Reload this Page >

Best Lounge in GIG (Rio de Janerio)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Lounge in GIG (Rio de Janerio)?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
I am flying back to the US from Rio this Saturday. According to Delta.com, they use the GOL Lounge at GIG. Does anyone know what their current status is? Also, I am not a Sky Club member, but you can enter with an international Business Class ticket; at least in the US you can. Is that also true for the GOL Lounge?
You do go to the Smiles lounge and a business class ticket is all you need. The lounge serves nearly all Terminal 2 airlines, including DL. The lounge is spacious, it was the former Varig lounge. The offerings are meager, cheap food and drink, but much more comfortable than outside the lounge.

Once you pass through security and immigration turn to your left until passing the security wall, then go right 180 degrees and walk a short distance until you see stairs on your right, just before a newsstand. Down the stairs the Smiles lounge will be 180 degrees right again and the DL sign, together with lots of airlines sbns will show your way into the Smiles lounge, such as it is.

Sometime soon new airline lounges will be bullt. I cannot define "soon".
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta, Continental, United, USAir, Marriott, Best Western, Super 8, Holiday Inn
Good!

The big question had to do with the admission since it isn't a Delta club.

On timing, my guess is that not much will happen until we get close to the Olympics.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:47 am

It is next to the American Airlines lounge. You'll see signs pointing you to VIP lounge. Used by several airlines so can be crowded. We're flying DL out of GRU next month. There the Gol club is not used by several airlines. GRU apparently has some new clubs with the opening of Terminal 3. GIG got no new clubs, and in fact lost its Am Ex Centurion Club (scheduled to, reopen within security), before the World Cup. Olympics are in 2 years. It's possible new airline clubs at GIG could be late.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta, Continental, United, USAir, Marriott, Best Western, Super 8, Holiday Inn
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
You do go to the Smiles lounge and a business class ticket is all you need. The lounge serves nearly all Terminal 2 airlines, including DL. The lounge is spacious, it was the former Varig lounge. The offerings are meager, cheap food and drink, but much more comfortable than outside the lounge.
Agreed on all counts, but it was comfortable. Definitely a lack of electrical outlets also.

The airport itself wasn't bad, as I've seen worse, but considering the size and importance of the city of Rio it lacks an awful lot. If the international airport is like this, I shudder to think about the 2 domestic airports in town...

Originally Posted by SoCal
Olympics are in 2 years. It's possible new airline clubs at GIG could be late.
They have A LOT to do before the Olympics. Luxury clubs at the airport may not have that high of a priority...
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed on all counts, but it was comfortable. Definitely a lack of electrical outlets also.
Do standard US or EU (German) plugs fit into those outlets? If not, are adapters being provided?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Do standard US or EU (German) plugs fit into those outlets? If not, are adapters being provided?
Brazil uses a plug different from the rest of the world. Bring your own adapter in case they don't provide. There is a least one US three prong plug. In the small room off the main area, high on the wall by the tables.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:24 pm

Yes, I saw someone using that outlet. I don't know if they were loaning adaptors. It was the middle of the evening and I had spent most of the day at the Barra Shopping Mall. Anyway, I didn't go to check as all of my stuff was charged.

It is an odd receptacle arrangement. I'll have to get some adaptors before my next trip...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Flying MIA-EZE with a stop in GIG. The MIA-GIG route will be in AA J and the GIG-EZE one with TAM J. I also have an American Express card. Which lounge would be the best? The layover is 3 hours 40 minutes. Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:42 pm

....the city of a Rio..... I shudder to think about the 2 domestic airports in town.....
Well to start with, there's only ONE mainly-domestic airport "in town" in Rio, SDU, and it's convenient and isn't too bad for what it is/who it serves. (IMHO) Have you mixed up Rio with So Paulo which has in-town Congonhas, international Guarulhos, and far-off Viracopos?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 pm

No, according to the map I have, there are 2. However, it could be more for private aircraft as opposed to commercial use...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:11 pm

No, according to the map I have, there are 2. However, it could be more for private aircraft as opposed to commercial use...
A domestic airport? Located where? Name/code?
Commercial, domestic intra/interstate scheduled flights, there's just SDU.
For private planes? Maybe Jacarepagua/Roberto Marinho (ICAO: SBJR) way out in the West Zone with all the traffic that often makes it hard to get in and out of town? My understanding was that it was used for air support to offshore oil platforms, for Air Force training, but not scheduled commercial flights. Maybe there are plans to do something with it for the Olympics, many events of which are supposed to take place out that way in Barra de Tijuca; the other promised transportation improvements are so behind schedule that they may not be ready on time for the games. Or could you be talking about the Santa Cruz Air Force base (IATA: SNZ, ICAO: SBSC) in Santa Cruz? Or Afonsos Air Force Base (ICAO: SBAF) in Marechal Hermes? I wouldn't consider them exactly as "domestic airport", but they would be considered "in town" I guess.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Mar 4, 2015 at 12:33 am
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
A domestic airport? Located where? Name/code?
Commercial, domestic intra/interstate scheduled flights, there's just SDU.
For private planes? Maybe Jacarepagua/Roberto Marinho (ICAO: SBJR) way out in the West Zone with all the traffic that often makes it hard to get in and out of town? My understanding was that it was used for air support to offshore oil platforms, for Air Force training, but not scheduled commercial flights. Maybe there are plans to do something with it for the Olympics, many events of which are supposed to take place out that way in Barra de Tijuca; the other promised transportation improvements are so behind schedule that they may not be ready on time for the games. Or could you be talking about the Santa Cruz Air Force base (IATA: SNZ, ICAO: SBSC) in Santa Cruz? Or Afonsos Air Force Base (ICAO: SBAF) in Marechal Hermes? I wouldn't consider them exactly as "domestic airport", but they would be considered "in town" I guess.
Just for clarification. SBJR is used for the majority of private and corporate flights to Rio de Janeiro, although both GIG and SDU also have some of those flights. There are very active helicopter operations and many "non-scheduled" commercial flights (in the US the generic description is "Part 135", a reference for the legal status of paid flights that are non-scheduled which can include both commuter flights and charters. SBJR has quite a lot of such activity as well as support for oilfield and other industrial activity.

Also, as you know, both SDU and GIG are international airports but SDU only serves nearby destinations while the seriously international activities (i.e. long range) are at GIG.

From an international travelers perspective the primary airport is GIG.

My local pilot friends who fly out of Jacarepagu tell me there are major activities expected during the olympics, but primarily those are dedicated to official activities of one kind or another and, as those of us who are residents know, nothing is very well defined so far.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Standard German plugs do fit, but not Schuko.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:13 pm

I came back from 2 weeks in Rio a couple of days ago. The GOL Lounge looks the same as it did before. There didn't seem to be any signs of upgrade work going on or about to start. To add insult to injury, the free Wi-Fi did not work anywhere in the building. That is pretty sad...

During my stay, I did a side trip to Sao Paulo to visit a couple of potential vendors. I left from Santos Dumont and returned to Jobim. Santos Dumont is actually quite nice inside...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:55 pm

I came back from 2 weeks in Rio a couple of days ago. The GOL Lounge looks the same as it did before. There didn't seem to be any signs of upgrade work going on or about to start. To add insult to injury, the free Wi-Fi did not work anywhere in the building. That is pretty sad...

During my stay, I did a side trip to Sao Paulo to visit a couple of potential vendors. I left from Santos Dumont and returned to Jobim. Santos Dumont is actually quite nice inside...
All current lounges at GIG will be closed some time until the new pier opens next year. New lounges will be located in the pier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.