Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BD16 this morning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2003, 12:43 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
AJ - an excellent description of travel on Aeroflot.. good luck with the mail campagain to BD on this - they really could do better. I saw the offending aircraft at LHR yesterday (from my lovely MAN airbus) just hope it isn't reassigned to my route.

PS - anyone know if the self check-in machines accept Miles&More cards ?
Old Jul 2, 2003, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GK:
I saw the offending aircraft at LHR yesterday (from my lovely MAN airbus) just hope it isn't reassigned to my route.</font>
The 732 does the third MAN run of the day leaving LHR (BD 586) and back to LHR on the fourth run (BD 597).

It also does:
BD 58 / 61 LHR-EDI
BD 183 / 184 LHR-CDG

I'm not sure if it does any other flights, but I would avoid them like the plague.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Response on the mat when I arrived back from GLA today (I drove, for once!). Blah, blah, "not up to usual standards", blah, blah "hope this will not dissuade you from flying bmi", blah, blah, "6000 Diamond Club points".

BFD -- although I get silver DC status 'cos of the Routepasses, all my miles go into my VS account. Anyway, that 30 year old 732 is still doing the BD16 run until mid August apparently. Grrr...

BC
Old Jul 4, 2003, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Eugh! I can't believe that (a) bmi couldn't have found another plane from LH or SK or indeed any other airline, and (b) how bad the tech delays are at the moment - e.g. this one.

According to the bmi travel agent website, the plane will be appearing all over the place for the next month or so. (How long can it take to repair a hailstoned nosecone?!)

Thanks to the first flight of the day from CDG being at 09:40, I have no choice but take the late night BD184 next week... Any tips on seats, or anything else to improve the travelling experience, on the manky 737? ... other than get trashed in the DC lounge beforehand!
Old Jul 6, 2003, 5:14 pm

My girlfriend and I had the misfortune to endure the European 737-200 this evening on the 593.

C class was cramped and horrible - seat-back trays were stained, seats fabric was torn and the old ashtrays in the armrested had been stuffed with so much rubbish that the stank!

No choice offered with the food (I hate tuna!) and only managed to come up with tea (i.e. no coffee).

Also, they wouldn't let this lady bring her trolley-bag into the cabin. It was clearly smaller than the bmi limit and there was loads of space in the overheads, but they refused it stating that European did not allow trolley bags in the cabin!

The other thing was the captain / pilot seemed to think they were driving a roller-coaster - we took so many hard turns, one direction and then immediately the other way again!

It's certainly an experience flying in an aircraft that was built before you were even born!

Anyway, a short complaint letter has been drafted - hopefully they'll offer better than membership miles - I'm only 2 months into having a gold and already 75% towards renewing it!

Cheers,

Richard
Old Jul 7, 2003, 1:58 am
Original Poster

In light of the uniform and abject horror with which members of this board view the European 737, how about some sort of collaborative response to bmi? Or at least a uniform approach for compensation? And no, 6000 miles does not cut it.

If bmi had a number of passengers clamouring to have their money back, then perhaps in future they might wet lease from a proper operator, not one with obsolete, filthy planes and incompetent staff.

BC
Old Jul 7, 2003, 4:10 am

Me and the Mrs were on it yesterday LHR - MAN. Can only reiterate what previous posters have said, the aircraft is horrid. Felt most sorry for the bmi person who's job was to apologise for everything.

TJ
Old Jul 7, 2003, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
If someone is trust worthy enough I can email then my real name and start a real name letter going to BD... This flight is one I'm now punting to BA.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I thought that these old 737-200s were already/soon to be outlawed unless they had hushkits fitted because they make such a racket and break the Chapter Something sound rules.

Obviously these rules haven't kicked in yet.....anyone know?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 5:39 pm

Just got off the European Aviation-operated BD184 from Paris. It was full, it was hot, it was 30 minutes late, and, by the end of the flight, I was fuming.

I shall spare you the finer details that BlackCat, ajamieson and pbsis have so eloquently described above. Except to note that:

&gt;&gt; Trolley bags are now allowed on board... Not that you'll find anywhere to put them. These overhead lockers make the ones on the Fokkers look big.

&gt;&gt; The harrassed-looking bmi representative makes out that we should be oh-so-grateful that "because of inoperative bmi aircraft, bmi has decided to use a European Aviation aircraft instead of cancelling our flight".

&gt;&gt; Despite the fact that bmi woman asked us to give comments to her, she hid behind the curtains for most of the flight, and shot right out of the door as soon as we were on stand...

&gt;&gt; ... could that have been because we were parked at a domestic (i.e. bus) gate despite the plentiful supply of empty international gates at 22:30 at T1? Why? Oh, I forgot, the aircraft must be positioned for the flight 9 hours later.

Of course, none of this would have been a problem had I paid GBP8 on some random low-cost carrier (although I note that both easyJet and Ryanair are flying shiny new planes these days). But on a fully flexible GBP260 fare on a so-called "full service airline", this is simply unacceptable.

Donnington Hall will indeed be hearing from me in due course.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 2:16 am

I know it's not quite the same, but look at the outrage when SQ operates one of its flights with a Silkair plane...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum88/HTML/001200.html

I for one would've been quite satisfied if bmi had wet-leased an A320 from Silkair!
Old Jul 18, 2003, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I was down in London with my CEO yesterday - he returned to Edinburgh on the crappy BMI old 737, I came back up on BA.

There was really thick fog at Edniburgh (almost zero visibility).

The brand spanking new BA A320 landed automatically. The BMI plane didn't have the required instrument landing system and so diverted to Glasgow.

One p*ssed off CEO.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 1:29 am
Original Poster

I have successfully managed to avoid the 737 through a combinatoion of later flights and BA. Yesterday did LHR-EDI, GLA-LHR. The automated landing on the A320 up to EDI was absolutely terrible -- hit the ground with an almighty thump and the pilot had to apologise.

Came back on an A321: 8 of us in 11 rows of business class so I got my beloved seat 9A.

Final thing -- I have sent bmi a lengthy diatribe on the evils of the 737 and a request for financial compensation rather than points which I will never use. If bmi were clever they would pay me the money and hope it's an investment in keeping me with the brand. I somehow doubt they will be.

BTW, it now appears that people with an Individual Routepass CANNOT use the self service checkin. We're only bmi's most frequent fliers of course. Grrrr....

BC
Old Jul 20, 2003, 7:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BlackCat:

BTW, it now appears that people with an Individual Routepass CANNOT use the self service checkin.
</font>
Why? I have tried and failed twice (as documented elsewhere), but neither time was it because it was a Routepass per se.

Old Jul 20, 2003, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by small em:
Why? I have tried and failed twice (as documented elsewhere), but neither time was it because it was a Routepass per se.

</font>
I'm awaiting a response from Donnington. Previously they told me that they "thought" that an individual Routepass would work. I have tried on four separate occasions at both LHR and GLA using a standard Individual Routepass issued 10 days ago with no joy. The only time there has been a bmi staff member next to a machine, they couldn't wok it out either...

BC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.