Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Business Class replaced by 'FlexiY' on LHR-UK/Ireland from 27 Jan 2010; end of Blue+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class replaced by 'FlexiY' on LHR-UK/Ireland from 27 Jan 2010; end of Blue+

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:17 am

Picking a sample date in March - taken from the bmi website:

GLA-LHR
Economy UKP35 300 dc miles
Flexible Economy UKP226 1200 dc miles

Obviously the Econ fare will increase closer to the departure date.

Still, seems like potentially a huge amount more for some extra legroom, a toastie and some dc miles!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:17 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
The benefits of flying in Flexible Economy:

•Business lounge access at both ends of your route

Flexible Economy Questions and Answers

Will I be eligible to gain entry to any of the lounges?

Yes, one of the benefits of Flexible Economy is that you are entitled to use our Business Lounges at your departure airport.
Is this just another example of left-hand, right-hand; forgive them, father, for they know not what they do -- or what? Lounge-on-arrival for shorthaul would be new, wouldn't it?

cheers,

Henry
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
*headdesk*

They just keep getting "better"..
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
"Economy. You've never had it so good"

I think I just burst something inside from laughter.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by GASUG
Still, seems like potentially a huge amount more for some extra legroom, a toastie and some dc miles!
Not even extra legroom. Unless you're lucky to get a midhaul, all the domestic planes have standard seat pitch, even at the front.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
It'll have serious implications for mixed-class redemption if, as reported, these are becoming increasingly difficult or even impossibe.
From reading the FAQ, it'll make no difference whatsoever.

Originally Posted by aidanc
... And the end of GUV/iGUV on DUB-LHR. Why bother being loyal to BMI if they totally downgrade the route like this (schedules and service)?
Only thing I can see no implicit reference to in the FAQ is Gold seat block and free Gold upgrade on awards. I guess we'll have to take it (with the proverbial pinch of salt, of course) that the status quo will remain....for now. Of course said free Gold upgrade will now come without the additional APD punishment.

I guess you'll be able to iGUV if you want, but why bother. In reality the only thing that's changed in respect of onboard service in the front is that you'll not have to refuse the microwaved gruel they occassionally served....which is a good thing.

From my own perspective.....all in all I see nothing to get too excited about here. All that's really going to be changing is a curtain, lack of, and free grub down the back for flashing your card.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Not even extra legroom. Unless you're lucky to get a midhaul, all the domestic planes have standard seat pitch, even at the front.
Now, if only you could earn miles on Virgin Trains!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Of course the Flexible Economy Fare on Domestic routes is the same as the Full Biz Fare (apart from the extra tax) - so using the argument that it is being done because people can't afford Business Class any more is just bollocky spin.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Well, at least the Bento Boxes will have died a death - or will they?

To me, this just looks like the deletion of the curtain/cabin divider and the end of the "meal deal" in Economy - oh and cheap(-ish) chort and convenient MR's in J.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
So now we are the same as BA: business class tickets without the business class (you just get the lounge and the miles). Except that the schedule is worse and the pricing completely random.
Lower rate Air Passenger Duty
That surely has been the key driver; with tickets automatically £20 (£40 now?) more expensive it would seem impossible to sell C class to corporates.
Complimentary food and drink served onboard throughout the day
This makes me assume that the rest of Y will now move to the BA model of complimentary food throught the plane at certain times, and birdseed/biscuit at others.

And yes, unless they identify some sort of schizophrenic discounted flexible premium ticket to replace the old D class, the idea of a premium mileage run is dead.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:51 am

Of course, as a Paddy, it makes my choice of EI or BD down the back simpler than ever most of the time; I have only two factors to consider now. Fly EI? or fly BD for lounge access and 300 status miles each way? at 2-3 times the price.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
And presumably for those of us on the MAN-LHR-MAN route, we get none of these new and exciting(!) enhancements to our service, except probably the removal of the free food.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by ajamieson
This makes me assume that the rest of Y will now move to the BA model of complimentary food throught the plane at certain times, and birdseed/biscuit at others.
You assume wrong....

Gold and Silver and Blue Plus Diamond Club cardholders who travel in any booking class lower than ‘Y' class will no longer benefit from a free sandwich and drink and a paid-for menu will be offered
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
And presumably for those of us on the MAN-LHR-MAN route, we get none of these new and exciting(!) enhancements to our service, except probably the removal of the free food.
MG, you should have tried a dummy booking and checked the pop-up before posting
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
For now.

Unless they really want to make Mr Walsh happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.