Best Lounge in GIG (Rio de Janerio)?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Both bathrooms were broken, the wifi was slow
Oh, that's unfortunate.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Are any of the lounges open 24 hours? We will arrive from EZE to GIG on GOL at 2300, have to clear formalities but no bags as we will have carry-on backpacks so I am estimating 90 minutes for all that. The connecting domestic flight is at 0630 also on GOL so allowing for security, we should check in around 4am-ish. We have to do something from 0030-0400 and don't want to book into one of the over-priced airport hotels for such a short time. We have Priority Pass and Amex PLT to get into lounges if it helps.

If the lounges aren't open in the wee hours, are there any restaurants that are?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Tiki
Are any of the lounges open 24 hours? We will arrive from EZE to GIG on GOL at 2300, have to clear formalities but no bags as we will have carry-on backpacks so I am estimating 90 minutes for all that. The connecting domestic flight is at 0630 also on GOL so allowing for security, we should check in around 4am-ish. We have to do something from 0030-0400 and don't want to book into one of the over-priced airport hotels for such a short time. We have Priority Pass and Amex PLT to get into lounges if it helps.

If the lounges aren't open in the wee hours, are there any restaurants that are?
I don't think you will have much luck. GIG turns into ghost town during the night. I would even take food with me.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by qfrodo
I just did GIG-CLT on Oct 31. The UA agent told me they had switched to using the TAM lounge. When I got down to the lounge area, the Smiles lounge still had a United sign posted so I used that as I prefer it to the Tam lounge.
You used the right lounge. Signs we found called it a VIP Longe. We also used that one, twice, when flying US Airways biz class. My wife was happy, since the VIP lounge has showers, which US Airways clubs (even CLT) do not. The TAM club next door is, as mentioned, a "TAM Gold" lounge. We couldn't get into that. www.loungeguide.net calls the lounge you used the "Rio De Janeiro (GIG) Independent Smiles VIP International Lounge," and listed access as "TAP Portugal, United Airlines, US Airways, Priority Pass." Maybe it was a true Smiles lounge when the Smiles program was Varig's, as an independent airline (before it merged with Gol). Perhaps Varig still flies out of Terminal 2, though increasingly their planes seem to be painted over as Gol planes. Gol flies out of Terminal 1, so the lounge in Terminal 2 would not seem to be theirs anymore.

When CO and UA truly become one (sometimes in 2012; still a work in progress), I wonder if all operations will be moved into one terminal. Since they will all be called United flights, I don't see how they could continue to have two separate check-in desks, etc. Of course, many check-in desks are interchangeable (e.g., US Airways sets up shop in the early evening at gates used earlier in the day by others).

I think the lounge closes at 11 p.m. I don't know of airport lounges anywhere that are open all night. I imagine at least a couple of places in the food court, on the departures level of Terminal 1 (the one Gol and AA use) will be open in the wee hours, though the quality doesn't match the prices. We had a better meal in the Luxor hotel inside Terminal 1 (doubt it'd be open late).

Last edited by SoCal; Nov 12, 2011 at 9:39 am
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by SoCal
When CO and UA truly become one (sometimes in 2012; still a work in progress), I wonder if all operations will be moved into one terminal. Since they will all be called United flights, I don't see how they could continue to have two separate check-in desks, etc. Of course, many check-in desks are interchangeable (e.g., US Airways sets up shop in the early evening at gates used earlier in the day by others).
The UA agents are mostly all contract workers and they tell me that the CO agents are CO employees, so the UA agents are wondering if they will still be employed once the merger is completed. They still haven't been told anything.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:50 am

We will be taking Continental but, due to flight schedules, will be going through GRU rather than GIG both ways. We'll use the United Club (former Red Carpet Club) at GRU.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:26 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by C010T3
I don't think you will have much luck. GIG turns into ghost town during the night. I would even take food with me.
I'll be departing from GIG /on saturday 26, 6am, so I think I'll be checking in by 3:30am or 4am.. Probably at Terminal 1 (Taca) What is open there at that time?
Old May 4, 2012, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Villavic
I'll be departing from GIG /on saturday 26, 6am, so I think I'll be checking in by 3:30am or 4am.. Probably at Terminal 1 (Taca) What is open there at that time?
You might want to confirm just how early the TACA counters open, though people willl likely be lining up beforehand. Terminal 1 is the older of the two terminals and can get cramped (insufficient space for long lines). Some places in the food court in the terminal (or the restaurant in the Hotel Luxor next to it) may be open, but once you go through security you may be lucky to find a coffee/snack place open that early. An expresso and pao de queijo may be sufficient. I'd be very surprised if any airline clubs are open. You should be boarding the plane by 5:30. Hope you get breakfast on board.
Old May 4, 2012, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Tiki
The connecting domestic flight is at 0630 also on GOL so allowing for security, we should check in around 4am-ish.
For domestic flight in Brazil, you can even check in only an hour beforehand. Lines are usually not as long or as slow-moving as in the U.S. for example.

This site may have some info you can use for the wee hours at GIG:
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/casa/riodejaneiro.htm
Old May 7, 2012, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
For domestic flight in Brazil, you can even check in only an hour beforehand. Lines are usually not as long or as slow-moving as in the U.S. for example.

This site may have some info you can use for the wee hours at GIG:
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/casa/riodejaneiro.htm
OP will, of course, be on an international fight. I've been in quick-moving and slow-moving lines at Brazilian airports. Luck of the draw (e.g., staffing at that particular time, number of passengers with complaints or unusual situations, or large numbers of bags).
Old May 13, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Villavic
To answer your question explicitly, it will be a minor miracle if anything at all will be open then. In theory most of the concessions are required to be 24 hours, in practice they usually close by 10-100 PM, after the rush is over and reopen around 6 AM or so. YMMV. IME there are sometimes ones open but there is no apparent pattern.

OTOH, TACA will feed you.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: E50 MM
Terminal 2 TAM lounge is outstanding. United sent me there.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by lycidas1
I'll be passing through GIG in a week or so, and want to know which airline's lounge I should stop by and take a moment to relax. Any thoughts?
air france is very comfortable.free if you are flying BC on delta
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:00 pm

recent reports?

can anyone report on any recent visits? Is it still the GOL Smiles lounge only with all the partners having access?

If I buy a oneday pass from United, will I get access to the Lounge at GIG?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by Mark Garretson
can anyone report on any recent visits? Is it still the GOL Smiles lounge only with all the partners having access?

If I buy a oneday pass from United, will I get access to the Lounge at GIG?

Thanks!
UA is still using the Smiles lounge. Since it isn't a United Club, I don't know if a pass will get you access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.