Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BD16 this morning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2003, 3:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Some of us may remember British World Airlines which was a similar operator to European Aviation (ad-hoc stuff etc). They too used ageing old dinosaurs of the sky. Returning from Belfast one Sunday evening I had to endure a BAC 1-11 which replaced a defective BA A320. I complained bitterly and I guess so must have many others as the BWA announced later in the month that 'the BAC 1-11 has now fallen out of favour with the airlines we work for' - the airline later went bust.
Moral is: complain hard - if BMI's top brass realise what a total outrage this is (and it is) then they'll drop EAL like a lead balloon.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 1:09 pm

G-MIDJ is back (in the UK at least).

According to [link this]http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=22a70eab753f9c19751b9f75d1fb6c 00&threadid=96340]this post[/post] on pprune she returned to East Midlands last week. Is she back in service and has the 732 been banished?

Nick

[edited to add link]

[This message has been edited by StarAllianceGold (edited 07-25-2003).]

[This message has been edited by StarAllianceGold (edited 07-25-2003).]
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
732 still being used at least until the end of next week. BD16 is showing the A321 back the week after.

BC
Old Jul 27, 2003, 3:45 pm

Finally got a reply from bmi - transcript is below (sorry about any typos!). Apparently my route has the lowest business yields - is this their way of saying they don't care about my business? I'm guessing this is pretty standard letter as they pretty much failed to address the specific points I made - I think the entire point of the letter is to state that they won't be offering compensation and wrap that up in a few apologetical sentances... Of course if anyone has managed to get compensation then please let me know and I'll flame tham a bit more!

------
Response from bmi:

Thank you for your letter dated 6th July, following your journey with us
that day from Manchester to London Heathrow.

I was sorry to learn of the dissatisfaction caused as a result of an
aircraft change on the above service, and apologise for the inconvenience
experienced. At present we are using the European Air Charter aircraft to
complement our own aircraft fleet, following extensive damage sustained
to one of our aircraft. The knock-on effect of the damage has meant that
we have had to take this course of action, although we would generally
use the services of a third party as a last resort. The aircraft is
scheduled to be with us for a 2 month period and will operate on those
routes, which have the lowest business yields.

The seat pitch is similar to our own business cabin, there is a two cabin
separation and a business meal is served. Therefore, the service is
deemed to be on par with that offered on our own services and
compensation is not being paid to our business class customers. I am
sorry that you are dissatisfied with the current situation and have
passed your comments regarding the presentation and use of the aircraft
to the relevant management. I do hope that despite your current feeling
on this particular aircraft usage, you will indeed continue to travel
with bmi.

On behalf of bmi, may I take this opportunity to thank you for your
support. I would also like to apologise for any inconvenience or
annoyance that has been caused to you.

Yours sincerely.. [name removed] . Customer relations executive
Old Jul 28, 2003, 1:31 am
Original Poster

The bit about "lowest business yields" seems to flie in the fact of reality. The EAL 737 operates on both the LHR-EDI and LHR-GLA routes which seem to have reasonable yields, particularly as they can fiddle with the cabin divider to ensure little wasted space.

The reality is that the standard of equipment and standard of service on the EAL 737 is not as advertised by bmi for their C class product, and if they were being sensible they would be offering compensation. I have certainly asked for it, as yet no reply from Donnington. On my flight (the ill fated BD16 that started the thread) there was no cabin divider and the food was lukewarm. And in any case, the seat pitch is not the issue: the width is not the same on the dread 737 as the extending seats on the Airbus.

bmi have an opportunity to steal a march on BA at the moment. Instead, an ageing 737 and incompetent installation of checkin machines are just serving to raise the ire of their frequent travellers.

BC
Old Jul 28, 2003, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
What a total nightmare! I was close to check-in closing for BD 592 on Sunday (LHR to MAN) and yet again the self-service machine was knackered and besides that, there was nobody on the fast bag drop counter anyway.
I did however notice the European 732 on stand bound for Glasgow so can confirm that the hideous piece of junk is still in service with BMI. It was like Heathrow in the 70's listening to its engines roar (and roar they do!)
They could steal a march on BA but the 732 is just not acceptable for premium passengers.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 3:28 pm

Programs: BMI blue, SPG gold, Netto yellow
First post!

