Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Business Class replaced by 'FlexiY' on LHR-UK/Ireland from 27 Jan 2010; end of Blue+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class replaced by 'FlexiY' on LHR-UK/Ireland from 27 Jan 2010; end of Blue+

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Raffles
My gut feeling (from a business perspective, since I don't do dom flights) is that this is not a crazy move. I am probably one of the last people in Britain whose job perks include 'J anywhere' travel. Most people are forced to use Y, even if J is cheaper, because of travel policy.
Correct (though thankfully, we are near strict cheapest fare albeit with some flexibility, so J is still possible on occasion).

The price differential between Flex Y and Infex Y is a red herring. Few corporates bother working out that buying Inflex Y and chucking the ones you don't use is cheaper. There is no point posting about the differential because it is meaningless to most travel bookers.
We simply book the cheapest and worry about the onward consequences later. In reality, even with mid trip changes to travel arrangements, this approach is usually more cost effective than buying flexible Y.

The Full Y flyer gets lounge access, free food and a seat at the front, plus some miles. It's probably as good as you could expect for a 50 minute hop to EDI and is still a substantially better package than EasyJet etc. BMI gets to cut its fare (or increase its margin) because of the APD saving. Life could be worse.
In general, I'm not too bothered. The Meal Deal was nice while it lasted. Now that I can no longer get my breakfast or lunch for free, I will simply pass those charges back to my employer, who will get shirty but will grudgingly accept that no complimentary catering means they will foot the bill.

When I'm travelling myself, I've already decided to make this the year of the train when travelling around the UK and there are more civilised options than BMI for my none domestic travel (come to think of it, BMI doesn't fly to any international destination I frequently go to any more).
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:38 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hugoagogo
Maybe. Just received an email from Diamond Club telling me I had been bumped to Silver from Blue+. I was only 14 miles short but if they are smart they should be automatically upgrading everyone within 3000 miles of 16,000. That would be the decent thing to do.
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Interesting.. so it seems (and no disrespect to the poster) that for some of their less frequent flyers things are improving and for those of us who fly weekly the benefits are being diluted?? Very odd business strategy...
I'm not as close to Silver as hugoagogo but they probably only looked at the status miles and assumed I flew with them regularly. As I live 90 miles from the nearest BD 'hub' it doesn't make sense for me to fly domestically unless I'm connecting at LHR. Since I'm already *G with LH, Diamond Club is my secondary FFP to which I only credited odd WW miles in the past since I could get more M&M miles for cheap economy fare on BD. This has now changed and the most recent flights were credited to DC.

Most of my status miles actually came from the Star MegaDo but they probably couldn't tell how I earned those miles.

@ ThatT1Feeling, rest assured nothing much has improved for me. I already have lounge access as *G when flying on BD. As a Silver I won't get any more privilege other than 25% destination miles bonus. Since I'll have to requalify for my SEN status this year or next, I may not be crediting many miles to DC in any case.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Well after the kick in the nuts of loosing the LBA - LHR route , this is it ...

Goodbye BMI ...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:42 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Was just about to book for BHD-LHR on 27th, and just flicked onto FT as a small "time-waster" and chanced upon this thread...

I normally fly PE anyway, and now have lost the 2+3 seating option just behind the curtain which as a *G I usually got.

With the loss of the GUV at short notice , and now nothing to redeem the new iGUV on this is really a superb way to cheese [toastie] off the regular high cost contributors to bmi's bottom line

Time to start looking at EI more closely as F_O_M indicates.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
BA Shares up over 3% so far today... can't be because of this can it? Either that or the calling of a new strike ballot Never understood the stock market...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
BMI seems to in the wet-lease business more than it's own markets FOM . It's gotta keep the engines warm of those A319's that have been "borrowed" from Dublin.

Once again - I'm not impressed much (although that sums up my thoughts of BMI at the moment), with the devaluation of Gold, Silver and even dread the thought - BluePlus, there's not going to be much left of what was BMI.

