Wiki Posts
Search

Best Lounge in GIG (Rio de Janerio)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Best Lounge in GIG (Rio de Janerio)?

I'll be passing through GIG in a week or so, and want to know which airline's lounge I should stop by and take a moment to relax. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I realize I spelled Janeiro wrong. Disculpe.

Last edited by lycidas1; Jul 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:34 am

What airline? Departing on a domestic or international flight? What cabin (economy or biz or first)? If international, there are two clubs downstairs from the end of the departure area: a TAM "gold" lounge (just for TAM gold-level passengers, I assume; not sure about criteria for high-level passengers of other Star Alliance member airlines), and a consolidated "VIP" lounge, for biz or first class passengers of a number of airlines (we used it when departing on US Airways Envoy Class). Only other club I've used is the American Express Centurion Club, outside security, at the end of terminal 1 (?). I saw a posting about an AA Admirals Club at GIG but have never seen it.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:19 am
Original Poster

I'm flying international on GOL--a very indirect route to Santiago. I'm a Priority Pass member, and their website says I have access to the Smiles Lounge, the AA club, and the United club. I have a couple hours to kill, so I'm not opposed to walking to the other terminal if the club is that much better. Preferably something with free booze and satisfying food . . .
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
The Smiles lounge is the former Varig lounge. United still uses it. Adjacent to the TAM lounge in Terminal 2. I like it.

Welcome to Flyertalk lycidas1
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by qfrodo
The Smiles lounge is the former Varig lounge. United still uses it. Adjacent to the TAM lounge in Terminal 2. I like it.

Welcome to Flyertalk lycidas1
Sounds like the VIP lounge. You should see signs for all lounges after you go through security and passport control. Turn left, walk to the end of the gate area, and go down stairs just before a Duty Free shop. Enjoy.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
GOL flies mostly from Terminal 1 so you will have only the AA lounge to use. Oddly the old Varig lounge (now GOL) is in Terminal 2 and is used by mostly Star Alliance carriers otehr than TAM, which has another lounge by itself. The lounges are airside and you cannot move between teh terminals airside, nor can you acces airside without a BP for departure from that terminal.

After you pass security and passport control in T1, you take escalators to teh upper level, turn right and keep going. The AA lounge is after the Dufry shop.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Is the TAM lounge a *G lounge?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Is the TAM lounge a *G lounge?
I just did GIG-CLT on Oct 31. The UA agent told me they had switched to using the TAM lounge. When I got down to the lounge area, the Smiles lounge still had a United sign posted so I used that as I prefer it to the Tam lounge.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by qfrodo
I just did GIG-CLT on Oct 31. The UA agent told me they had switched to using the TAM lounge. When I got down to the lounge area, the Smiles lounge still had a United sign posted so I used that as I prefer it to the Tam lounge.
Thanks. I will be flying CO GIG-IAH and I'll keep an eye out for the Smiles lounge. What is the shower situation? The GRU showers were "broken" in both the TAM and UA lounges.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:44 pm

The showers at the Smiles lounge at GIG were broken a number of months ago as they had boiler problems. I believe they have been repaired, but I haven't asked to be sure.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:35 pm

Thanks. I will be flying CO GIG-IAH and I'll keep an eye out for the Smiles lounge. What is the shower situation? The GRU showers were "broken" in both the TAM and UA lounges.
CO hasn't moved to Terminal 2, so you won't be able to access the Smiles lounge. CO offers access to an independent lounge named SEA.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by C010T3
CO hasn't moved to Terminal 2, so you won't be able to access the Smiles lounge. CO offers access to an independent lounge named SEA.
Thanks - is that lounge any good? The CO website says the SEA VIP Lounge allows *G members to bring a guest, is that accurate?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:40 pm

Thanks - is that lounge any good? The CO website says the SEA VIP Lounge allows *G members to bring a guest, is that accurate?
There is nothing really special about the SEA lounge, IMHO.
I never needed to bring a guest to the lounge, so I wouldn't know.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by C010T3
There is nothing really special about the SEA lounge, IMHO.
I never needed to bring a guest to the lounge, so I wouldn't know.
They let me bring a guest but the lounge wasn't special - just like you said! Both bathrooms were broken, the wifi was slow, and the food selection was mediocre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.