborhoods I think that would add value so people can budget their trip properly.

This is helpful for my upcoming trip to GIG next month.

Does the airport have free Wifi where we go to order an Uber?

KDS777 Sep 19, 2018 11:37 am

The free wifi in GIG seems to work fine.

behuman Sep 22, 2018 10:12 am

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 30221982)
The free wifi in GIG seems to work fine.

Would not use a "free" WIFI network with my mobile phone, even not at home in central Europe. WIFI security is a major issue, better buy a data package with your provider before leaving home.

Xeno Oct 23, 2018 5:28 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 30233168)
Would not use a "free" WIFI network with my mobile phone, even not at home in central Europe. WIFI security is a major issue, better buy a data package with your provider before leaving home.

I use IPass which is supposed to give a secure connection

Xeno Oct 23, 2018 9:05 am

IPass did not get a secure Wifi, but I connected to free Wifi long enough to order an Uber that came within 10 minutes.

It all went well and I will likely use the same driver to return to the airport tomorrow.

Thanks again to the OP for such a detailed report. My pick up point was exit C on the sidewalk

Xeno Oct 28, 2018 9:54 am

I took an Uber today from GIG to JW Marriott at Copacabana. Charge was R55. However, I should have paid for a cleaner vehicle and better driver.

I checked to see costs of returning to the airport and Uber posted something like $145 with a notation about unusual demand. This is a Sunday but it is also Election Day so n to sure what fee I will be looking at around 5 pm tomorrow evening.

I flew in from VIX and when going through the domestic arrivals saw signs about Uber at Gate C on the departure level. I connected to the free Wifi near Gate B and within less than one minute the Uber came to me at Gate B.

Esmjb Oct 28, 2018 1:50 pm

FYI there is a new app 99taxi that is giving really good deals to and fro the airport. Last Friday my wife paid 28 reais from copa to gig. I haven’t downloaded it myself so I don’t know how foreigner friendly it is but something to keep in mind.

RafKa Oct 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Esmjb (Post 30366061)
FYI there is a new app 99taxi that is giving really good deals to and fro the airport. Last Friday my wife paid 28 reais from copa to gig. I haven’t downloaded it myself so I don’t know how foreigner friendly it is but something to keep in mind.

99taxi is not a very new app, but it's worth mentioning they're owned by China's Didi Chuxing so it is a reputable provider. You can use your facebook profile and link to your Paypal, so prob works well for foreigners. You have the option of ordering regular yellow taxis (discounted rate) or a 99POP which is basically the same cars as UberX but even cheaper (if you know how low UberX prices are in Brazil then perhaps like me you'll feel a little embarrassed of using 99POP as it almost feels like exploitation!).

Anyway, good tip.

Xeno Oct 29, 2018 4:14 pm

When I left the Copacabana JW Marriott today, the rep told me he uses 99 Taxi and it works well for him in Rio and São Paulo.

I went back to Uber but paid R69 at 5:30 pm for the better car/driver and was not disappointed. It took only 30 minutes to make the trek and the car was clean, driver did a good job selecting a route apparently not known to Sunday’s Uber driver.

allset2travel Jan 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 29253488)
:D

I'm actually headed to LAX for the first time in 10 years. Going there in a coupe of months.

"Riders requesting uberPOOL, uberX, uberXL, and UberSELECT should meet their drivers on the departures (upper) level.

Riders requesting UberBLACK, UberSUV, or UberLUX should meet their driver downstairs on the arrivals (lower) level."

Thanks for posting this!

concordian Mar 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 30370440)
When I left the Copacabana JW Marriott today, the rep told me he uses 99 Taxi and it works well for him in Rio and São Paulo.

I went back to Uber but paid R69 at 5:30 pm for the better car/driver and was not disappointed. It took only 30 minutes to make the trek and the car was clean, driver did a good job selecting a route apparently not known to Sunday’s Uber driver.

IN one of the above posts, it asks to go to Departures level, follow taxi signs and use D, E, F door to order Taxi. Did you follow the same instructions or can you share where you got Uber? I am also going to JW Marriott next month