Theroeticly - it should lead to quicker service in the cabin without having to scan Diamond Club cards, however - I'll lay money that there will be always one credit card that doesn't swipe...

Just tell me why I'm thinking of the game "Lemmings" at the moment though....
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Good afternoon to the bmi marketing folks who will continue to guage reactions on this thread. Here's my observation:

Most bulletin boards are magnifiers of reaction - endless lines of people saying "I'll never flying bmi again".

You're not seeing much of that here; I have been on this board for years now and know the character of most of these posters. What you're seeing is people who travel regularly saying that there's no benefit to being loyal to bmi, so they'll make such arrangemnts as suit them. They'll do some bmi; but they'll also now be doing some BA or EI too. (In fact, for those of us in DUB, we'll be doing mostly EI, as bmi has near enough no service). That's the kind of sentiment that excellerates the demise of companies. It damn near killed EI when the called time on their TAB Club about 5 years ago. You'd better hurry up and throw a big bone to the Golds and a smaller one to the Silvers. And do it today, because the genie is out of the bottle. The clock is on. I mean a big bone.

Negative cash flow will kill the airline - and we understand the changes. The relative costs of re-instating a little "love" for Golds and Silvers will be paltry compared to the business -income and cashflow - that will be lost to rational decision making by us, your spending customers.

The mudular mayhem was stupidity; this is lunacy.

Last edited by GoldCircle; Jan 18, 2010 at 7:03 am
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
You'd better hurry up and throw a big bone to the Golds and a smaller one to the Silvers.
"That will be £4.50 for the bone sir ...."
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Good afternoon to the bmi marketing folks who will continue to guage reactions on this thread. Here's my observation:

Most bulletin boards are magnifiers of reaction - endless lines of people saying "I'll never flying bmi again".

You're not seeing much of that here; I have been on this board for years now and know the character of most of these posters. What you're seeing is people who travel regularly saying that there's no benefit to being loyal to bmi, so they'll make such arrangemnts as suit them. They'll do some bmi; but they'll also now be doing some BA or EI too. (In fact, for those of us in DUB, we'll be doing mostly EI, as bmi has near enough no service). That's the kind of sentiment that excellerates the demise of companies. It damn near killed EI when the called time on their TAB Club about 5 years ago.

You'd better hurry up and throw a big bone to the Golds and a smaller one to the Silvers.

Double miles means nothing in the context of and airline that will, in all liklihood, not be there in June.

I mean a big bone.
^ Agreed and very well put.

As you said I (like others) haven't said I won't fly BMI any more.

What I have said is that is more likely I will now go back to BA for my weekly flights as there is no longer any incentive to fly BMI and there is certainly little incentive for me to try to keep *G. I feel let down that my recent 95% loyalty has been binned with very little warning. For those who have been flying BMI for longer than me I can imagine you're more than a little miffed..
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
My gut feeling (from a business perspective, since I don't do dom flights) is that this is not a crazy move. I am probably one of the last people in Britain whose job perks include 'J anywhere' travel. Most people are forced to use Y, even if J is cheaper, because of travel policy.

[snip]

The Full Y flyer gets lounge access, free food and a seat at the front, plus some miles. It's probably as good as you could expect for a 50 minute hop to EDI and is still a substantially better package than EasyJet etc. BMI gets to cut its fare (or increase its margin) because of the APD saving. Life could be worse.
Well, I must admit, this is my take on it too. I think it's a pretty pragmatic response to a world that's changed. As far as I can see in practice most of the real benefits remain. The catering will change, but I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the choice of a decent fresh sarnie often beats a mediocre oven'ed gloop.

BD has to live in a world alongside Easyjet and Ryanair. If through dropping a formal business cabin they can provide a differentiated service at a price closer to what the market values short-haul air travel, then good for them.

