Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

My experience as a tourist in Rio de Janeiro (September 2020).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold

Hi,

A quick report of my experience in Rio de Janeiro as a foreign tourist, as many of you asked me how it was.

I arrived via Sao Paulo on Air France. No problem at all entering Brazil with my passport and a medical coverage certificate (for the French people reading this, the certificate you have with your Visa Premier is enough, no need to worry).

I stayed the first 2 days in Sao Paulo, in the Pullman Ibirapuera. Average business hotel, very cheap rates, nothing much to say.

Sao Paulo was still under a lot of restrictions, so breakfast was served in room (under very good sanitary protocols).
Restaurants in the city were operating for lunch and dinner.
I highly recommend eating or drinking at the "Skye Bar" in the "Hotel Unique". Very nice food, view and atmosphere. More than reasonable prices if you are on euro or dollars because of how weak the BRL is right now.

I then flew to Rio de Janeiro with the Ponte Aerea CGH-SDU (Azul). I definitely recommend arriving in Rio via SDU because of how beautiful the approach is and the very convenient location of the airport, walking distance from the Centro.

Very different atmosphere in Rio de Janeiro : everything was open, people were partying, beaches were packed, especially on the week end.

I stayed in the Fairmont Copacabana : a hotel I highly recommend. Perfectly located between ipanema and Copacabana, very good service, swimming pool with awesome views of Copacabana beach. Very good safety protocol with temperature check and mandatory mask in public spaces (but not around the swimming pools).
This hotel is newly renovated, very clean and modern, very nice amenities.
Wonderful breakfast with buffet available (under a hygiene protocol).

I did the usual attractions a tourist wants to do in Rio de Janeiro : Sugar Loaf, Cristo Rendentor, etc... Operating normally, with the addition of mandatory masks, hand sanitizer and temperature checks. I was surprised by the number of tourists I saw there and across the city : it was packed with domestic tourists and some Spanish speaking peoples (especially on the week end).

As I am young and in good health, I was more worried about the safety in Brazil than the Covid : I don't know how it was before, but I felt perfectly safe walking around the touristic districts of Rio, including with my phone in hand (just like the locals). Heavy police presence everywhere in the wealthy districts where a tourist typically goes (copacabana, ipanema, leblon, Botafogo... all felt very safe).

Regarding the fight against Covid, I didn't saw the anarchy western medias are talking about : 100% compliance with masks when inside, and almost everybody wearing it outside. Also, it is not a problem at all not wearing it when it is useless, like when at the beach with few peoples around, or walking alone in a calm street. Police will not fine you for not having your mask when sunbathing in Copacabana.
And, hand sanitizer was available absolutely everywhere, with mandatory use in hotels and tourist attractions.

Overall, I had a wonderful time in Brazil. It was by far the best trip I had since the coronavirus outbreak.

If you are young and in good health, I see no reason to postpone a trip to Rio de Janeiro because of the pandemic, given you can return home without quarantine.

​​​​​​I also think that given the travel restrictions everywhere, it's one of the best exotic trip you can have right now from Europe or North America. And it's a very good time to visit because of how weak is the Brazilian currency right now.

I loved Rio de Janeiro so much that I am planning to go back there in early 2021 if Asia is still closed.

Some pictures :

Hope this report from one of the first foreign tourist to visit Brazil since months of closure was helpful

​​​​​
​​​​​

​​​​​​

Last edited by IstKong; Sep 20, 2020 at 11:17 am
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
REALLY appreciate your report. Thanks for taking the time to give us a recent first person take. Very helpful for those of us on the proverbial fence!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks so much for the report! It really has me excited and feeling better about my upcoming trip!

I wish I knew what insurance would be accepted as an American. I purchased my ticket with my American Express Platinum so no medical coverage there.
bulbmogul likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Thanks so much for the report! It really has me excited and feeling better about my upcoming trip!

I wish I knew what insurance would be accepted as an American. I purchased my ticket with my American Express Platinum so no medical coverage there.

They want to see a certificate that has written specifically Brazil on it, has a medical coverage of minimum 30 000 BRL (or equivalent in USD, EUR), and covers your travel dates. Nothing more.

The certificate don't need to specifically mention Covid, just regular medical coverage. Really, don't worry about it.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Have been lurking Brazil flyertalk the past few weeks and specifically made an account to respond to this. Just pulled the trigger on refundable flights to Rio and SP for February 2021, thanks for the report.
bulbmogul, LETTERBOY and flatdawgs like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:18 am

thanks for your awesome on scene report from also a serious lurker here as we are still awaiting for Sri Lanka to reopen there borders to travel. Looking more not so good by the day for November..
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Thanks for the report, good to know Rio's pretty relaxed right now.

FYI the area between Ipanema and Copa is called Aporador and though it has good deals its known to be a bit more dodgy then the rest of Ipanema, esp near the entrance of Cantagalo. Its pretty shocking how much cheaper that area is compared to between posto 9-10 considering they are only a 10 minute walk, a few blocks makes a huge difference. Also Copacabana is not particularly liked by rich locals, the beach gets dirtier and tons of prostitutes everywhere at night, dunno if I had a family if i'd want them to see that. For first timers really recommend staying between "posto 9" and "posto 11" is the sweet spot (Ipanema/Leblon), its the farthest from Cantagalo, Leme and Vidigal, means less pickpockets, panhandlers, etc

The areas near Posto 1-2 especially had lots of petty crime issues due to being nearby Leme, not sure if they cleaned it up.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Sep 23, 2020 at 8:12 pm
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PointsPanda
Thanks for the report, good to know Rio's pretty relaxed right now.

FYI the area between Ipanema and Copa is called Aporador and though it has good deals its known to be a bit more dodgy then the rest of Ipanema, esp near the entrance of Cantagalo. Its pretty shocking how much cheaper that area is compared to between posto 9-10 considering they are only a 10 minute walk, a few blocks makes a huge difference. Also Copacabana is not particularly liked by rich locals, the beach gets dirtier and tons of prostitutes everywhere at night, dunno if I had a family if i'd want them to see that. For first timers really recommend staying between "posto 9" and "posto 11" is the sweet spot (Ipanema/Leblon), its the farthest from Cantagalo, Leme and Vidigal, means less pickpockets, panhandlers, etc

The areas near Posto 1-2 especially had lots of petty crime issues due to being nearby Leme, not sure if they cleaned it up.

I didn't found the area dodgy at all. Sure there is a favela nearby (just like almost everywhere in Rio), but Police is absolutely everywhere. I never been to a place where I didn't saw police in Rio de Janeiro.

Arpoador was a very good location in my opinion. Lots of good restaurants walking distance and beautiful scenery.

For those not after beaches, I can suggest Botafogo, it has also good restaurants, and beautiful views of the Sugar Loaf, and well connected by the Metro.
PointsPanda and rollthere like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:34 am

I bought a 1 week $12 insurance policy from a company called Tin Leg. My work insurance covers me abroad so I usually dont get insurance but wanted to be able to show proof to get into Brazil, letter shows coverage for Covid19
rollthere likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
I used Cigna global insurance, got in just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.