Reload this Page >

Best Lounge in GIG (Rio de Janerio)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Lounge in GIG (Rio de Janerio)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:08 pm

Whats the best way to get access to the lounge for one day? (GOLs Smile Lounge since that's apparently the only one open right now?)
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any updates on the GIG T1 lounges?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Wembleygal
Any updates on the GIG T1 lounges?
Nothing's happening at GIG until the new airport operator takes over in August.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mark Garretson
Whats the best way to get access to the lounge for one day? (GOLs Smile Lounge since that's apparently the only one open right now?)
I'd like to know to. Will *A Gold or Amex Plat Priority Pass get one in to any of the lounges with showers?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by C010T3
Nothing's happening at GIG until the new airport operator takes over in August.
Can you please confirm what GIG T1 lounges are open this month? Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Mark Garretson
can anyone report on any recent visits? Is it still the GOL Smiles lounge only with all the partners having access?

If I buy a oneday pass from United, will I get access to the Lounge at GIG?

Thanks!
Usually they honour almost anything from participants, but YMMV because not all Smiles lounge staffers have equal information. I have observed people entering with other *A day passes so you'll probably be OK with a UA one.

BTW, the AAdmirals lounge is on your left as you enter the Smiles lounge and has separate entrance. It follows the global AAdmirals Club rules.

Both sides are normally not too busy but are also somewhat devoid of nice facilities. However, at peak times both are overly saturated and often there are no seats at all. For the next few weeks (the remainder of June and July, I'd wager they'll be quite busy most of the time.

The T1 lounges are even more saturated.

All the lounges are to be renovated and/or replaced sometime in mid-2012. Nobody knows when mid-2012 will arrive but IMHO it probably will be in mid-2015 by non-Brazilian calendars.

In the meantime the BRT (express bus corridor) was inaugurated yesterday by President Dilma. Great! As she did that wonderful thing she stood on the bridge leaving the GIG area, which is not finished. We are promised quite a few stations to be open for the World Cup, which will probably happen because we have almost two weeks before it begins.:roll eyes:

The news is not all bad. Baggage service, customs and immigration are working very well at GIG. Maybe not so much at some other airports.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Wembleygal
Can you please confirm what GIG T1 lounges are open this month? Thanks!
Air France and ProAir.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by C010T3
Air France and ProAir.
BTW, the AF lounge is normally so full near flight times that there is not even much room to stand. much less sit. I do not know about ProAir.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
BTW, the AF lounge is normally so full near flight times that there is not even much room to stand. much less sit. I do not know about ProAir.
Which do you think is the better lounge? Thanks !
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by qfrodo
I just did GIG-CLT on Oct 31. The UA agent told me they had switched to using the TAM lounge. When I got down to the lounge area, the Smiles lounge still had a United sign posted so I used that as I prefer it to the Tam lounge.
I found that a couple of weeks ago too. I prefer the TAM lounge if it is not crowded, but the Smiles one if TAM is crowded. I have no idea how long we'll have a choice, but the new lounges seem to be delayed. I know you cannot believe a delay is possible especially when President Dilma assured the international press that "everything will be ready [when the World Cup begins]"
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:09 pm

Is Terminal 2 accessible if you land in T1?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by bedrocked
Is Terminal 2 accessible if you land in T1?
airside international no. You must clear outbound border control prior to going airside. Landside it's a few minutes walk, less if the escalators are working.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
airside international no. You must clear outbound border control prior to going airside. Landside it's a few minutes walk, less if the escalators are working.
There are electric golf carts from the end of T1 to T2. Saves a few minutes' walk. The moving sidewalks were not working the last time I was there (being repaired), but I assume they will be for the WC. International airline check-in counters in T2 usually open about 3-4 hours before the flight departs. A lot of folks waiting around, some sitting on the ground (few if any chairs in the vicinity of the counters) beforehand. Info counters also don't open until the same time.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta, Continental, United, USAir, Marriott, Best Western, Super 8, Holiday Inn
I am flying back to the US from Rio this Saturday. According to Delta.com, they use the GOL Lounge at GIG. Does anyone know what their current status is? Also, I am not a Sky Club member, but you can enter with an international Business Class ticket; at least in the US you can. Is that also true for the GOL Lounge?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: None no more
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
I am flying back to the US from Rio this Saturday. According to Delta.com, they use the GOL Lounge at GIG. Does anyone know what their current status is? Also, I am not a Sky Club member, but you can enter with an international Business Class ticket; at least in the US you can. Is that also true for the GOL Lounge?
If flying Delta business elite out of GIG , yes you will be invited to the Smiles (GOL) lounge. Have not been in it at GIG nor current status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.