Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BD16 this morning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2003, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
On a similar note, I saw the Portugalia Embraer 145 on loand to regional at EDI the other morning. The Portugese colours had been covered up with some transfers but still looked a little odd.

Why does Midland need to borrow Embraers? I thought it had too many - hence EDI-SYY, LBA-ORK etc.

[This message has been edited by ajamieson (edited 06-17-2003).]
</font>
They may need some of the Embraers to feed their new hub at Accra

Old Jun 18, 2003, 3:23 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
Why does Midland need to borrow Embraers? I thought it had too many - hence EDI-SYY, LBA-ORK etc.</font>
I take it you believe these routes are there more through necessity to use equipment than for their revenue generating capability?

They replaced the F100 on GLA and EDI - CPH with dedicated E145's. The one they have leased in is probably more for cover than anything else.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 3:26 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StarAllianceGold:
I wonder why they don't bring back a 737 from bmibaby and let the baby customers have the European 737-200.</font>
According to the post on PPRUNE, the 737-200 is configured with 118 seats with 31 inch pitch. bmi baby#s 737's probably have pitch around the 28-29 inch level common in the low cost brigade. Give me the choice of extra pitch or extra elbow room and I'd choose pitch.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by House:
They may need some of the Embraers to feed their new hub at Accra
</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by BlackCat: the scummy 732 is going to be used until August. </font>
And it's cropping up al over the route network as well. Looks like I'll be enjoying it on a CDG-LHR flight on Sunday and an EDI-LHR Monday after next. Oh, joy.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by Gaza:
I take it you believe these routes are there more through necessity to use equipment than for their revenue generating capability? </font>
A scandalous suggestion

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">They replaced the F100 on GLA and EDI - CPH with dedicated E145's. </font>
But wasn't that to eliminate the rather cack-handed double-drop arrangement from CPH at EDI and GLA, which at one point led to the EDI-CPH service going via GLA?
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH must have some free 'unparked in the desert' aircraft after their cutbacks, no? I don't see why BD really has to charter these ugly and terrible airplanes to make the daily runs...
Old Jun 18, 2003, 1:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YOWkid:
LH must have some free 'unparked in the desert' aircraft after their cutbacks, no? I don't see why BD really has to charter these ugly and terrible airplanes to make the daily runs...</font>
Maybe because (as the saying in the UK goes), "they are as cheap as chips" !!
Old Jun 18, 2003, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Looks like I'll be enjoying it on a CDG-LHR flight on Sunday and an EDI-LHR Monday after next. Oh, joy</font>
Do me (and anyone else who has flown this bucket of bolts) a favour and complain vociferously to bmi customer services. Maybe if enough of us do they may (a) take some notices or (b) give some compensation.

Never mind the total lack of a decent C class on these planes -- they are 30 years old and look it, ferchrissakes...!

BC

Old Jun 18, 2003, 3:38 pm

Programs: SMWS
On a similar note, I saw the Portugalia Embraer 145 on loand to regional at EDI the other morning. The Portugese colours had been covered up with some transfers but still looked a little odd.

Why does Midland need to borrow Embraers? I thought it had too many - hence EDI-SYY, LBA-ORK etc.

[This message has been edited by ajamieson (edited 06-17-2003).]
</font>
I was on this a few weeks ago EDI-LBA. Full bmi crew, but Portugalia safety cards in the seat backs!

Old Jun 18, 2003, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bounty:
I was on this a few weeks ago EDI-LBA. Full bmi crew, but Portugalia safety cards in the seat backs!</font>
That'll be helpful in an emergency.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:16 pm

Had the pleasure of flying on the European Charter 737 on the BD61 EDI-LHR yesterday. Black Cat was not exaggerating - this aircraft is awful.

Bit of a crappy flight all round really. Arrived at EDI early in order to use the self-service check-in machines (I know, I need to get out more) only to be greeted with a scene of chaos. Turns out all the EDI-LHR flights were oversold - the start of the Scottish school holidays - and that BD61 in particular was showing +18. I couldn't VDB as they were only looking for volunteers for flights the following day or reroutes avoiding LHR. Given that they knew the flights were busy I'm amazed they chose to continue using the old 737, thereby creating even more problems. Shiny new self-service machine didn't work, but luckily the supervisor spotted me in the check-in queue and called me over and handed me a C class boarding card she'd printed earlier in the day. There were a shedload of other operational upgrades on this flight, although in the end there was no difference between economy and business. The manifest was a mess as people were bumped and unbumped...which in turn led to a baggage discrepancy. Pushback was delayed by 45 minutes because the handlers were having problems with the cargo door latch. Unsurprisingly there wasn't enough catering to go round in C and I went without. The crew consisted of a couple of European Charter girls and a bizarre looking BD rep who was not in uniform but wearing a BD badge. Because of the limited jumpseat space, this woman had to seat in a C class seat thereby taking up more room (and revenue) on a grossly oversold flight. It seemed her job was to stand about during boarding and repeatedly apologise to everyone about how sh*te the aircraft was.

"Sorry, no wardrobe today, no."
"You'll just have to keep your bag under your seat, sorry."
"Sorry, not hot towels today."
"Sorry, it is a bit cramped isn't it."
"No, the APU isn't working and it is very hot and sticky, sorry about that."
"Sorry, no more tea."

And what a rustbucket it was. The lockers were the size of a gnat's chuff and the first four rows are taken up with safety demo kit that hasn't been replaced since Harold Wilson was Prime Minister. The galley rattled during the takeoff roll like a tea-trolly on a motorway and catering equipment could be heard crashing down onto the floor shortly after rotation. The PA system might as well have been yoghurt pots connected by string as it was crackly and inaudible and the old recessed ashtrays (yes, ashtrays) in the armrests had been crudely covered using tinfoil. It was uncomfortably hot while we waited on stand because the APU wasn't working and the deafening roar on take-off was something else. And to cap it all, we arrived (very late) on an international stand and had to wait a further 20 minutes for busses to arrive at the rear steps.

Donnington Hall will be hearing about this.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Wow! Wow! Wow!... that's all I can say. Has someone lost the plot at Donnington Hall?? Surely they could have gotten an LH spare on a wet lease?? Or an SK spare??
Old Jul 2, 2003, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Urgh... I saw that 732 last Thursday. All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not flying it. I just shivered looking at it. I suppose if they continue to be as cheap as chips, their clientèle will disappear.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:21 am

Arrived at EDI early in order to use the self-service check-in machines (I know, I need to get out more)</font>
AJ, poppet, I fear you may have rather missed the point of the self-service check-in machine...

Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:43 am

I came too early.

Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BlackCat:

I have asked bmi for some compensation: if I wanted to fly on 30 year old obsolete planes I would choose a different airline. Couple this with the usual LHR chaos and I think I will be switching to BA until I next need the VS tier points. Grrr...

BC
[This message has been edited by BlackCat (edited 06-17-2003).]
</font>
Blackcat,

What response did you get from bmi when you complained?

I aint flying much at the moment, but I sure as hell would avoid flying on this bag of bolts.

Mind you it could have been worse - I think European were operating the BAC1-11 until about a year ago. That would be beyond taking the pips.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.