FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Uber from GIG
Thread: Uber from GIG
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:07 am
boxo

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Mid-Rio stay, we went to Buenos Aires for a few days. On return to Rio, our flight arrived at 1 am. I requested a ride once out at the curb, but had a hard time finding our driver in the dark. He'd parked at D even though I tapped door C in the app. And rather than pull up at the curb, he was across the lane parked at the island. Thankfully, he was standing outside his car and didn't take off and cancel. He didn't speak English, but he pointed things out to us and was a nice guy.

On departure from our Lapa neighborhood hotel, as soon as we got to the curb, there was a torrential downpour with lightning and we sought cover under a news stand roof. Still at the curb, but dark because it was night, it was difficult to read license plates. Our driver pulled up, didn't see anyone standing at the curb, and drove away. Thankfully he got caught at the stoplight and we were able to load up. I can't remember how long the ride was, but we detoured a time or two for an accident and/or a closed street, but I would guess 40-45 minutes. The cost was R$57.19.

PS - Tipping is possible on the app unlike Buenos Aires.