Nobody's commented on the LHR-VIE remark in one of the reports. I reckon that's wrong. At best, it's OS borrowing BD aircraft? (And there's the sick leaning on the wounded. At least Herr Prock-Schauer knows who to call).
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Not a totally unsmart strategy - in essence they've repackaged and re-named C-class as part of a single cabin, allowing them to reduce the cost of "premium" tickets by avoiding the standard level of APD and at the same time making the tickets more acceptable (as Y-fares) to travel managers.

But I guess BD will be careful not to market the Y-flex fare as anything approaching its old business-class.

APD regulations do not focus on the designation given to fare buckets or the designation given to fare-types. They define service with a single-class of travel (i.e liable to reduced levels of APD) as one where the airline doesn't market a premium class, doesn't have different configurations of seating and there's no cabin divider. There's also a rule on maximum permitted seat-pitch.

I find the withdrawal of Gold-feeding in Y annoying, as I find any dilution of benefit, whether I normally use it or not.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by psollitt
"That will be £4.50 for the bone sir ...."
And we'd like the correct change please. And no credit card transactions under £5.

Edit: Going back to my reply above, I'd simply buy two bones, pay by BMI credit card and expense it.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Good afternoon to the bmi marketing folks who will continue to guage reactions on this thread.
I look forward to your "Good Evening" summary.

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
Nobody's commented on the LHR-VIE remark in one of the reports. I reckon that's wrong. At best, it's OS borrowing BD aircraft? (And there's the sick leaning on the wounded. At least Herr Prock-Schauer knows who to call).
I left my response at primarily because OS have four a day already, not two; so they're increasing it by one rotation to five via bmi metal? or OS are handing over two and bmi operate three on their behalf? or it's BS? or.......?

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Jan 18, 2010 at 7:22 am
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:23 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
On average, I fly domestically from LHR with BMI 6 times each week EDI & ABZ, sometimes GLA).

Why I will be reluctant to fly with them again: Firstly, I've never received any promo (even though I am signed up for them....and my wife gets them all, although she hardly flies at all and is DC Silver).

Moreover, they got rid of the Airbus in favour of the Embraer on the LHR-ABZ route (I could never get used to the Embraer, or having to part with my hand luggage which I needed to work whilst flying).

Now, any incentive to fly that route with them has disappeared!.....that paltry, disgusting meal deal, which surely did not cost them much at all, was just enough to keep me......but now, I will go for the comfort of the BA A319 and A321 with a free breakfast in the morning or a cookie with my drink in the afternoon. Also, the lounges at T5 are so much better than the domestic BMI one at T1.

I used to fly the LHR-EDI or LHR-GLA routes in Business for the comfort of elbow space after a knackering day at work. But now, there is no reason to use them as LCY is better for me than LHR, and so I'll go BA.

I had to book 28 domestic flights today, however, after receiving their email, I gave all of these flights to BA.....so just one more month of previously booked BMI fights left for me now.

I'll never say never, but it's highly unlikely for me to go back to BMI now.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
Wow, for a second there I thought I was reading an AC e-mail from four years ago: start removing anything of value that differentiates yourself from the non-competition in a race to the bottom, while spinning it as an enhancement.

I really hope that someone figures out how bad this move can be before it destroys more than it fixes. Well, that and I hope that BD as a whole survives long enough to be able to realize that. It's not filling me with a lot of confidence, though.

I'm feeling pretty sympathetic to everyone with DC as a primary program now. It's not looking up.

Hey, be far and accurate. AC did not eliminate business class from its domestic and transborder routes. In fact, it has significantly improved its NAmerican business class product, and upgraded seating in the back. So please don't distort and miscompare this move by DB to AC's changes. The only thing AC did, which all other NAmerican legacy carriers did, was remove free inflight meals and replace them with buy on board. So I repeat what BD has just done is nothing like what AC did, so please withdraw your inaccurate comparison.

The real piss off is elites losing any food offering, along with regular Blue members. One of the reasons I started up a BD account was for this benefit when flying within the UK/short haul intra-Europe.

While I can understand the economic rationale of dropping business class, surely BD could have considered an E+ approach as UA has done in its cabins for elites, i.e. designating the first few rows of coach for premium full fare and elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.