I've just seen the offending aircraft at LHR - looks like someone started to give it a 'Star Alliance' paint job then changed their mind!

Incidentally, for all those frustrated F100 LBA-LHR passengers - A319s are on their way but not until March 2004 (according to cabin staff on BD414 today).

------------------
Old Jul 28, 2003, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Yep, and don't get me started on the slide in catering standards. For the past three flights the "beef" (and it is always beef) has been inedible.

So, inedible food, lengthy queues, inoperative check-in machines, rude check-in staff, obsolete planes... and when I first started my regular trips in April the service was pretty good on all fronts. From my perspective there has been a big slide in service.

BC

BC
Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:27 am

Welcome to FT, 3green
Old Aug 1, 2003, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pbsis:
Finally got a reply from bmi - transcript is below (sorry about any typos!).
------
Thank you for your letter dated 6th July, following your journey with us
that day from Manchester to London Heathrow.

I was sorry to learn of the dissatisfaction caused as a result of an
aircraft change on the above service, and apologise for the inconvenience
experienced. At present we are using the European Air Charter aircraft to
complement our own aircraft fleet, following extensive damage sustained
to one of our aircraft. The knock-on effect of the damage has meant that
we have had to take this course of action, although we would generally
use the services of a third party as a last resort. The aircraft is
scheduled to be with us for a 2 month period and will operate on those
routes, which have the lowest business yields.

The seat pitch is similar to our own business cabin, there is a two cabin
separation and a business meal is served. Therefore, the service is
deemed to be on par with that offered on our own services and
compensation is not being paid to our business class customers. I am
sorry that you are dissatisfied with the current situation and have
passed your comments regarding the presentation and use of the aircraft
to the relevant management. I do hope that despite your current feeling
on this particular aircraft usage, you will indeed continue to travel
with bmi.

On behalf of bmi, may I take this opportunity to thank you for your
support. I would also like to apologise for any inconvenience or
annoyance that has been caused to you.

Yours sincerely.. [name removed] . Customer relations executive
</font>
Uh-huh... I got the EXACT SAME letter of reply. Verbatim. Except flight and date changed.

All very polite. Except that it did not answer any of the questions in my letter. I was not travelling business, but in fact Full Fare economy - and arguably economy is a lot worse on European. It mentioned nothing about the delay, the bus gate, nor the disappearing onboard bmi representative. And since when is the after-work flight to/from Paris "low yield"?!

No miles or compensation either
Old Aug 1, 2003, 4:35 am

I'm on the BD54 tomorrow to EDI - that is I *was* until I read this thread. Thank god I did! Otherwise I would have been on that piece of crap too. Thankfully, changed to BD58 later in the day.

Pix.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 4:45 am
Original Poster

I got something very similar. One wonders how many complaints they have had. In any case, they appear to have a very short sighted customer service policy, although with the recent BA issues perhaps they are hoping that the travelling public will assume there is little choice. Grrrr...

BC
Old Aug 1, 2003, 5:34 am

Having narrowly avoided it, and made it clear to bmi that my reason for changing flights was because of the aircraft - I wonder whether that feedback actually gets fed back up the line?

Pix.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 4:25 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I saw the European 737 from the safety of the LH Senator lounge one morning last week, what a disgusting looking piece of old junk. It occurred to me that one of the *A airlines must have a spare short-haul aircraft sitting around at the moment - or are they all now back in service. LH grounded a number of short haul planes and it's difficult to believe they are all flying again. BMI could have done better than the European 737 if they had wanted to - yet more contempt for the passengers.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What can we say? BD is just cheap, cheap, cheap... I'm just surprised LH didn't come save them -- I'm sure they have a few extra planes lying around that haven't been sent to the desert yet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.